How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
libbyloo
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Okay people, don't get all sensitive about my opinion on the WRT. You are all missing the point I am making. For the last time, I am NOT SAYING the WRT is a bad router. I did not recommend another BETTER router, right? There is just too much work (I admit it is because of lack of networking knowledge) involved in trouble shooting using modem, WRT and Vonage phone router.

I know it first hand. Tried place WRT before the Vonage router, behind it, new firmware, firewall, anti-virus software interference, click on the control panel, check third party firmware, reboot, reboot again and again. Then think about it, if you phone all of sudden stopped working or quality dropped, where do you think the problem could be? Is it something wrong with the WRT, your modem or your Vonage router. Chances are you won't know until you try all the combinations out. Fun for you maybe, not for me.

So again it is great that you enjoy doing all these work. And maybe it looks cool to you to have all the extra hardware and wires stacked up under your desk. With wireless cable modem, it eliminates all the extra work. Though it might just not provide enough of a charlenge for some of you.

WRT maybe a great router, but I like simple solutions. SBG900 is the anwser. At least we have one thing in common, we are all Vonage fans.
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

libbyloo wrote:
Okay people, don't get all sensitive about my opinion on the WRT.

If you don't want people to "get all sensitive about your opinion", then maybe you should consider not spouting off with something like you started your post with, like "Dump the darn thing." Particularly when the "darn thing" you were denigrating was something the original poster wasn't even trying to use any more. The question was how to make what he/she had work correctly, since they had ALREADY bought more hardware. The question was NOT how to throw it all out and throw more money at more new stuff.

TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
DannyBoy84
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have the WRT54G with RPT adaptor and all worked fine right out of the box.

I've had the WRT for a few months now, when I got the Vonage adaptor , I just plugged it into port 2 on the WRT and had a dial tone.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
MassD
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Add me to the list of people with the WRT54G and RTP that haven't had any issues.

The WRT54G is my primary router... I have the Vonage adapter plugged into one of the ports. The router has the latest firmware from Linksys, and configured apropriately. Never had any connectivity issues whatsoever.

In terms of "out of the box" operation... I just plugged the RTP into the wireless router, turned it on and I got a dial tone after a minute or two. The configuration on the WRT router was done after the fact to fine tune things.... not to address any problems.

Fact is that I couldn't be more pleased with the WRT54G.... I have my computer (G) and two TiVo's (B) connections via wireless, with the Vonage router thrown in there as well. Any issues I've had in the past were resolved by simply updating the firmware on the WRT... and I am not even using any of the third party firmware builds that are quite popular around these parts.

Granted, I've worked in the computer industry for quite some time and have extensive expirience working with networking junk and all, so debugging problems and getting up to my elbows in the router's advanced features is second nature to me. If I asked my wife to fix something, well... she would look at me like I asked he to construct a linear accelerator...
fostertaz
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: WRTP54G Adelphia/Vonage Problem Reply with quote Back to top

Here is the deal. Linksys created the WRTP54G for Vonage. Vonage is completely responsible for the firmware updates. There is a FIRMWARE ISSUE with the Linksys router and with ADELPHIA's modem, not allowing the DNS to work properly. The firmware that comes default with the WRTP54G is 1.00.20. This version WILL NOT WORK WITH adelphia. I spent over 2 hours on the phone with Linksys walking through every scenerio until they finally admitted that there was a problem with the firmware. They however, CANNOT support the firmware update because the device is actually made for Vonage. After spending a half hour on the phone with Vonage support, they finally gave me the link to the firmware that is needed to work with Adelphia's modems. This firmware version is 1.00.37. The gave me this link for the download: http://tinyurl.com/89qb which converts to the following address: http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2607. It is very easy to update the firmware. There are step by step instructions. After it was done, I had to reboot both modem and router and then wait about 15 minutes for adelphia to receive all the new info. After that, everything started working. Hope this helps. Remember, the problem is on Vonage, not linksys or adelphia.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

libbyloo wrote:
Okay people, don't get all sensitive about my opinion on the WRT. You are all missing the point I am making. For the last time, I am NOT SAYING the WRT is a bad router. I did not recommend another BETTER router, right? There is just too much work (I admit it is because of lack of networking knowledge) involved in trouble shooting using modem, WRT and Vonage phone router.

I've heard good things and bad things about the native Linksys WRT54G. Most of the good things are when you stop using their native firmware, and/or do some of the "deep tweaks" that you can do on the unit.

I can attest to my personal opinion on the WRTP54G, Vonage's cusom modified version of the WRT54G, and that is that the WRTP54G is really not a good router. That's putting it in the kindest terms I can manage. It was a GREAT router up until Vonage's upgrades to 1.00.52, and things got a LITTLE better in 1.00.55, but I'm still rebooting the router daily if I use BitTorrent, even with only 20 connections at a time.

From what I've heard of the WRT54G, the biggest plus of the router (at least the pre-V5 versions) is that you can load third-party firmware such as Alchemy, and the router performs (supposedly) FAR better than the original Linksys firmware. Of course, your warranty is toast if you do that. Wink

The WRTP54G uses Vonage firmware so I don't think anyone would write a third party firmware to emulate it. And they've got all the "deep tweak" sections of the router locked down hard, so you can't even do that. At least I've never seen any way to do it, and I don't know if it would mess up the Vonage side if I did.

The WRT54G or WRT54GS (more memory for external firmware) would probably be the router I'll pick to sit in front of the poor, tender little WRTP54G, if I go that route. Just be careful when picking up a WRT54G or GS that you don't get the newer V5 version, because they supposedly got rid of the Linux OS in them and went with less memory and different hardware to save money, and they are not customizable at all. Of course, the box is not labeled at all, so you'll just have to buy locally or from somewhere with a good exchange policy if you do it.
jocjo
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have to agree with the previous posts about the WRTP54G. I can't even call it a good router at this point. It functions as a wireless router (poorly) and as a phone adapter (poorly). I've had the piece of junk up and running for 4 days hoping to get the mysterious automatic firmware upgrade which has yet to happen. My 3 year old Netgear wireless router had much better range and speed...
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jocjo wrote:
I have to agree with the previous posts about the WRTP54G. I can't even call it a good router at this point. It functions as a wireless router (poorly) and as a phone adapter (poorly). I've had the piece of junk up and running for 4 days hoping to get the mysterious automatic firmware upgrade which has yet to happen. My 3 year old Netgear wireless router had much better range and speed...

Someone posted this in another thread, apologies if you've seen it already:

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2607.

Supposedly, this will allow you to get your Vonage WRTP54G to 1.00.37. 1.00.55 is the latest, but maybe .37 will get you connected enough to get the .55 release?

I have not tried this, I cannot attest to it, but I can say that the Vonage side of my WRTP54G is quite excellent. If I could take a chainsaw to the unit and separate the ROUTER bit and load a decent firmware to it wilst leaving the Vonage bit alone, I'd be a happy camper.

Note when I say "quite excellent", I mean the call quality is good, rarely get dropped calls, caller ID usually works. I haven't tried call waiting in a while, and it used to not work, but several people have reported that recent firmware changes have improved it.

So, my advice to potential new Vonagers: Do not use a Vonage supplied router if you can avoid it. Get a good router to put in front of a very simple Vonage adapter. Linksys and Netgear both make well-respected routers. That way, if and when Vonage loads new firmware, they can only hurt your Vonage service, not the rest of your network...
jocjo
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the response NateHoy.
I did try to upgrade the router myself using the Linksys updater but for some reason it just keeps asking me for my Username and Password. It never actually starts the firmware upgrade. One of the posters in another thread actually provided the 1.00.55 .img firmware file but the linksys firmware upgrader is only for version .37. In any case I am still not able upgrade it my self. Will give it another shot shortly, but I have a feeling I'll be taking this back and just getting a new wireless router and use my old Vonage adapter.
Thanks.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

jocjo wrote:
Thanks for the response NateHoy.
I did try to upgrade the router myself using the Linksys updater but for some reason it just keeps asking me for my Username and Password. It never actually starts the firmware upgrade. One of the posters in another thread actually provided the 1.00.55 .img firmware file but the linksys firmware upgrader is only for version .37. In any case I am still not able upgrade it my self. Will give it another shot shortly, but I have a feeling I'll be taking this back and just getting a new wireless router and use my old Vonage adapter.
Thanks.

Possible combinations:

1. Username blank, password "admin" all lower case (I think that's what the page indicates).

2. If you've customised your username and password for the WRTP54G (HIGHLY recommended for security), use that.

3. "admin"/"admin" both all lowercase.

4. The "hashed" password set by Vonage (ie. you're screwed).

I have NOT tested any of the above because I am on 1.00.55 and am having quite enough problems already, thank you. Smile

I don't honestly know what user/pw the router is asking for. I *suspect* it's the SSH (Secure SHell) user ID and Password, and that the application they provide is a simple SSH client with a script that pushes the new firmware. If that's the case, then sorry, Vonage puts (from my understanding) their hashed password on the SSH side, so you can't get in.

Hmmmm... Maybe I should get me an SSH client and play...

EDIT: OK, confirmed. Using PuTTY, I was unable to access the router using "admin"/"admin", my custom username and password on the Web config side, or ""/"admin", regardless of whether I had SSH turned on in the router config screens (which should only affect config over the Internet anyway).

Looks like Vonage has the SSH access, which is where the REAL tweaking can be done, locked down.

But they DO leave the SSH service running...