How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » VoIP Feature Wish List
Poll

Would you like to block certains number from calling you.
Yes!
98%
 98%  [ 255 ]
No.
1%
 1%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 258

Outlier04
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Specialops, phone tray does seem interesting. But does your computer have to stay on 24 hours/7 days a week for this to work? Alot of people like myself don't leave their computers on at all times. For me that's a deal-breaker. Can you let us know if that's the case?

If you're a new Vonage user like myself and plan to connect your home with cordless phones, then it's very possible you may be replacing all your existing phones with one network of cordless phones anyway. That's what happened with me. I already had an existing cordless phone network but it only came with 2 handsets. The other phones I had were not part of the cordless network & just individual phones. After getting Vonage I realized I'd probably have to get a new cordless phone network with 4 handsets since my other phones would become useless (it was more economical to buy a new set anyway compared to buying individual extension handsets to my existing cordless phone). Also, the technology of the new cordless phones today are significantly better than they were a few years ago, the new ones being less affected by electrical sources & interference from wireless networks (DECT 6.0 technology). I could notice a difference right away when speaking with my old phone & with the new one I just got. So if you plan to get a new cordless phone network anyway, then you should be getting one with the Call Block & Night Mode features (I also recommend DECT 6.0 technology). After you purchase it, the hardware is yours for good. You never know if or when free software ceases to become free.

I'm not sure if the "no telemarketing" message is more likely to take you off their list or more likely to piss them off & keep you on their list! As for me, I'll settle with giving them a busy signal, then a disconnect (which is what the Call Block feature on my phone does). As for call log, you have a log of your incoming calls within your online Vonage account anyway. You can also program the phone to have it ring differently for different callers. The phone also announces the person's name who is calling so you don't have to run to the caller ID to check who it is. All of this & your computer doesn't have to remain on 24/7. So at this point I can't see much more that phone tray could offer that my new phone doesn't already offer. In addition, I've had my modem for several years & it's served me well with its' reliability. And it's already demonstrated it's capable of making clear quality Vonage calls while downloading things from the internet. If I had a choice of upgrading my phone or changing my modem, I would rather upgrade the phone.

The phone tray software does seem interesting although it seems like there's some footwork involved in setting it up. If you're on a tight budget perhaps this could be the way to go. Otherwise, I'd go with the new phone. You could pick one up and make sure there's a 30 day return policy, check out the reception, and if you like it, keep it. If not, return it. Like I said, in my case I noticed a huge difference in reception between my old cordless phone (which I got just a few years ago) and this new one which uses new DECT 6.0 technology. With the better reception & all the new features, I was immediately sold.
specialops
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Block Incoming Numbers Reply with quote Back to top

Outlier04,

Unfortunately, you must leave your computer on. Although it does not access the internet, the power is via usb to the computer. We have a PC and a laptop. The PC stays on; sleep mode is automatic. You would think that all PCs would have internal voice modems as standard equipment. My old Windows 2000 HP had one PLUS an answering machine feature - go figure.

I like the convenience of Phone Tray's call log because I don't have to log in to view it like I have to for Vonage call log. We have Uniden 5.8 w/3 handsets, expandable, but don't need additional. Recently completed the steps to activate the phone jacks, mainly for the security system and one corded phone in the guest room. Not in the market for new phones - yet; won't buy unless I can justify.

I hear you about the uncertainty of free software, however, I would be willing to purchase this one. The problem I see with the built in phone features is that there is a cap on the number of calls you can block. If it's not unlimited, that's a deal breaker for me. Phone Tray will announce the calls if you want - I don't want at all, so disabled this feature. Distinctive rings for our VIP calls (family, etc) are set up through the Uniden phones, a great phone feature. The phones also have a do not disturb feature - haven't used it.

Figured I would try the "no telemarketer" recording to see how well it works with reputable companies. If it doesn't, there are 9 other recordings to choose from, one of which is dead air then disconnect, or (evil grin and rubbing my hands together) I can create unique ones. I don't mind playing with the unwanted callers now since I can zap them into oblivion whenever and however twisted:.

Please do tell what phone you had before and share more details about the difference between that one(s) and the DECT 6.0. Also, what brand DECT did you go with? Thanks!
Outlier04
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you don't mind leaving your computer on, there's a really cheap alternative to Vonage for phone service altogether. It's called Magic Jack (www.magicjack.com) - unlimited calls to the U.S. & Canada for a year for $39.95 plus s/h (not per month, per year!). That's $3.33 per month. But after the first year the price becomes $19.95 for the year ($1.66 per month). It's been featured on CBS news & won a PC Magazine Editor's Choice award. You just plug their device into your USB port & then your phone into this device. Although it has the major features (caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, voicemail, etc.) I don't think it has anonymous call rejection or any type of incoming caller block feature... yet. In that case I think the call block/night mode features of the actual telephone would be invaluable. I'm not sure the exact technology behind it so I'm not sure if the phone tray software would be compatible with it.

Anyway, you're right that a potential disadvantage to using the phone to block numbers is that it may have a limit on the number of phone numbers you can enter. On my phone I can only enter a maximum of 20. However, in my case I don't really consider this a disadvantage...yet. In my lifetime I've never had more than a handful of problem callers to deal with at a time. At this moment I am only blocking 2 numbers. So in my case 20 is more than enough. If you think you'll be blocking more than 20 individual numbers then perhaps the phone model I have won't be sufficient, although it is better than nothing. Also, I'm only speaking for my model, other models may have a larger capacity.

To tell you the truth, I value the phone I just got much more for the call quality than for the call block feature. My old cordless phone set was still a Panasonic, but I don't remember the model number (I just gave it away this weekend). I do remember it was 2.4 GHz. Don't get me wrong, the call quality was still ok & I could still communicate. It's just that I'd hear some occasional static & also slight echoing. Even as I was talking to the Vonage customer service rep, she heard it too & she said that it wasn't normal. But again, it wasn't so bad that we couldn't communicate with each other. It was just irritating. I do have a wireless router here & it's possible that it could have had something to do with the wireless signals. The new cordless phone set I just bought & am happy with now is the Panasonic KX-TG9334 but it's the same as the KX-TG9331, KX-TG9332, & KX-TG9333 (the last digit refers to how many phones are in the set). As I mentioned, this new phone has the DECT 6.0 technology and I'm not 100% sure if I can attribute it to that, but my call quality is crystal clear now - no static or echoes. Supposedly, this new technology prevents interference from wireless networks so a reasonable deduction would be that this newer technology is making the calls much clearer. I have 30 days from the purchase date to return it but I will definitely be keeping it.

If anyone else tries using a phone with DECT 6.0 (whether it's this model or any other model) please share your experiences.
specialops
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Block Incoming Calls Reply with quote Back to top

Outlier04,

Thanks for posting the info re the Panasonic DECT phone you purchased. I might have to find a justification for that purchase Very Happy. I like my 5.8, however notice some slight static when I walk out into the garage of all places AND lately some clicking noise on the line (is the phone tapped?? oops, sorry I flashed back to "Enemy of the State" for a moment). Just like you mentioned, it could be my recent wireless additions to the computer family that's causing some of this. Also, I've recently been experiencing dropped internet connection on the PC (no viruses, etc) while online but not impacting the Vonage service, hmm. Might have to get Time Warner in on this because it is MADDENING when I have to reboot - which is the only way to restore...

BTW, one of my coworkers recently tried Magic Jack. She and husband were excited about the concept and price. However today, she told me that they experienced problems and sent it back; decided to go with an expandable bluetooth phoneset connected with cellphone. A major drawback to using cellphone as primary is (drum roll...) telemarketers. Plus, the reception at my house is schizophrenic at best. Nextel was clear as a bell with no dropped calls but I put up a ring of garlic at the mere mention of their name now. The short of it was that they tried to stick me with an early terminate fee upon canceling service and porting my number when the contract was up. They insisted that I extended it for an additional year when I changed plans. All of that was telephonic and since I keep everything, I had notes re the transaction; I was not told of the extension. So I said produce an audio recording or a signed contract - put up or shut up. Which they did not, and ultimately I won, although it was tedious. Evidently, they were not used to dealing with an informed consumer. I was really looking forward to going after them monetarily but they just wouldn't cross the legal line and neither would their collection thugs (darn it). Back to Magic Jack. When she first mentioned it, I googled Magic Jack, the negative consumer experiences far outweighed the positives. So, I didn't even think of considering it. Fortunately, I'm very happy with Vonage. But I'll be even ecstatic, like the rest of us (minus the 3 people who voted that they don't care??) when they FINALLY add call block!!
vot
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: sounds silly.. Reply with quote Back to top

They have added the feature for anonymous call blocking but not for individual call blocking hmmm. Sounds like someone was bought out of this feature at Vonage. Even little companies like Lingo have this feature...

I was trying Vonage out on a trial but I am sending it all back.

Decent phone quality a few cool features (that other companies have as well) and all around a decent deal however..

I must stop those pesky unwanted callers of all sorts..

It's a must...

I might try Phone Tray for a bit to see if it suffices but I can bet that Vonage has pruposely kept this feature away for some sinister reason.

Huge telemarketing companies/debt collecting companies propositioning Vonage?

who knows...

It's not coming any time soon unless I raise the right eye brow with this message Smile
skottey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Call Blocking Reply with quote Back to top

Rabboni wrote:
The reason Vonage does not offer or respond to requests to offer Call Blocking is quite simple: if Vonage customers had that feature they would be able to block Vonage Customers Reps (collection) as well as others unwanted calls. Don't hold your hands on your ass waiting for this feature.

Peace,

Rabboni

This is really ignorant. I'm very embarrassed for this 'Rabboni' person for posting such a response. I'll bet Rabboni is the type of person that constantly finds himself or herself later embarrassed about something he or she said in mixed company. Amazing.
skottey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DigitalVoice wrote:
Boogie wrote:
+1

Vonage... Stupid if you don't get with the program and add such a common feature...

Don't hold your breath, this company is on its way out. At this time in the ball game, Call blocking or any other feature you might think of wouldn't make much difference.

On the way out? We are two days away from the two year anniversary of this person's comment about Vonage being on their way out. Not sure what gave them that idea. I'm happy with Vonage and have been since 2003. I'd love certain features like call block of anonymous numbers, as well as specified numbers, but no service has everything and this missing feature is hardly going to drive them out of business.
skottey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

People... the solution to this issue must be done at the Vonage end. Having a hardware or software device to block specific numbers does you no good if you forward your calls to a cell phone using the simulring function. I have my business calls ring through to my cell phone and even though I am on the do not call list, I still get solicitation calls and other unwanted calls on my Vonage line.

Vonage needs to implement this and I would gladly pay an extra $5 a month for this feature if need be.
strange_69
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I wish there was a way that allowed Vonage and Google Voice to work together. Since Vonage is dragging it's feet and Google Voice has already done the leg work, it would be cool if you could, somehow, have your Vonage calls go directly to Google Voice to be sorted out and then sent back to your Vonage adapter. Either that or Vonage gets off it's butt and fixes this problem.

Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

strange_69 wrote:

Either that or Vonage gets off it's butt and fixes this problem.

Until that happens, call blocking is one feature of Voip Recorder, and VR is available now and works with Vonage. You can block based on caller number or caller-id name (or any portion thereof).

VR is software, so you need to have your computer turned on, but it works with your ordinary ATA and doesn't require that you obtain any funky hardware (like modems or obsolete networking hubs). Your ATA and a standard home internet router is all it takes.

Free trial (not even a registration required) at http://www.penbaynetworks.com/ - VR is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.