Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
tplink Posted:
Im trying to add
my HT802 vonage
adapter to my home
network. I
currently have
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Vonage behind switch
On Dec 05, 2016 at 06:35:11

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Oct 24, 2004
Posts: 3198
Location: Lakeland, FL

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

yes it does.

_________________
John
Webmaster
www.FileFlash.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Celeron
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Nov 16, 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe I should qualify my statements a little bit more. It does not work if you have wired and wireless devices. My phone adapter is the only wired device in the WRT54G. The rest of the devices connect wirelessly to it. The QoS only applies to wired clients. Wireless devices can easily overrun any QoS configured thereby negating its effectiveness.

So, in essence, it doesn't work. The QoS should be applied to ALL traffic that it going outbound out of the WAN port. This is how QoS should work.
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Celeron wrote:
You're wasting your time. The QoS functionality on the WRT54G DOES NOT WORK. I have the same router, I already tinkered with all the settings.

Please don't state that as fact, because its just not true. Many of us who have QoS working quite well and are getting flawless Vonage performance behind our WRT54G's beg to differ with you. I'm not sure if its because of the firmware you're using, or the settings you're using, but it IS possible to get very good QoS with the WRT54G. I'm not wasting my time - my Vonage adapter works flawlessly behind my WRT54G with the correct QoS settings.

Oh, by the way, you state that you can't get it to work "even with the latest firmware, 4.20.7" 4.20.7 is not the latest official firmware release.

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Celeron wrote:
So, in essence, it doesn't work.

Again, yes it does work. And I have both wired and wireless clients connected to my router. So please quit stating that "it doesn't work" - it may not work for you for some reason, but it DOES work quite well for many of us.

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
Celeron
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Nov 16, 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DallasFlier wrote:
Celeron wrote:
You're wasting your time. The QoS functionality on the WRT54G DOES NOT WORK. I have the same router, I already tinkered with all the settings.

Please don't state that as fact, because its just not true. Many of us who have QoS working quite well and are getting flawless Vonage performance behind our WRT54G's beg to differ with you. I'm not sure if its because of the firmware you're using, or the settings you're using, but it IS possible to get very good QoS with the WRT54G. I'm not wasting my time - my Vonage adapter works flawlessly behind my WRT54G with the correct QoS settings.

Oh, by the way, you state that you can't get it to work "even with the latest firmware, 4.20.7" 4.20.7 is not the latest official firmware release.


It is a fact. If you think its working properly its because you aren't testing correctly. Secondly, 4.20.7 is the latest firmware. See here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Download_C2%26cid%3D1115417109974%26sku%3D1121874579215&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

If you want to test your "qos" this is what you need to do.
1. Make a long distance phone call to someone. A local call is not sufficient.

2. Speak with the person, ensure the voice quality is decent in both directions.

3. Fire up your favorite FTP client and connect to an FTP site where you can upload data.

4. Start a large file upload, 40-50 megs should be sufficient.

5. During the upload, speak to the party on the other end. Your voice will be choppy and broken.

Note, this assumes your upload rate is ~384k. A higher transfer rate will mask the problem slightly because the serialization delay is lower as the speed goes up.
View user's profile Send private message
Celeron
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Nov 16, 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DallasFlier wrote:
Celeron wrote:
So, in essence, it doesn't work.

Again, yes it does work. And I have both wired and wireless clients connected to my router. So please quit stating that "it doesn't work" - it may not work for you for some reason, but it DOES work quite well for many of us.


Its not that it doesn't work for me, its that it doesn't work period. Testing with just basic web traffic is not a good enough test. You don't need any QoS in that regard.

If you would like to continue thinking it works great for you, that's fine. Just know that it is broken and you will probably may never notice it because your incoming voice quality will be fine, its the outgoing that suffers. In the end its the people you call who have to endure the poor quality, not yourself.
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Celeron wrote:
It is a fact. If you think its working properly its because you aren't testing correctly. Secondly, 4.20.7 is the latest firmware. See here:
http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?childpagename=US%2FLayout&packedargs=c%3DL_Download_C2%26cid%3D1115417109974%26sku%3D1121874579215&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

If you want to test your "qos" this is what you need to do.
1. Make a long distance phone call to someone. A local call is not sufficient.

2. Speak with the person, ensure the voice quality is decent in both directions.

3. Fire up your favorite FTP client and connect to an FTP site where you can upload data.

4. Start a large file upload, 40-50 megs should be sufficient.

5. During the upload, speak to the party on the other end. Your voice will be choppy and broken.

Note, this assumes your upload rate is ~384k. A higher transfer rate will mask the problem slightly because the serialization delay is lower as the speed goes up.


I'm sorry, sir, but it is NOT a fact! Please don't try to lecture me on "not testing properly", because frankly, you don't know what you're talking about and I don't like being insulted. I'm a computer and network engineer with 25 years experience in the field, and trust me - I DO know what I'm doing, and I have done sufficient testing and used it in this configuration for long enough to know its working just fine - with wired and wireless clients.

I have not tried the latest Linksys firmware - 4.20.9, nor 4.20.7, but with the firmware I'm using, I'll guarantee you that QoS is working just fine, and my audio quality is very dependable in both directions, no matter how heavily I'm loading the connection.

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
Celeron
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior


Joined: Nov 16, 2005
Posts: 37

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I find it highly amusing that you would pull out the "I've been doing this for blah blah blah number of years" card. That's really quite childish. As you can see by clicking the link I've already proved you were wrong about the latest version of Linksys firmware. You would also see, if you actually did the proper tests, that QoS does NOT work, as I've stated.

I initially did the same test I'm sure you're did. I did an upload, called my cell phone and checked the audio quality in both directions. It was flawless, I thought everything was great. So I tested again, this time with a long distance number, out of state, and did the same test. My outbound quality was terrible. I played with every damn setting on the WRT54G, none of them made any difference, which is not surprising because it doesn't actually do anything.

You claim to be a network engineer. Thats great, what does that have to do with voice over IP? Do you have any sort of fundamental understanding of how it works, the protocols involved, and what types of things can cause issues such at these? Do you have any understanding of basic POTS technology and that side of the equation? I'm guessing you don't because if you did you would know how to do the proper tests to ensure that everything is working properly. I'm sure you are like other people who believe that all of your voice traffic goes to vonage.com when you make a call.

Once you understand the basics maybe you can continue this conversation in a professional manner. Until then, I'm done with this thread. I can tell you, FOR A FACT, that it DOES NOT WORK, but you can think whatever you want.

Good day to you. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message
daygo140
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Dec 04, 2005
Posts: 11
Location: Northeastern PA

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I put the mac ID of the phone adapter in and labeled it Vonage and set the priority to highest.

For ethernet port priority I set all to LOW and disable. Is this correct?

I was told earlier no it isn't correct and I sure set the ethernet port priority back to the default settings, if this is so, may I have those settings since I had already set all to LOW and DISABLE.

_________________
http://www.dellarte.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

daygo140 wrote:
I put the mac ID of the phone adapter in and labeled it Vonage and set the priority to highest.

For ethernet port priority I set all to LOW and disable. Is this correct?

I was told earlier no it isn't correct and I sure set the ethernet port priority back to the default settings, if this is so, may I have those settings since I had already set all to LOW and DISABLE.

That's correct, except the default for ethernet port priority for all four ports is "LOW" and "enable", and that's how mine is set.

Please ignore the poster who continues to insist that it doesn't work, and all of us who have it working will continue to assist you.

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New oliviagw11
New Today 7
Yesterday 10
Total 99033

Who Is On Site
Visitors 106
Members 0
Total 106


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.84
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.77 Seconds and 451 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum