How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
baudet
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Setting up Multiple voip Routers on 1 Network Reply with quote Back to top

We are in the process of switching our 5 phone lines over to Vonage (waiting for the other 4 to transfer). Each phone line came with its own Linksys RTP300 router, plus we have our Belkin wireless router which we already owned.

I have been successful in getting the Voip routers connected to each other such that the Voip and Internet are up and running just fine. However, I am not experienced enough to configure the static routing on each device so that everyone in the office can share files and printers. Please advise. Thank you.
baudet
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: A bit more information Reply with quote Back to top

Here is a little more information about our setup:

Cable Modem feeds 1 of our new Voip routers(192.168.15.1).
The other 4 Voip routers' WAN ports are then plugged into the 1st Voip router's LAN ports using a Crossover adapter.

These 4 routers are all configured with different subnets and static IP's that fall in the range of the 1st router's DHCP:
Router 2: 192.168.2.1, 192.168.15.242
Router 3: 192.168.3.1, 192.168.15.243
Router 4: 192.168.4.1, 192.168.15.244
Router 5: 192.168.5.1, 192.168.15.245

These 4 routers also all contain a Static Routing to go through the 1st router in order to get to the Internet....and they have the "Block Anonymous Internet Requests" setting DISABLED.

It is my understanding that there is some more Static Routing that needs to be set in all the routers in order for the PC's connected to be able to share files & printers. However, this is my 1st time to do any Static Routing, so I am at a loss for getting to the next step.
mjmellin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The one thing I can tell you is you need to configure the 1st router about the routes to all the other subnets otherwise each subnet will not see the other. The other option is to use the route add command on each PC to program the routes to the other subnets

for example:

for a pc on the 192.168.2.1 subnet to get to the 192.168.3.1 subnet the following command is needed

route add 192.168.3.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.15.1

Vonage Customer Since Nov 2004
Voip Expert on H.323 standards
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
baudet
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the advice. I would really like to be able to do this on the routers so that it would not matter in the future when new computers are added to the network.

Below are the fields that the Linksys RTP300 asks for when configuring Static Routing. If someone could just give me an example of what I need to do to get this working, I think I could run with it. Thanks.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destination LAN IP: . . .

Subnet Mask: . . .

Gateway: . . .

Hop Count:

Interface: 'Internet' or 'Local'

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mjmellin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Destination LAN IP: . . . Networ address of each router (192.168.2.0)

Subnet Mask: . . . Correct Subnet Mask for that network

Gateway: . . . The router address that it connects to

Hop Count: 1

Interface: 'Internet' or 'Local' (Internet on lower 4 and local on the top router)

Vonage Customer Since Nov 2004
Voip Expert on H.323 standards
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aboat2
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have a questions as to what your end result wants to look like.

Normally, you set up a subnet to isolate parts of your network from each other. A long time ago, before switches became so popular and hubs existed, it made sense to try to minimize ethernet collisions. Anyway, reading between the lines, it seems like you really want 1 "big" network and some phones plugged in. So, why not configure it to all one subnet and disable the NAT translation. You could have the first router after your incoming internet connection do the NAT for everybody, and also act as the DHCP server. Basically, you end up configuring the phone adapter into a switch instead of a router. Some advantages is that things such as old NetBios shares become easily viewable even without going to the NetBios over TCP/IP method. (but perhaps all your OS's are new enough to not care). I have not tried this myself and not sure if the adapter/routers you got shipped will actually work this, but some older equipment used be able to cable the WAN out of the phone adapter/router back into itself on one of its LAN ports. You'd then connect LAN port of that to the LAN port of the top level router... thus really using the "switch" portion of the router to switch the traffic between the 3 or 4 LAN ports (1 of which is receiving the phone traffic only from its own WAN port). From the basic setup screen, you want likely want to hard assign each phone adapter an IP address in the same subnet as the top level router ... perhaps 192.168.15.2, 192.168.15.3, 192.168.15.4, etc. assuming your top router is 192.168.15.1 in a subnet of 255.255.255.0. Turn off DHCP in all the subsequent 2nd level phone adapter/routers, and under advanced settings, turn off the NAT translation. You only want the NAT for the 1 top level router going out of your enterprise to the internet, and it should also be the one assigning out DHCP addresses ... and it could be in a range above the low static addresses you are using for the phone adapters ... maybe hosts 129 to 191 or something like that gives you plenty of addresses for small networks.

If on the other hand, you really want to provide some isolation from each other via using so many different subnets, you could split the top level router and define subnet such as 255.255.255.240. Thus the low by is hex 'F0' or 16 addresses (minus reserved overhead) allowing 14 host addresses spun off from each subsequent low level router adapter. So, a child router might have an address of 192.168.15.1, 192.168.15.17, 192.168.15.33, etc. and they could in turn split their logical 4 bits (16 addresses) into a static address and DHCP address range. (or like you had started to do using other bit combination of the subnet mask) However, with subnets and these routers doing NAT and address transaltion, you also may have to open up ports in each router's firewall to allow the netbios indentification, ping, and other traffic in through the 2nd level routers firewall wan to its own sub lan. Are you going to allow Telnet, FTP, etc into boxes on each subnet? Or are you designing the subnets/built in firewall to keep people from doing that? Do you want to isolate some parts such that only certain computers are able to share globally ... i.e. perhaps by putting your servers up as a peers on the top level router, and thus individual workstations can 'net use' to the top (and also the servers can't easily net use back down to the workstations), and the workstations can't share or net use to workstations attached to other 2nd level phone adapter routers. (they could still easily share and net use within their own little subnet, but blocked from going "up and back down" if that mental picture makes any sense.)

Maybe I've confused the issue more than helping.
baudet
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate you taking the time to help.

I tried using all the phone adapters/routers as simple switches and connecting all devices LAN-to-LAN....but it seems as though the routers cannot function as phone adapters unless the connection comes through the WAN port. So therefore, I must have all of the devices functioning as routers.

My primary objectives are as follows for each of the 4 'secondary' routers:
- Phone adapters function properly
- Internet access for devices connected to these routers
- Workgroup functionality (file/printer sharing, etc.)

The only one that currently is not functioning yet is the Workgroup Funtionality. From what I have read, it is my understanding that I need to properly configure Static Routing on each of the routers to gain this functionality.

If anyone knows what the settings should be for the fields in my previous post, please advise. Thanks to all.
aboat2
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

When you tired to use it like a switch, did you cable the WAN port back into itself on a LAN port? ... thus the phone traffic going out the WAN loops back into the LAN port and "out" another LAN port ("switch") to the top level.... (and disabled NAT, etc...). Your reply implies you didn't try cabling the WAN to LAN then LAN to LAN....
baudet
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

No, I hadn't thought of that. I assume that I would use a straight cable from router - 'switch' (LAN-LAN), and a crossover adapter for the WAN-LAN "inbreeding" connection. I will play with that this morning and see what comes of it.

By the way, do you think the term "inbreeding" connection will catch on with the mainstream folks?
aboat2
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Much of the equipment I have seen lately seems to autodetect and swap the signal wires automatically. I haven't had to use a cross over cable for a long time .... except for maybe laptop to laptop. I'd use a regular cable WAN to LAN (at least I do here between my various routers.... they seem to autodetect for me...). Don't forget to set the routers on the same subnet (and an appropriate reserved static IP address) and turn off DHCP and NAT on the "imbred" one(s).

To test basic connectivity, I'd try attach a workstation to the "imbred" router and see if it got a DHCP address from the top level router.... i.e. you'd know traffic went from workstation to the "swtich" up to the top level router. And ping should work too. Then I'd see about the dial tone on the phone function... Actually, as you hook up the phone adapter (contverted to switch) you should get a phone light on the adapter as it makes it own connections out thru the seeming somewhat circular wiring....