How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
boriskey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:30 am    Post subject: again about QoS (phone + torrent + mule + ftp upload) etc... Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

I am a new Vonage customer. I am having a real issue with my phone, since I use bittorrent and ftp uploads intensively. I got standard Lynksys RTP300.

As I understand reading a hundred of posts on these topic I should do whatever options to get good quality of service w/o shutting off my torrent and ftp activity:

1) buy third party QoS hardware (does not work for me, it is expensive )
2) buy wireless router compatible with third-party firmware supporting QoS
3) forget about torrent or Vonage

Am I right?
versatek
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you are correct.

Piracy makes baby jesus cry. Find a new hobby, or stick to a land line.

Laugh.. it's a joke. Lol
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, you can also use a client like Azureus (you can find it on SourceForge). That client allows you to clamp the number of connections, and also throttle your upload and, if necessary, download bandwidth.

Max your connections to ~20-30, clamp your upload bandwidth at (your tested bandwidth minus 90K or whatever you have Vonage set at), clamp your download bandwidth at (your tested bandwidth minus Vonage allowance), and Voila'!, you have just implemented "poor man's QoS".

If your router is similar to the WRTP54G, I would also consider not forwarding ports or using DMZ. Look around for my recent recommendations on using the WRTP54G in another thread - I expect a few tidbits will help you out too.

Yes, some Torrent trackers will not like you if you don't forward ports, and some peers will reject you. But you'll be able to remain connected to those peers that DO accept firewalled connections.

Plus, even if you use P2P for legal files only, you have to be used to rejection by your real-life peers who assume the only use for P2P has to be illegal, and therefore you are making baby Jesus cry (said in the same joking tone as the previous post). (grin)

EDIT: Corrected spelling of "Azureus". I can never get that name right. Hard to think when Baby Jesus is wailing in your ear. LOL.
boriskey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

thank you, guys. I think "pour man solution" works for me Smile

And I am thinking about buying wireless router with QoS. As I see on the forum everybody loves WRT54GP2, probably I should buy one.

But speaking honestly, I do not understand why Vonage customers should care about that. It should have been done in the router they sell with the service.

and seems you guys do not use torrent at all Wink) do not tell me that Smile))
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

boriskey wrote:

and seems you guys do not use torrent at all Wink) do not tell me that Smile))

Actually, I use BitTorrent a lot. If I didn't, I'd probaly give the WRTP54G pretty high marks. But under load, the router can't hold up.
GotNoRice
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: again about QoS (phone + torrent + mule + ftp upload) et Reply with quote Back to top

boriskey wrote:
Hi,

I am a new Vonage customer. I am having a real issue with my phone, since I use bittorrent and ftp uploads intensively. I got standard Lynksys RTP300.

As I understand reading a hundred of posts on these topic I should do whatever options to get good quality of service w/o shutting off my torrent and ftp activity:

Am I right?

The RTP300 supports QoS out of the box, and does a pretty good job of it. If anything, my experience with QoS on the RTP300 has shown it to be overly aggressive. I was using hotel internet and I brought my phone so that I wouldn’t have to pay the hotel phone charges. I ran a bandwidth test and the upload was only about 100k, which was cutting it close. When I made calls, the calls would go through fine, but most of the traffic to my laptop would be dropped.

Bittorrent tends to reveal flaws in substandard hardware due to the high number of packets per second that it uses. EVERY piece of equipment between you and the internet (and sometimes beyond) is going to have to be up to par. This could be your router, your cable/dsl modem, a switch put in between, or pretty much anything else. I have literally been to places with cheap network hardware where running torrents would flat out shut down the net. The only way to get it back was to reset the offending piece of hardware.

I only use my RTP300 as a router when I’m in a hotel or otherwise away from my house. At my house, I use it just as a phone adapter. As a router, I use m0n0wall. It is FreeBSD based router software that you can install onto almost any old computer with two network cards. I use mine with an old P3 533 and 2 Intel Pro/100 network adapters and the thing is bulletproof. It doesn’t do QoS, but it does do Traffic shaping which does the job quite nicely. I did not do in-depth testing using my Vonage line, but before I built the monowall router my pings in CS:S would shoot up from 20 to 400+ when I ran torrents; after I built it, my pings would go from 20 to ~60. If you can determine that everything other than your router is fine, then it might be worth building a monowall router. It’s certainly cheap enough (free).

I’m not sure some people really quite understand what bittorrent is or what it does. In a normal file downloading scenario, you have a server and a client. The server sends the file to the client, and that is the extent of the transaction. With bittorrent, you still have servers (seeds) and clients, but the difference is that all the clients also swap data with each other. It is like a chain mail letter; you know, one of those things where it’s like “send this to 100 people or you will never have a girlfriend”. The key is that everyone who receives it turns around and sends it to more people. The same thing is true with bittorrent, except that you are downloading files you requested and sending it out to other people who request it from you. It ends up being a lot faster than if everyone who wanted it just got it from the original person, but the people who in the past would have just received a letter/data packet, now have the burden of taking that and sending it back out countless times (which is why it is so hard on network equipment).

Bittorrent is here to stay. It is a legit technology that is used for legit purposes. Even Blizzard uses bittorrent for its World of Warcraft patch downloads now.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: again about QoS (phone + torrent + mule + ftp upload) et Reply with quote Back to top

GotNoRice wrote:
At my house, I use it just as a phone adapter. As a router, I use m0n0wall. It is FreeBSD based router software that you can install onto almost any old computer with two network cards. I use mine with an old P3 533 and 2 Intel Pro/100 network adapters and the thing is bulletproof. It doesn’t do QoS, but it does do Traffic shaping which does the job quite nicely.

I may have to play with that. I was thinking about trying SmoothWall, but alternatives are welcome. Thanks.

I find that if I really want to use BitTorrent, I pretty much have to bypass my router and hook directly to my modem, which means only one computer and no Vonage. Though, to be fair, tonight the router has held up under heavy traffic for a couple of hours so far.
racer0509
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: again about QoS (phone + torrent + mule + ftp upload) et Reply with quote Back to top

boriskey wrote:
Hi,

Am I right?

Boriskey, I used to be having the same problem as you with using the phone and uploading files(legal) at the same time. I found this device by dlink called the DI-102 Voip Accelerator and it handles the QOS very effectively. What most people do not realize is that the RTP300 QOS is LAN QOS only and does not handle the packets on the WAN side, which is where the Voip packets are directed to. For most people that does not pose an issue, but for the people running a server or uploading WAN QOS is needed, which is what this device does. I picked the device up for 65 dollars at CompUSA to make sure it worked, and it worked amazing. Link: http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=2&pid=426

If you do decide to go this way, let us know how it works for you as well. Wish you the best success in finding a solution that works.