Hard Wiring - Installation
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your

In The Forum:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and

In The Forum:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

James44 Posted:
Which network
connection do you

In The Forum:
Wireless Access Point plugged into switch
On Jul 13, 2016 at 22:55:00

jjatsk Posted:
We are renting a
few offices right
next door to our
main building. I
have a wireless

In The Forum:
Wireless Access Point plugged into switch
On Jul 09, 2016 at 12:00:54

Pman Posted:
Hello, While
Vonage has been a
great service over
the years, it is
time to part

In The Forum:
LNP – Local Number Portability
Cannot port phone number to new carrier - repeated failures
On Jul 05, 2016 at 09:12:07

jbugz67 Posted:
We recently
purchased 5
Polycom VVX 300
phones from
Vonage, and have

In The Forum:
Nothing but problems with VVX300
On Apr 15, 2016 at 14:58:07

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Please help. Very frustrated. ADT not dialing out Reply with quote Back to top

Hi folks,

I am almost at my wits end here and I hope collective knowledge on this forum can assist me.

My environment:Location: Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada

1. RTP300
2. Bandwidth Set = 90
3. Packetization Level = 10
3. Consistent Download speed = 5Mbps
4. Consistent Upload speed = 800kbps
5. QOS quality: 85%-98% depending on time of day
5. All jacks are homerun

Alarm System:
1. ADT Safewatch Pro
2. No installer code
3. RJ31x jack - Telco line in = RTP300 Line 1
4. RJ31x jack - Line out = 110 block for all tel outlets

Current Vonage Customer Status: Waiting for line to be ported. Have been assigned temp virtual number.

Vonage Setup:
1. Modem->RTP300->BEFSR81->Computers

What's working:
1. All computers & all jacks work normally
2. Voice quality is excellent

What's not working
1. When running the "dial" test from the alarm panel the line gets siezed like it should and numerous attempts are made to dial out. After about 8 attempts or so it gives up and releases the line.
So no seizure or release problems -> RJ31x jack wired properly

2. Checking my activity on I see no reference to the attempted calls made during the test? Why is this so? Does Vonage only keeps track of successfully completed calls?

I have called ADT and ofcourse their standard spill to buy the cellguard sysem.

My contract expires March 06.

1.They have refused to help flat out
2. They will not send out a tech without cost to me
3. They are willing to lose me as a customer if I do not renew. They do not have a problem wth me terminating my contract early( ofcourse I have to pay the balance), but they will not help me out. Amazing I pay $32Canadian a month of this service.

1. Is it possible that because I still have the virtual number that I am having dialout problems? I seem to recall seeing one post where someone was having similar problems but once the port went over and his tel co released the number to Vonage, his alarm system started to work? Is this a possibility? Even remotely?

2. Why would the attempted calls not show up on my dashboard?

I have spent tremendous time on this forum, howardforums, and various other TIVO forums for a solution. Tried all the tricks mentioned - eg switching tip & ring inside the panel & on RJ31x with all posible combinations. NOTHING WORKS. NOTHING.

Please help if you can. My email address

Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not a personal knock, but I still don't know why anyone would use ADT. Overpriced, nasty contracts, poor service. Of course, if it weren't for their contracts being virtually impossible to get out of (without major expense) they probably wouldn't be in business. There's a good discussion about other monitoring companies in the Vonage Fax, Tivo and Alarms forum. NextAlarm seems to be the popular choice, about to sign with them myself.

[hops off soapbox]

The test calls *should* show up on Vonage's dashboard. Granted, it's only going to show calls which get answered, but still.

Are you using any dial prefixes?
any idea what number your panel's attempting to call?
Does it try to dial using touch-tone or pulse signalling?
Which version of firmware are you running on the RTP300?
Does this panel sound an alarm if the line gets cut/disconnected while it's armed? If so, it could be looking at the impedance or voltage of the phone line (most likely voltage, easier to measure & less variable). The interesting part about your problem is that you're not seeing the activity.

Dumb suggestion... What happens if you try to reverse-feed the RJ31 jack? Ex: reversing the phones/house wiring with the telco in terminals? If it's not wired correctly, it will disconnect "sieze" the phoneline, but since it's siezed the wrong wire, the house phones will get disconnected, but the alarm system's not going to see the Vonage line. This would be a plausible explanation for the lack of activity in the Vonage dashboard, while still showing line-seizure activity on the phones. (could you humor me and give it a try?)

It's been awhile since I had my temporary port #, but when I had it, I believe (trying to remember) the outbound caller ID was my port #, but this was a cell phone port, and a USA port.

ISP: Varies depending where I'm at.
Vonage: Linksys RTP300
Router: IPCop 1.4.10
Phones: various
Total calls since Jul 24, 2005: 4,794 calls
Total Minutes since Jul 24, 2005: 25,552 minutes
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your reply and here are the answers to your questions

Why would anyone use ADT? Well let's say lesson learned. I do not have a problem paying for services I receive, but in time of need when they get so defensive and refuse to help, I get to see their true colors. I have learned my lesson now.. that's life.

1. The system is not using any dial prefixes
2. The panel is calling a local number. ADT would not tell me but after much persuassion they did say it was calling the same are code as my home is (905).

Now, keep in mind I live in Richmond hill (905) and there is a suburb called Brampton which also has an area code of (905). It IS long distance for me (Richmond Hill) to call friends in Brampton. I have to put a 1 before the area code & number eg "1.905.777.7777"

Since they did not give me the full number I cannot check if Vonage is dialing properly. However it is also important to note that if I connect my Bell line to the alarm system - no problem it dials out fine.

Now the problem I see probably has to do with this one fact. Vonage assigned me the temp virtual # that is long distance to ME. They gave me (905) # but if I call that number from my neighbors it IS long distance. I must dial 1 before the area code & number. Could this perhaps be the reason the panel cannot dial out? It's trying to dial a local number but in fact it should be dialed as long distance.

I think there is a high probability of that. If that is the case when the port goes thru this problem SHOULD go away. Is my thinking correct?

3. The panel is dialing out Touchtone

4. RTP300 1.0.50

5. Dumb questions? There is no such thing! Yes I tried - does not work
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

can adt assign you a 800# dial in #?
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you ever make any progress with this problem? I am having a similar issue with my Brinks system (also overpriced and apparently completely incompatible with NextAlarm!).

My current theory is that the alarm calls are failing because they are trying to dial the number quicker than the phone adapter will allow. I know I can personally punch in a number faster than my WRTP54G will accept it, leading to a long pause followed by an error sound.

I actually think some of the tricks people are using to get their TiVos to dial out successfully have to do with properly "waking up" the adapter before dialing out the target number. I'm not sure how one would do this with an alarm dial out, or perhaps change some settings so Vonage accepts dialing speeds that most of us and our equipment are accustomed to.