How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Jaxxx
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:39 am    Post subject: Problems with RT31P2 router Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings,

A few days ago I received my RT31P2 router from Vonage. After a couple of days of follwing the online install instructions, tinkering with it myself and about 2 hours on the phone with Vonage reps, I still cannot get it to work. Here is my setup:

Cable Modem ---- Phone Router --- Other router --- 2 PC's

My other router is also a Linksys. Now, I have tried several different configurations. Going straight from the phone router to my 2 PC's, not having my PC's hooked up at all, etc. Nothing is working. What happens is, on the phone router the Power, Ethernet, and Internet lights are all flashing rapidly. The Phone lights (both of them) light up for a second, about every 30 seconds or so. Immediately after they light up, the phone I have plugged into the phone router makes a "chirp" sound. If I pick up the receiver I get no dial tone, but the button tones do work. I tested cftp at the command prompt and succesfully got back a packet from cftp.vonage.net. When in the current configuration that I illustrated above, both my PC's can acess the internet. I can only get to the setup page of my other router (192.168.1.1) however going to the IP that my voice router is supposed to be at (192.168.15.1) brings up a "Page not found" error.

I am at a loss here, like I said I have talked for about 2 hours to 2 separate Vonage techs and neither one was able to guide me to a solution. I am almost at the point where I am just going to give up and try another service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Jaxxx
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well I just got off the phone with Vonage for the THIRD time. I told them what the lights were doing. They were apparently concerned about the Power light blinking, so they had me unplug the AC adapter from a surge protector and plug it directly into the wall. That didn't help any. They then ran methrough the usual ipconfig, /release, /renew bit, had me set up a static IP, etc. When that didn't work they declared the router "bad" and said they would ship a new one out in 3 days. That is simply unacceptable. I am currently in Korea, for a year. To get my router I had Vonage ship the unit to a relative in Florida who then shipped it to me. Vonage of course does not ship to overseas. So now I am supposed to wait while they ship another router to Florida, and then wait for it to go from Florida to Korea? Besides which, I don't think the router is bad. I think something is just screwy with my original router's setup that is preventing the Vonage router from connecting to the Voip server or whatever it is. Of course, neither of the 3 techs I spoked to had me do anything with my router's settings. I mean, these are just people reading from some script. They don't seem to have any knowledge whatsoever of the underlying technology. If their scripted "solutions" don't work they just throw their hands up in the air, declare the router defective and send you another one. I read another post about a person with a similar problem as mine. They got sent 3 replacement routers, each one demonstrating the same problems. At some point don't you have to realize that it's not the router?

I'm about at the point of giving up. There are some people who live in my building who have Vonage set up succesfully so maybe one of them will be able to help out. I have completely given up on Vonage's inept customer service. I am highly disappointed.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You say that you've tried several configurations, but have you tried a "bare bones" setup with nothing but the phone router plugged into the cable modem, a phone plugged into the phone router, and nothing else? If the phone works in that configuration, then you can start adding things until you determine what makes it fail.

If the phone light doesn't come on and stay on, with the power light steady, it would be hard to argue with the bad router diagnosis.
Jaxxx
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Steve48,

Thanks for the reply. I was pretty sure that I had already tried the "bare bones" setup but I went ahead and did it again after your post. The same thing happenes, constantly blinking Internet and Power lights, with the phone lights coming on every 30 seconds. I'm going to go ahead and have another router shipped to me.
booter2
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Had this happen today Reply with quote Back to top

What is happening is the router is successfully downloading the firmware but never gets confirmation.The Vonage tech may have to "force" the download to be confirmed by either sending it to you for installation or force the device properties to be sent to your router. You may be on a call when the phone lights go out for no explicible reason and the call drops. You may be watching your adapter phone lights and they will go out for a few moments and come back on. Moments after hanging up on one call ,you try to dial out for another and get nothing.
The server is sending the firmware but the adapter is not acknowledging it. After it gets acknowledged , this will not happen.
This seems to happen only on RTP300's with the Texas Instruments chip in it.
This is a formidable router(for home use) , so once the firmware has ' settled in ' , it should be fine

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Problems with RT31P2 router - more Reply with quote Back to top

Not trying to steal the thread here, but am posting this to help others that may have problems with installation.

Got all my gear together - ethernet adaptor for the PC, D-Link DSL-300T ADSL modem and Linksys RT31P2 router. Set it up so that the router was not part of the network, (ie just Pc to modem to phone line), put the modem into PPPoE mode and supplied it with the ISP username and password to check I could access the internet and was grinning from ear to ear everything worked virtually out of the box - until I put the router into the network. Then there was no internet connectivity whatsoever.

After running the basic setup and the advanced setup and trying the most obvious changes, carefully noting what I had changed and checking all the FAQs on the Vonage site I finally rang Vonage tech support who took me through the usual configurations and checks, DHCP/PPPoE, ipconfig release/renew, ping this, ping that, power down/power up, reset both modem and router for about 90 minutes before they told me it was a defective router and they would ship me another.

And I would have to pay the return shipping for the "defective" one!!

Except it wasn't a defective router at all. After talking to my son who has a home network, works in IP and is consequently a damn sight more IP savvy than I am, he told me to put the DCT-300T into bridge mode and the router into PPPoE with the username and password needed to log into my ISP account on the router - now that I understand. And hey - it worked!

OK, I bought into a technology I know something about - but not a lot - and I share some of the responsibility for learning and understanding what I am doing. But hey Vonage Tech Support - why didn't you think of trying what my son suggested - you are the paid professionals here - especially as I asked what was the point of having PPPoE on both router and the ADSL modem. If I had not had recourse to my son's knowledge I would have got another router in a couple of days which would have behaved exactly the same.

The moral of the story is simple. Get the help of someone who knows about IP, modems and routers and bypass Vonage Tech Support. You will get up and running much more quickly.

~voipduffer