In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Ajay. Let us know how it works out. We all learn from that.

ajay
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Still no luck today Cry Was on the phone with Next Alarm and they can see their adapter so it is hooked up properly. At this point my alarm is devoid of any telco or Vonage interface. The ABN adapter is hot wired to the punchdown connectors marked "line in". The Next Alarm folks asked me to reverse the ring and tip wiring. Did that, tested the alarm and still no indication on the monitoring end. Of course they're closed now and I work again all day tomorrow. Just a small window of opportunity to work with them before closing time. I never did ask Next Alarm if my ABN was configured correctly and whether or not that might be a problem. My alarm seems to work ok, it indicates door/window openings, etc., and the alarm goes off when triggered. Just doesn't send the alarm to the output.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just out of curiousity, can you hook an ordinary phone to the alarm "line in" terminal (with the adapter disconnected) and hear any tones being sent when the unit tries to dial out? If you temporily hook your Vonage adapter to the line in terminals (so the alarm box has exclusive use of the Vonage line), does it try to dial out? Better yet, does it succeed in connecting to the monitoring service? At this point, we need to consider the possibility that the alarm dialing circuit is defunct.

ajay
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Is there any way to test the alarm without actually setting the siren off? It gets real bothersome and my ears are getting tired of the loud noise.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, you can always disconnect the siren. Other than that, systems differ. Medical alerts usually don't set off the siren. Likewise battery failure alerts. Some systems have panic buttons; of those, some are silent and some set off the siren.

ajay
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had a thought about 3:00am this morning. Early on when I was messing around(er, adjusting) the alarm, it dialed in to ADT and I, of course, got callbacks. Decided to remove the phone line to put a stop to that; alarm detects a fault and tries to dial that in; hmmm. I do have the programming sheet for the device and found the cell that contains the dial in phone number and although I can't see what that number was (so I could reinstall it later) I decide to erase that memory cell. Bingo, no more dial in to ADT.

Now, could the problem be that when my alarm goes off there is no number to dial since I removed it earlier? The ABN doesn't detect anything happening since the dialer is disabled. They don't (I believe) interpret the phone number being dialed, but they do detect the alarm giving a signal perhaps followed by tones indicating which device has been triggered. I'll try inserting some dummy number tonight when I get home and give it the umteenth try.

Thanks for sticking this out with me Steve. It's been frustrating but one hell of a great learning experience thus far.

Al
Remag1234
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Alarm, wiring etc. Reply with quote Back to top

If you are tied into a "central office" for alarm monitoring here are your options; 1- is to purchase a radio transmitter that goes directly to the "central office". Install it in the attic, be sure you have battery backup. Cost about $150.00.
2- keep your phone service for the alarm only. This is more expensive than the radio transmitter.
Hope this helps.
ajay
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Success at last.  I had 2 problems, both of which I discovered (stumbled across) myself.  The first was the dial out number.  I had erased it when I was still thinking of monitoring my system with a Voip phone.  It kept calling ADT and I felt I had no choice but to erase.  I programmed a dummy number into my panel tonite, tested the alarm and no response at the other end.  In reading the programming sheet for my Vista 20 tonight I noticed the report format was set up for other than contact ID reporting.  I remembered NextAlarm wants contact ID reporting so I changed it.  Tested the alarm and an immediate callback from NextAlarm saying they received a zone 3 alarm report from me. 

Thanks for some helpful responses.  If you want or need any additional information from me feel free to ask.  This was a real learning experience for me.
Lol

Last edited by ajay on Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Excellent! Well done.

ChrisFix
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ajay wrote:
I believe the wiring is as it should be inside the alarm. I replaced the RJ31 connector with an RJ11(I think that's the number), a standard telephone connector. I did that because the ABN adaptor uses the smaller plug and an adapter (RJ 31 to RJ 11) was supplied. I thought the supplied plug adapter might be defective so I wired the new plug directly to the punchdown panel and plugged it into the ABN adapter. I probably can't do a test until tomorrow as I don't know that NextAlarm is actually monitoring my system. My alarm display still indicates telco fault but since it's not connected to a phone it may always read that unless it can be reset to ignore that condition. NextAlarm will be who is monitoring my alarm if I can get things to work but at this point I am not activated by them. They did say they could tell if I'm getting a signal indication at their office even without activation. Steve, you've been very helpful and I want to express appreciation for that. If we were closer I'd offer to buy you a beer. Very Happy

I just added NextAlarm's ABN to my Vonage system and can help if you need.

The fault condition will clear when the alarm panel and ABN are communicating correctly, just like your POTS line. The thing to remember is what you stated in one of your posts - the RJ31 functionality is no longer required with the ABN. Simplistically, the alarm panel has T & R, which is supposed to be your telco connection (or Vonage connection when using VoIP), and T1 & R1, which is the connection to your internal home wiring. This allows the alarm panel to sieze the dial tone, disconnect the house wiring, and make a call to the monitoring company. With the ABN, all you need is a connection to the T & R of the alarm panel, plugged directly to the ABN (which is nothing more than a Voip Telephone Adapter with an FXS port and an ethernet port). There is no line siezing and home wiring to disconnect as you assumed earlier, you now have a direct connection to NextAlarms server, which is completely seperate from your Vonage service. If you have an RJ31 plug, you will have a Cat5 connection that allows the T&R and T1 & R1 to access the Telco and home wiring respectively. The ABN adapter simply takes the T&R from the Cat5 and adpats it to the T&R of an RJ11 (two middle connectors) for connection to the ABN. This is nothing more than a modem connection from the alarm panel to the ABN, which takes the analog signal and converts it to SIP for transmit to NextAlarms server. You are now free to plug your Vonage adapter into any jack and distribute service to your home wiring. The RJ31 jack *should* maintain a closed loop for your home wiring when there is no Cat5 RJ45 plugged into it, or have a selectable switch to disconnect the RJ31 from the home wireing (like the Leviton alarm wiring block does).

Again, if you have any difficulties or more questions, post here or PM me. If spent a lot of quality time with my home wiring and the alarm system in the last couple of months, so I've run into and have fixed most of the problems you likely to encounter.

Also, your alarm panel communicator (basically a modem) needs to be set to an ouput format of Contact ID for NextAlarm. If they don't see your signals, and the wiring checks out, this is something to check. You'll need installer codes and the manual for your panel to know how to set this. If you have a DSC 832 PC5010, I can give you step by steps on programming that as well.