Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
Dwightkaw Posted:
kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; o dochodach
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
kredyt bez zaświadczeń
On Dec 03, 2016 at 03:27:10

Kevingrarl Posted:
Су
95;ас&
#1085;иl
1;
пі
76;пр&
#1080;&
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Сучас&
On Dec 02, 2016 at 12:51:38

IsaawUnace Posted:
does cialis work
as well as cialis
add.cgi buy
cialis cialis
the team <a
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Condition good pill instead of ed
On Dec 01, 2016 at 11:11:59

MatrickVop Posted:
buy cialis today
columbus oh
generic cialis
buy cialis online
registered users
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Classify miserly pills no means
On Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42:47

dracossumo Posted:
Ко
84;па&
#1085;иn
3; Tritel
пр
77;до
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
&#1048;&#1085;&#1090;&#1077;&#1088;&
On Nov 27, 2016 at 23:00:39

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
groveboy
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Nov 30, 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Hooking up Linksys wireless Voip box behind Smoothwall Reply with quote Back to top



What up all, just got Vonage.

I originally had a smoothwall firewall/nat router box hooked up to my cable ISP that ran to a switch for my PC and PS2. I signed up for Vonage with the wireless Linksys box. I would still like to keep my smoothwall with it.

Is there a way I can hook up the linksys router after my smoothwall router? Someone told me to turn off the NAT/Firewall option which would turn off the DHCP server of the linksys.

Now, would I plug the CAT 5 from my smoothwall into the WAN port or into a LAN port on the router?

Any help would be appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Hooking up Linksys wireless Voip box behind Smoothwall Reply with quote Back to top

groveboy wrote:


What up all, just got Vonage.

I originally had a smoothwall firewall/nat router box hooked up to my cable ISP that ran to a switch for my PC and PS2. I signed up for Vonage with the wireless Linksys box. I would still like to keep my smoothwall with it.

Is there a way I can hook up the linksys router after my smoothwall router? Someone told me to turn off the NAT/Firewall option which would turn off the DHCP server of the linksys.

Now, would I plug the CAT 5 from my smoothwall into the WAN port or into a LAN port on the router?

Any help would be appreciated.


I don't know a lot about Smoothwall, but I can tell you that putting your Vonage router behind any good firewall should.. just... work.

I just added a WRT54G in front of my WRTP54G because the WRTP54G couldn't handle my network traffic and kept locking up on me. I added HyperWRT to the WRT54G so I had real, honest-to-goodness QoS, plugged the WRTP54G into WRT54G Port 4, set Port 4 QoS on the WRT54G to HIGH, turned off almost everything on the WRTP54G, and relegated it to Vonage duty ONLY.

Net result, simply plugging the WRTP54G into a LAN port of the WRT54G gave me full, unfettered Vonage access with no problems whatsoever. No port forwarding, no messing about, it just worked.

I assume the Smoothwall firewall will do the same. If not, you may have to forward a bunch of Vonage ports to the Vonage router (10,000-20,000, and a few others - see the Vonage help pages for a list). But I doubt that will be necessary with a good router.
View user's profile Send private message
groveboy
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Nov 30, 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Cool....

In essence, I want to have the cable modem hooked to the smoothwall which is a NAT router/firewall the smoothwall has one lan port. I used to use a SMC switch for my pc's, but it always locks up. So i want to put the linksys in its place for the wirelss but have it function as a switch. I want the smoothwall to handle the DHCP serving.
View user's profile Send private message
HunterMcD
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior


Joined: Aug 05, 2005
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'v never tried my Vonage box behind my smoothie, since the smoothie is at work. But I do have a similar setup to NateHoy I have my RPT300 behind a WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware. I forward the ports that Vonage recomends to forward just because I feel like it.

BTW welcome to the forum, are you Cmccul5149 on the smoothie forum?

_________________
Cox 4Mbps/512kbps, Surfboard 5120 -> WRT54G (DD-WRT v.23 F/W) -> RTP300 (WAN)
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

groveboy wrote:
Cool....

In essence, I want to have the cable modem hooked to the smoothwall which is a NAT router/firewall the smoothwall has one lan port. I used to use a SMC switch for my pc's, but it always locks up. So i want to put the linksys in its place for the wirelss but have it function as a switch. I want the smoothwall to handle the DHCP serving.


Hmmm.. That SHOULD work. Just turn off all the NAT on the Vonage router (but I think you knew that already...)

I gotta be honest, though, that I'm less than impressed with the Vonage supplied routers. I have a WRTP54G, and I just put it behind a WRT54G (HyperWRT) due to performance/reliability problems.

In my opinion, just my opinion mind you, it might be better for you to just go out and get a switch, and connect all your computers and your Vonage router to the switch. Then the Vonage router is just another client, and doesn't have other traffic crammed through it.

But, it could be that disabling all of the DHCP and most of the other features of the Vonage router makes it a workable unit. Worth a try, anyway. Then if it gives you trouble, you can always add a switch in the middle and turn the Vonage router into a Vonage-only unit like I have.

_________________
Comcast Cable (3m down / 256k up) -> Linksys BEFCMU10 v2 (DOCSIS 1.0) -> WRT54G v4 ("Tomato" firmware) -> the rest of my network including a WRTP54G (Firmware: 5.01.04)
My Vonage Self-Help Guides: http://vonage.nmhoy.net
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisFix
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Sep 06, 2005
Posts: 282
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Alternate solution is to pick up a PAP2 and use it with your existing router (in my case the WRT54G with QoS). I know there are lots of folks who don't think it has good voice quality, but I have no problems with mine and I don't rely on Vonage firmware or support for my router which is important to me. I also picked up a "spare" PAP2 from Staples for $25 after their rebate (that required NO service activation), so if you look around, you can get one pretty cheaply.
View user's profile Send private message
groveboy
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Nov 30, 2005
Posts: 9

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HunterMcD wrote:
I'v never tried my Vonage box behind my smoothie, since the smoothie is at work. But I do have a similar setup to NateHoy I have my RPT300 behind a WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware. I forward the ports that Vonage recomends to forward just because I feel like it.

BTW welcome to the forum, are you Cmccul5149 on the smoothie forum?


Lol...yea that was me. Whoring around for any kind of help/info.

Gotta say tho..I'm impressed with the phone service. Crystal clear so far.
View user's profile Send private message
HunterMcD
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior


Joined: Aug 05, 2005
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ChrisFix wrote:
Alternate solution is to pick up a PAP2 and use it with your existing router (in my case the WRT54G with QoS). I know there are lots of folks who don't think it has good voice quality, but I have no problems with mine and I don't rely on Vonage firmware or support for my router which is important to me. I also picked up a "spare" PAP2 from Staples for $25 after their rebate (that required NO service activation), so if you look around, you can get one pretty cheaply.


My PAP was _GREAT_ other than one day I came home and it was a solid red light, called tech support and they said that it's dead and I need to go to the store I bought it from and have them exchange it, which then I informed them that I had was _told_ by Linksys that Vonage handels all faulty equipment and not to bring it back to the store, then I followed up with reading them the warrenty paragraph in the manule

I love that my Vonage is crystal clear also, only problem I am starting to run in to is I use to play Diablo 2 online and not it lags a whole lot.... Even when not on the phone, but that may have something to do with QoS or the Beta DD-WRT firmware thats out of date... ( I need to update)

_________________
Cox 4Mbps/512kbps, Surfboard 5120 -> WRT54G (DD-WRT v.23 F/W) -> RTP300 (WAN)
View user's profile Send private message
ChrisFix
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Sep 06, 2005
Posts: 282
Location: North Carolina

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

HunterMcD wrote:
ChrisFix wrote:
Alternate solution is to pick up a PAP2 and use it with your existing router (in my case the WRT54G with QoS). I know there are lots of folks who don't think it has good voice quality, but I have no problems with mine and I don't rely on Vonage firmware or support for my router which is important to me. I also picked up a "spare" PAP2 from Staples for $25 after their rebate (that required NO service activation), so if you look around, you can get one pretty cheaply.


My PAP was _GREAT_ other than one day I came home and it was a solid red light, called tech support and they said that it's dead and I need to go to the store I bought it from and have them exchange it, which then I informed them that I had was _told_ by Linksys that Vonage handels all faulty equipment and not to bring it back to the store, then I followed up with reading them the warrenty paragraph in the manule

I love that my Vonage is crystal clear also, only problem I am starting to run in to is I use to play Diablo 2 online and not it lags a whole lot.... Even when not on the phone, but that may have something to do with QoS or the Beta DD-WRT firmware thats out of date... ( I need to update)


I agree with you that the lag on Diablo 2 is in all likelyhood associated with your DD-WRT firmware and has nothing to do with the PAP2.

What happened with your warranty claim? The PAP2 manual clearly says that we have a warranty with Linksys - so you would think that they should be the prime in dealing with it.
View user's profile Send private message
HunterMcD
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior


Joined: Aug 05, 2005
Posts: 114

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ChrisFix wrote:


I agree with you that the lag on Diablo 2 is in all likelyhood associated with your DD-WRT firmware and has nothing to do with the PAP2.

What happened with your warranty claim? The PAP2 manual clearly says that we have a warranty with Linksys - so you would think that they should be the prime in dealing with it.


Linksys said that all support for the PAP2 is provided through Vonage. I was able to get my , hard to understand, tech support personal to do an RMA so it was all good in the end Smile

_________________
Cox 4Mbps/512kbps, Surfboard 5120 -> WRT54G (DD-WRT v.23 F/W) -> RTP300 (WAN)
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New Dwightkaw
New Today 2
Yesterday 9
Total 98997

Who Is On Site
Visitors 82
Members 0
Total 82


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.57
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.76 Seconds and 524 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum