How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Navid200
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Should I change my cable modem? Reply with quote Back to top

I asked Time Warner and was told that I could just walk into one of their offices with the modem and ask them to give me a new one.

The one I have is DOCSIS 1.1. Is there any point in getting a DOCSIS 2 modem? Will it improve Voip?
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

your question is so vague it's virtually unanswerable. going with what I know about time warner and your lack of specific complaint, I'd say no. if you want a better guess, tell us the modem you have and speed results. but I bet the answer will still be no. comcast and some other isp's screwed up their network with some of their modems, but I haven't noticed any time warner issues.

Vonager
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You will get all sorts of (conflicting) responses to your (controversial?) question...

I can confirm that TW/RR will replace your modem for free if you originally got it from them. I did. You just walk into one of their service centers w/ your old modem and power supply, and pick a different one from what they have on hand. (I'd call first and speak to knowledgeable person to see what they have/specs and do some quick research so that you're armed w/ info ahead of time.)

I think they carry a Toshiba PCX 2600 that is a DOCSIS 2. If you can get a Motorola SB that is DOCSIS 2 from TW, I'd sure get one of those.

Getting your modem swapped out to DOCSIS 2 w/ TW/RR doesn't hurt. It shouldn't make things worse. It "might" make things better. I'd run several speed tests at different times (testyourvoip.com) to have a before and after view for comparisons.

In my experience, it made things somewhat better in less dropped connections, but I also swapped my RT31P2 for a RTP300 and my 6-yr old modem for a DOCSIS 2 about the same time. YMMV.
ChrisFix
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I exchanged my Moto SB4100 for a Moto SB5100 last week at my local walk-in TWC office in North Carolina. My SB4100 actually worked just fine with Vonage and my VPN and Nortel's SIP product (MCS).

I exchanged because the new modem has a power brick vs. power supply inside the modem, so is smaller and looks a lot better (black vs. beige) with my network gear on my desk shelf. None of these are reasons to recommend that you change it, but since it is in the price of my service, it cost me nothing to have the latest and greatest vs. my 5 year old modem.
DannyBoy84
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Navid,

I have RR and I've had to exchange my modem twice. The first modem I had was the Toshiba 1100U. After having techs at my house serveral times, because my connection was always dropping, I found out on another forum that the 1100 has a known drop issuse.

I new have the RCA 315 which is a pretty old model, but after a couple of resets from the RR it's been some what stable

Dan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
blutarsky
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vonager wrote:
...(I'd call first and speak to knowledgeable person to see what they have/specs and do some quick research so that you're armed w/ info ahead of time.)...

not sure where y'all are, but down here in houston, i was unable to get a number for one of the service centers so i could not call ahead. so i had to go drive to the place and wait in line... perhaps the numbers for the centers are available somewhere, but i couldn't find them and the people on the main timewarner number wouldn't give it to me.

Vonager wrote:
...I think they carry a Toshiba PCX 2600 that is a DOCSIS 2. If you can get a Motorola SB that is DOCSIS 2 from TW, I'd sure get one of those...

the cable tech who came out to address an on-going problem i'm having told me to go get a new modem, and specifically told me to ask for the toshiba pcx 2600. after driving to the center and waiting in line, i told them what i was told (to specifically ask for the 2600). they handed me a modem and i went home... only after i got home did i realize that it was a toshiba 2500, not 2600. i drove all the way back and mentioned this -- the lady then told me "yeah, well, they're the same thing, just one is newer" *grr*. would have helped if they just told me that at first and told me to drive to another center to get one since they didn't have them there. i still have the 2500, and plan on getting the recommended 2600 as soon as my line issues are corrected.

in my case getting a new modem did not help, and the issue i'm having is with the node that feeds my area (techs have been out here no less than 6 times in last month, and it's intermittent so when they finally get here it's "working" only to stop working again hours after they leave). but i digress...

to get back to your point -- in my experience, if your modem is "working" i wouldn't swap it out. aside from the potential wasted time and hassles, you might get something less functional or even something that straight up doesn't work. the last modem i handed in for this replacement had a nice interface where i could login and check my signals and status of the connection if i thought something was fishy. now this new one has all that locked out, which is okay, but i didn't gain a damn thing by going through the hassle to get a replacement to fix a problem that still exists. the last time a tech came here a few days ago he told me that basically all of the modems are refurbished (they have an internal shop that looks at all modems being returned/swapped.... whether or not they repair anything on them or just reseal them in plastic is a question that can't really be answered, but the tech who was here indicated that it's generally thought by the staff that nearly all intermittent and hard to trace problems would go away if they simply replaced all modems and didn't keep repackaging and handing out ones that may be broken).

take all of this with a grain of salt, of course -- doesn't help that i'm very frustrated at the level of service i'm (not) getting from them (time warner) currently. i'd like to keep the cable service, because when it works it works great, but i work at home so i can't handle being without a connection. i've ordered dsl as a backup, and plan to keep both for a while (i'll probably put my Vonage on the dsl since it'll have to be more stable that what i've had now).... *sigh* the joy of it all Wink

and the great irony of this all is that in the midst of writing this my connection crapped out yet again and took over 24 hrs to come back... sort of... still getting in excess of 30% packet loss so of course it's almost useless.

biggest drawback to Voip is the quality of your isp. no matter how good the Voip provider may be, if your isp has issues then you might be in for a world of hurt.
Vonager
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

bluetarsky,

We're in Houston with TWC/RR (soon moving to Portland, OR). When I got my modem replaced, I called RR CS and selected Tech Support. Then I was given 2-3 service centers near my zipcode. (AFAIR, one in Katy and one on 290.) The folks at the service center in Katy were awful to deal with. I wanted a Motorola SB (5120?) which I was told by CS they carried; I found out that they reserved those for their TWC/RR Digital Phone customers! I settled for a Toshiba PCX2600 in exchange for my existing PCX2500 that I had received from them originally several yrs. ago.

I agree that the PCX2600 (and other brands they swap) was refurbished, wrapped in plastic. The PCX2500 I received upon original signup was brand new, in a box.

You seem to know that your problem is with your ISP connection not the modem. I'd get on RR's case with both CS and Billing until they get it fixed (gone through that once with RR and tech came out and found problem with their cabling/splitter downstream.) This was before the modem swap.

In my experience, it was worth it and a no-brainer. My TWC/RR monthly charges include my modem. (if I buy my own modem, they won't credit me for "renting" their modem but I won't dwell on that!) If I can get a higher spec. modem for free, why not? It only cost me a trip to the service center. If you get a bad, refurbished one, swap it again.

I also believe in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." It's great to have choices! I opted to upgrade what wasn't broke (my position was that I could experiment).
blutarsky
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

since i mentioned it earlier, i figured i'd post the update -- i ordered dsl service on monday evening, received the modem yesterday morning, and had the dsl service kick on this afternoon -- from order time to activation and being usable was less than 72 hrs. amazing.

and about the cable, they finally got their maint crew out here yesterday (after begging for about a month) and found the problem... they fixed it (apparently) this morning.

so i went from zero good connections to two... after all this mess, i think i'll just keep both for a while Wink
Vonager
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations, blutarsky! Let the "Vonagation" begin!!!
Navid200
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I went in and got a PCX2600.

Thanks for your replies.