In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to be noised abroad wifi password?
On Mar 30, 2016 at 18:48:05

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
rvrmnt
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Faxing problems fixed! Reply with quote Back to top

I have an HP7130 and could send faxes but was having problems receiving (the fax machine would not answer). I followed the link above to change my baud rate to v.17 9600. At first it didn't help, then I found this link on HP forums:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=760997

The above link explains how to change the r\w parameters for the auto answer feature on the fax machine. Now, everything is working perfectly!

BTW, I also disabled voicemail and call forwarding on my Vonage phone. I installed two DSL filters, one for the input to the Vonage Phone Adapter which goes to the Wall Jack port on the HP and another on the back of the HP phone port.

I am going to re-enable the Vonage Voicemail to see if the receiving problem recurs. Will let you all know.
rvrmnt
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Faxing problems fixed! - sorta Reply with quote Back to top

I have spent the last two hours tweaking and the bottom line is I cannot use Vonage voicemail with my HP 7130 All-in-one. I am using one Vonage line for both voice calls and faxes. I don't send or receive enough faxes to justify a separate fax line. Regardless of what tech support says, it WILL work. You may have to do some research for your particular fax device to find the right settings.

Follow all instructions in the previous posts; i.e., set baud rate to 9600, disable Vonage voice mail and call forwarding, use a DSL filter, make sure fax machine is set to auto answer.

Depending on your fax machine, there may be other necessary tweaks. I had to set up my HP 7130 as if I have an answering device connected (even though I disabled Vonage Voicemail), because my HP would not auto answer unless it "thought" it was connected to an answering device.

I have also used another alternative (since I have both a "land" line and a Vonage line). Before I found the above solutions, I was SENDING faxes on my Vontage line and RECEIVING them on my land line.

Meanwhile I love my Vonage service. It provides a cheap alternative for long distance calls. I could not get a Vonage phone number in my area code , so I use my Sprint "land line" mainly to receive local calls , so my next door neighbors don't have to make a long distance call to phone me! Since I also have a cell phone to receive calls during power outages, I will soon have no need for a "land line" at all.

When Vonage expands their coverage to my area code, I will ditch Sprint along with all their access fees!
atokyotiger
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject: Overseas mode solved my problems Reply with quote Back to top

I think the reality is that the quality of fax transmission over Vonage IP lines is poorer than that of the legacy telcos. I spent hours with Vonage and Brother techies trying to figure out why I couldn't send or receive faxes to/from certain numbers to no avail. I broke down and bought a new multifunction printer from Brother (MFC-5440-CN) and discovered that this machine has overseas correction mode (my last Brother fax did not have this). Turning this on solved my problem, at least for sending.
Nifty006
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: For the Brother Intellifax 1270.... Reply with quote Back to top

Change settings to INTERNATIONAL FAX. This should lower the baud rate, and for me at least, outgoing faxes are now able to complete.
ExTelcoGee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Fax Problems solved using *99 Reply with quote Back to top

G.711 or clear channel communication is allowed on PAP2 by utilizing *99 then area code plus number. This tells the PAP2 not to use compression headers within the IP packets. Faxes should work when this is enabled. Regular voice calls will use compression by default on both lines of PAP2 and you must disable to use fax. No need to change baud rate. 64Kbps is g.711. I think this is what is happening but I'm not the expert in tech support, just and ex Telco/Data worker:}
NJITgrad
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

For those of you using HP faxes and are still having problems, call Customer Care late at night or early morning EST and have the tech raise the packets to 30.

If you are using a RT31P2 or PAP2, have then raise jitter level to very high. And always make certian your bandwidth saver is on high.
avstan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I have an HP 5510 with fax problems also. Never had a problem until I transferred to Vonage. I also have done the recommended changes to no avail. I think most HP printers have an autobuad feature that continues to lowere the baud rate until good data is being transferred. I think Vonage has a bandwidth problem. Has anyone tried to widen the bandwidth? I am not too happy with Vonage and am considering dropping the service.

avstan
mercuryd
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Have you tried *99? Reply with quote Back to top

I saw someone post this in this thread earlier but not sure if anyone paid any attention to it. I was having the same problem with my HP Photosmart all-in-one trying to send faxes dropped after 1 or 2 pages but when I started adding *99 to the beginning of the number I was trying to fax to, it worked like a charm. I just sent two 10 page faxes that way.
andrwoo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had bought a Brother 575 fax. Did not work except if I was faxing and receiving from someone else who also had Vonage. Would not work with anyone else. I took it back and am looking for a fax to work. I have the dedicated fax line through Vonage.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 4652144 bps
Upload speed: 444632 bps
Quality of service: 99 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 19 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 58 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms

Voip test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 4.8 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.8 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Number of supported Voip lines: 7
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Linksys Wireless-B 2.4GHz 802.11B Router
Linksys Phone Adapter PAP2 w/2ports
Voip: Vonage
raijenkins
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hi guys
well first thing you need to do if you have a fax line for Vonage is that you need to set some settings on your fax machine in order for your fax to go through
first is lower your baud rate to 9600
second is lower the resolution rate of the fax machine
third check the overseas mode of the fax machine, turn it off
fourth is check the ecm and turn it off