How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
aot2002
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:41 am    Post subject: MAJOR ISSUE WHEN IDLE LOSES DIAL TONE have to power cycle Reply with quote Back to top

when not using phone with MTA etc... after a while of Idle nothing of a consistant basis anyway, I pickup and get no dial tone?

so i power cycle the MTA and in a few minutes off we go !

I find it annoying whats happening.

So i call tech support and the gentlemen asked if i was using any peer to peer sharing programs like for downloading music????
of course who isnt today. Well he said its using up the bandwidth when the MTA is trying to register and they should have a fix soon for it.
Well after shutting down the P2P program I'm all good.
Anyone else having the same issue's???

I noticed it helps to turn off the use use optimal bandwith checkbox in some p2p programs cause this cause's the computer to run at top notch serving out music to other users.
ccourtney
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was having the same problem... except I don't use any peer to peer file sharing programs nor do I have any other bandwitdh hogging applications running right now. They RMA'd my MTA and I should get the replacement tomorrow.
aot2002
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 1:47 pm    Post subject: But you didnt listen Reply with quote Back to top

its not the device its the firmware which they are working on!

the device is only as good as the firmware which runs it
like your computer running windows 95 verses windows xp !

wait for the firmware and things should be smoother
ccourtney
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I would agree. It sounded like RMA was the default answer when they had no clue. We'll see when I get the new unit. Hopefully it will have the latest firmware on it.

Craig
aot2002
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

another thing you must realize is the motorola device is just a hardware product and motorola doesn't have the firmware on the device, Vonage replaced it with there's so that customers couldn't access certains areas of the device etc.. you get the idea
but in doing so i think they have only stepped themselves back 50 feet
why would you rewrite software which motorola already made stable etc..
i guess to be special !

i bet the motorola firmware is alot better too !
temproductions
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 7:01 pm    Post subject: Ports open on your routers? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,

I had the same problem that you all are describing. I was using a Linksys router at the time. I called Vonage about the problem, and they emailed me a list of ports that need to be opened in the router.

The problem is that I no longer have this email... Smile But what you are describing sounds exactly like the problems I had at first, and opening these ports in my router fixed the problem immediately.

I now have a Netgear router, which runs Vonage beautifully with no port forwarding modifications. Vonage actually told me that they don't really like Linksys routers - same with DLink and a couple of others.

For those of you still struggling with this problem, it sure sounds to me like maybe these TCP/UDP ports are closing in your router that Vonage is using. Perhaps some research would help you determine which ports they are. It was a fairly huge range, if I remember correctly.

Good luck to you all. By the way, I'm using the Cisco ATA186 on this Netgear router, and I honestly can't remember the last time I had a problem getting dialtone, unless my router froze up. And I use the phone quite heavily.

Take care!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aot2002
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the router has to have the ports open or Vonage will not work!
A friend of mine works for Vonage thats how im aware of alot of these issue's. He mentioned there are a few tech's yapping about which routers work best with what.
Routers will not affect usage with the device except ports not being open UDP type not TCP as Vonage only uses UDP.
open ports 1 through 50000 UDP type and point directly to the Vonage device static ip.
Whether you have a dlink or netgear or linksys it doesnt make a difference.

I once heard someone mention that a realtek chipset will affect Vonage, while this is true if you plug in the lan side of the Vonage device.

I also heard people mentioning having trouble with Vonage when not using a router, Vonage tech was stating it was the cable modems conflicting...hahahah ya ok
it was hackers who did a DOS denial of service on port 23 to the Vonage device and made it shutdown. Vonage forgot to patch this port ...ouch
We live and learn but that was a big security risk, so i would recommend a router to protect the device from hackers hammering it to death.
big_bob
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

aot2002 wrote:
the router has to have the ports open or Vonage will not work!
A friend of mine works for Vonage thats how im aware of alot of these issue's. He mentioned there are a few tech's yapping about which routers work best with what.
Routers will not affect usage with the device except ports not being open UDP type not TCP as Vonage only uses UDP.
open ports 1 through 50000 UDP type and point directly to the Vonage device static ip.
Whether you have a dlink or netgear or linksys it doesnt make a difference.

I must disagree with you on the port forwarding. I bought the Netgear RP614v2 router when I signed up with Vonage. I got the Cisco ATA and plugged it in and it worked. No port forwarding, no port triggering, no UPNP, no fiddling of any kind.

Now, the Motorola device may require port forwarding, I don't have any experience with it...

Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Port forwarding... Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I must disagree with you on the port forwarding. I bought the Netgear RP614v2 router when I signed up with Vonage. I got the Cisco ATA and plugged it in and it worked. No port forwarding, no port triggering, no UPNP, no fiddling of any kind.

Now, the Motorola device may require port forwarding, I don't have any experience with it...

I had the exact same experience with my Netgear router. My Linksys SEEMED to behave better when the port forwarding that Vonage recommended was activated, but frankly there were other non-Vonage related issues at the time that could distantly been to blame.

Vonage runs beautifully on my Netgear router, no port forwarding required. Like you said above, the Motorola unit might behave differently, though I would have to think that from a networking standpoint, it would be absolutely no different from the Cisco.

As for the type of router, I certainly wouldn't think it would matter what brand of router you use, but the guy I spoke to at Vonage loosely suggested that they are 'less fond' of certain brand of routers over others. I can certainly testify that Vonage has been 100% more reliable for ME on the Netgear router than it EVER was on the Linksys. Weird.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
aot2002
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

>>The Motorola unit might behave differently

which unit are referring to then ?
I'm using motorola not anything else. Are you saying you have something other then motorola for Vonage?

I'm talking about motorola nothing else!