Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
tplink Posted:
Im trying to add
my HT802 vonage
adapter to my home
network. I
currently have
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Vonage behind switch
On Dec 05, 2016 at 06:35:11

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
TheWalt
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Nov 23, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just to follow up...

I picked up the PAP2 anyway because as stated above I wanted the Vonage equipment totally split from my network router, giving me the most flexability.

Let me tell you... this is how I expected the service to work the first time around. Took the unit out of box, set my WRT54G (also HyperWRT tofu10) port forwarding according to the directions, turned QoS on, used my local telephone to set a static IP on the PAP2, plugged it all in. Gave Vonage a phone call on my cell and the nice person there took the WRTP54G off my account, put the PAP2 on it and literally within 15 minutes from opening the package I was up and running.

In fact, and I really belive this to be due to the QoS of the HyperWRT firmware, when I called my girlfriend to test it out she thought I was on my cell phone... and the whole conversation I was playing World of Warcraft with no problems.


I agree that the WRTP54G seems like a great unit for the average home user. And I expect that after a few more firmware updates some of the little glitches will be worked out. But for me, my new setup is working great and if it stays as such through the rest of the week I can finally turn off my lan line for good Smile
View user's profile Send private message
Katsumi
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate


Joined: Nov 11, 2005
Posts: 10
Location: Tennessee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
Katsumi wrote:
When I got the Vonage service I got the linksys wireless router. Is this router really that bad? I haven't had any problems so far. What does have me worried are future possiblilities of problems with the router. Hopefully I won't experience any.


There are several models of the Linksys wireless router. Mine is the WRTP54G. When I first got it, I fell in love. The router was top notch, and handled everything I do, including BitTorrent use (I'm into open source, and use BT for most of my software downloads to save the authors money).

Then came firmware version 1.00.52 and it's slightly-less-dumb younger sibling, 1.00.55. I have no idea what Vonage/Linksys changed, but whatever it was, it was ugly. I had to reboot the router multiple times a day in 1.00.52, and at least once every other day in 1.00.55.

So I got a WRT54G for $50 just so I can use my Internet connection again. In my case, the WRTP54G was killing me, and I'd gladly trade it in for a simple Vonage adapter if that was a choice. Though, it is handy having a spare router around. Wink

Having said all that, if you do not do BitTorrent or use your connection very heavily, the WRTP54G (and probably all of its cousins) are PERFECTLY FINE routers. They may need a restart every now and again, but it's rare in a non-BitTorrent environment with "normal" surfing, downloading, email, and Vonage use.

Now, of course, the DISadvantage of the Vonage routers is that they control the firmware on your router, and can upgrade it at any time. Separating the router and Vonage functions into separate boxes with separate firmware makes a good bit of sense from a maintenance standpoint. But, in your case, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.


Thanks NateHoy for the information. I don't download hardly at all. Mainly use my internet for email and surfing the net. So for now my router is working great. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TheWalt wrote:
Just to follow up...

I picked up the PAP2 anyway because as stated above I wanted the Vonage equipment totally split from my network router, giving me the most flexability.

Let me tell you... this is how I expected the service to work the first time around. Took the unit out of box, set my WRT54G (also HyperWRT tofu10) port forwarding according to the directions, turned QoS on, used my local telephone to set a static IP on the PAP2, plugged it all in. Gave Vonage a phone call on my cell and the nice person there took the WRTP54G off my account, put the PAP2 on it and literally within 15 minutes from opening the package I was up and running.

In fact, and I really belive this to be due to the QoS of the HyperWRT firmware, when I called my girlfriend to test it out she thought I was on my cell phone... and the whole conversation I was playing World of Warcraft with no problems.


I agree that the WRTP54G seems like a great unit for the average home user. And I expect that after a few more firmware updates some of the little glitches will be worked out. But for me, my new setup is working great and if it stays as such through the rest of the week I can finally turn off my lan line for good Smile


I'm sitting here on a conference call with work. I have to admit that I am STUNNED. The voice quality is as good as any landline I've ever talked on, I'm getting no hissing or artifacts, no beeps inserted into my line, and my Caller ID actually worked on a second inbound call since reboot for the first time since the 1.00.52 firmware upgrade.

And all I changed was putting the Vonage router BEHIND a HyperWRT/Tofu-Enabled "real" WRT54G. You'd think that would add delays, but MAN, what an improvement.

Of course, I now have working QoS and the Vonage router gets absolute priority, so the Vonage line now is getting virtually dedicated bandwidth. So it makes sense that it would But even on an idle connection the Vonage line sounds better.

Daaaaaaang. Best $50 I ever spent.
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Katsumi wrote:
Thanks NateHoy for the information. I don't download hardly at all. Mainly use my internet for email and surfing the net. So for now my router is working great. Very Happy


That falls under the old rule, "it it ain't broke, don't fix it". The router is doing what it does best, operating fine under light load. You don't need heavy load, so there's no point in blowing the money on it in your case. Wink
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
I'm sitting here on a conference call with work. I have to admit that I am STUNNED. The voice quality is as good as any landline I've ever talked on, I'm getting no hissing or artifacts, no beeps inserted into my line, and my Caller ID actually worked on a second inbound call since reboot for the first time since the 1.00.52 firmware upgrade.

And all I changed was putting the Vonage router BEHIND a HyperWRT/Tofu-Enabled "real" WRT54G. You'd think that would add delays, but MAN, what an improvement.

Of course, I now have working QoS and the Vonage router gets absolute priority, so the Vonage line now is getting virtually dedicated bandwidth. So it makes sense that it would But even on an idle connection the Vonage line sounds better.

Daaaaaaang. Best $50 I ever spent.

Congrats, Nate. I saw your post over on linksysinfo.org. Glad your new WRT54G is working out so well with HyperWRT/tofu10, that's what I'm running here, and virtually the same setup as you, except my Vonage box is the older RT31P2. I've turned off NAT, DHCP, UPnP & everything else I could find in the RT, and its being JUST a Vonage adapter, which it seems to be great at. As I read here, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Vonage router/ATA combos just don't have the horsepower to perform well as both, at least under significant load, at least with the mandated Vonage firmware. Yours is the latest datapoint on that - take ALL the router load off the box, and your WRTP54G can devote itself to being a (better) Voip adapter. Make it handle any significant routing load, and it appears it doesn't have the cycles to do Voip well.

-Gary-

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DallasFlier wrote:
[
Congrats, Nate. I saw your post over on linksysinfo.org. Glad your new WRT54G is working out so well with HyperWRT/tofu10, that's what I'm running here, and virtually the same setup as you, except my Vonage box is the older RT31P2. I've turned off NAT, DHCP, UPnP & everything else I could find in the RT, and its being JUST a Vonage adapter, which it seems to be great at. As I read here, I'm becoming more and more convinced that the Vonage router/ATA combos just don't have the horsepower to perform well as both, at least under significant load, at least with the mandated Vonage firmware. Yours is the latest datapoint on that - take ALL the router load off the box, and your WRTP54G can devote itself to being a (better) Voip adapter. Make it handle any significant routing load, and it appears it doesn't have the cycles to do Voip well.

-Gary-


I tend to agree, but of course I should have kind of expected this. My WRT54G, running the third party firmware, has less than 1MB of the 16MB free. I cannot imagine trying to cram the instruction sets in for Voip into that router, AND have it do routing with all the bells and whistles.

The WRTP54G is actually a good thing to have, in case I want to take my Vonage line on the road i the future. Having a router means I can use it in my hotel room, and use my laptop at the same time. Of course, I don't know if I want to schlep the router, a telephone, and my laptop. (grin)
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
I should have kind of expected this. My WRT54G, running the third party firmware, has less than 1MB of the 16MB free. I cannot imagine trying to cram the instruction sets in for Voip into that router, AND have it do routing with all the bells and whistles.

Well, you shouldn't have to expect it though. If you're designing and building a dual purpose ATA/router, common sense might suggest you throw a little more memory in there, duh! Lets see, to go from 16M to 32M at today's volume OEM pricing might have cost them a buck or two, give or take. I think Linksys cut every corner they could to meet a price point and get Vonage's business. Problem is, the result is arguably costing Vonage more in support costs and bad word-of-mouth reputation than it saved.

NateHoy wrote:
The WRTP54G is actually a good thing to have, in case I want to take my Vonage line on the road i the future. Having a router means I can use it in my hotel room, and use my laptop at the same time. Of course, I don't know if I want to schlep the router, a telephone, and my laptop. (grin)

That's what they make cell phones, simulring and emailing of voicemail notifications to my cell phone for. Smile

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 01, 2005
Posts: 2257
Location: New England

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DallasFlier wrote:

That's what they make cell phones, simulring and emailing of voicemail notifications to my cell phone for. Smile


Almost scary that you and I have about the same config, and do the same things for portability. Only problem is, I'm stuck with my cell phone for about 8 more months, then sayonara, baby! After that, I may be looking into taking Vonage on the road when I travel, though maybe by then they'll have those sexy little WiFi phones working better...

I used a cell as my primary home phone for several years when the local Bell wanted $75 to activate a wire that was already in the house and had a dial tone, AND they wanted my social security number on file AND a $100 escrow in case I didn't pay my bill (I've never been late on a single payment. ever.)

The woman got really rude when I said that they could not have my SSN, and said "if you don't give me your SSN, you don't get a phone line, what are you going to do, find a competitor? It's not like you have a choice, you know." I told 'em where they could put their copper, and it wasn't a nice place for copper, hung up, and went cell that afternoon - with no escrow and no SSN required. Wink

But Vonage is cheaper and better. So I'm waiting for my cell contract to lapse. In the meantime, I think I use maybe 50 of my 500 minutes a month, and the cell battery is frequently dead for several days before I notice it.
View user's profile Send private message
DallasFlier
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Mar 03, 2005
Posts: 277
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

NateHoy wrote:
Only problem is, I'm stuck with my cell phone for about 8 more months, then sayonara, baby!

Oh no, for me Vonage vs cell isn't an either/or. I'd be totally lost without my cell phone. I'm in technology sales, travel a lot, and there's no way that Vonage is going to do the trick at the airport departure gate, in the plane waiting for them to push back, in a rental car (or my own!), in a taxi, in a client's lobby, etc etc. My cell is indispensable, although I did give the boot to SBC on the POTS line for Vonage some time back.

_________________
TWC 20M/2M w/Moto DOCSIS 3 --> WRT54G v2 (Tomato F/W) --> 4 PC's, 2 wireless; 4 networked DirecTV boxes; PS3 (powerline wired) & Wii (wireless) VT2442 (routing OFF), RTP300 (routing OFF) & V-Portal - Total of 4 Vonage lines
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New leomt16
New Today 2
Yesterday 10
Total 99059

Who Is On Site
Visitors 92
Members 0
Total 92


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.84
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.78 Seconds and 412 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum