How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
j-card
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Accuracy Reply with quote Back to top

Of all of the meters I have tried so far, Line Speed Meter V3.0 is the most accurate...

Please vote on how you would rate your service! Lets see what people really think!
Canada
UK
US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tdwoodbury
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, my calls sound flawless when downloading and normal web surfing, etc. The only time I get any kind of interference is when I do have a decent size upload need (2 MB ftp, MSX synchronization, etc.)

Do you guys get crystal clear calls DURING UPLOAD or is your QoS still somewhat limited and you get sporatic chop/static/other in your setup?

If you guys still get a little bit of interference, I would be happy with the tiny bit of "bad cell reception" quality my callers are hearing, but if you can get rid of it all, I want to keep tweaking this thing.
Celeron
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3rd Party QoS Reply with quote Back to top

j-card wrote:
It may, but I do not use them. I would first ensure that the QoS settings are correct, and if they are, you can try a third party firmware and see if that makes an improvement Cool

I have a WRT54G running the latest 4.20.7 firmware from Linksys. The QoS options DO NOT work. Playing with them is pointless.

You need third party firmware or another box to handle the qos.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tdwoodbury wrote:
Ok, my calls sound flawless when downloading and normal web surfing, etc. The only time I get any kind of interference is when I do have a decent size upload need (2 MB ftp, MSX synchronization, etc.)

Do you guys get crystal clear calls DURING UPLOAD or is your QoS still somewhat limited and you get sporatic chop/static/other in your setup?

If you guys still get a little bit of interference, I would be happy with the tiny bit of "bad cell reception" quality my callers are hearing, but if you can get rid of it all, I want to keep tweaking this thing.

I had the exact same problem with the QoS in my WRTP54G (Vonage supplied router), along with a list of other issues. Native firmware on my new WRT54G V4 helped, but the unit REALLY shined when I put HyperWRT Tofu 10 on it. Tofu fixed the QoS, gave me FAR more options in the QoS traffic shaping, and fixed many other things, like working UPnP, ability to run startup scripts so I could fix the infamous hanging connections bug that causes major issues with BitTorrent, etc etc.

Older versions of HyperWRT, such as the year-old 2.0 (still the official build on the HyperWRT home page) do little for QoS, but the newer builds by some of the new volunteer gurus like Tofu (for the WRT54G series) and Thibor (for the WRT54GS series) REALLY seem to make a difference.

Go to www.linksysinfo.org or www.hyperwrt.org and check in the FORUMS (not the home pages) of both sites. Both authors publish their work in the forums there. You can also learn a lot about some of the even cooler (though more invasive) firmware versions available. DD-WRT is probably the most capable (and least like the native Linksys firmware) 3rd party version. I chose HyperWRT because they stick the closest to the native Linksys code, while adding features and fixing bugs and performance issues.

Obviously, if you have a WRT54G V5, though, you're outta luck Sad

tdwoodbury
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah,

I just spent the past 3 hours trying everything:

* Upstream bandwidth - auto and every setting from 200 - 500
* MAC highest priority
* Port high priority
* Every combination of the three above

I even got desparate and scrapped the whole config... tried the Voip between the cable modem and the router to see if QoS was really doing anything AT ALL. There is enough improvement to keep the QoS of the Linksys and the Voip behind the router, but its annoying enough for me to actually try Hyper.

I also spent an hour or so reading every single forum that you posted. Man there are so many different ways. I think I may try hyper as a start and revert back if i need to. I dont know about the dd-wwrt. I checked out all the comparisons but I dont have time to upgrade firmware all the time. I really just wish it could work decent without me having to custom everything.

I'm really wondering if this is a Comcast thing and not necessarily my router.

BTW - I have a gen1 54GS so no advantage with the 4 unless I bought a new one. Who knows, I'll probably try the Hyper tonight cuz I'm a f'in perfectionist.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tdwoodbury wrote:

I also spent an hour or so reading every single forum that you posted. Man there are so many different ways. I think I may try hyper as a start and revert back if i need to. I dont know about the dd-wwrt. I checked out all the comparisons but I dont have time to upgrade firmware all the time. I really just wish it could work decent without me having to custom everything.

Hyper (Thibor or Tofu) are really the closest thing to the native firmware. They both refer back to the Linksys code whenever a new Linksys release comes out, and re-integrate the Linksys bug fixes with their own. DD and some of the others gave up completely on official Linksys code and went their own path.

This gives DD the major advantage of being able to go out and do INSANE things with the router, and add features Linksys never dreamed of. But if you are looking for the smallest change to get the job done, Hyper's good stuff.

Load it up, do the 30 second reset button reboot to clear NVRAM and make sure the firmware is settled in place, then reset your configurations manually (do not, ever, try to restore configuration settings from one firmware to another. Bad idea), and I think you'll like what you see.

NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tdwoodbury wrote:

PS: It COULD be a Comcast thing. Have you tried hooking your Vonage adapter straight to your modem? That would completely and utterly eliminate the router, once and for all. If your audio is still crappy and choppy hooked directly to your modem, then, sorry, ain't nothin' anyone can do for you, except Comcast.

tdwoodbury
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
tdwoodbury wrote:

PS: It COULD be a Comcast thing. Have you tried hooking your Vonage adapter straight to your modem? That would completely and utterly eliminate the router, once and for all. If your audio is still crappy and choppy hooked directly to your modem, then, sorry, ain't nothin' anyone can do for you, except Comcast.

That was exactly what I tried! The direct connect of Vonage to Comcast is horrible compared to QoS with the Linksys. Call quality with no upstream is perfect when directly connected, but the second an upload happens its worse than with no QoS that the Linksys gives me. At least the Linksys cuts all the chop out and just leaves me with more static than chop.

Ok, off to try Thibors Hyper...
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Accuracy Reply with quote Back to top

j-card wrote:
Of all of the meters I have tried so far, Line Speed Meter V3.0 is the most accurate...

I just downloaded it and tried it out. Nice stuff. I'll leave it running once every 1/2 hour or so for a few days and see what my connections say. So far, the one test I've done shows my upload right at spec, but my download is 1/2 what it should be.

Thanks for the tip!

NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tdwoodbury wrote:
The direct connect of Vonage to Comcast is horrible compared to QoS with the Linksys.

Something is terribly wrong here.

If you connect direct to Comcast, then QoS should not be an issue at all because the Vonage device should be the ONLY thing talking at ALL. If your ENTIRE Internet connection still gives you bad calls, then you need to call Comcast. Especially with the high quality numbers you are getting from speed tests. Either that or your Vonage adapter is defective.

Still, the HyperWRT can't hurt anything, and you'll have a better router for it, but no router should always run circles around ANY router...