infrequently on
the phone. I'm
thinking of
switching to a
data-only

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Use with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?
On Jul 21, 2014 at 14:29:35

szurcsii Posted:
Hey! I'm
planning to build
my own voip alarm
system. I found a
guide that looks

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Alarm systems and VOIP
On Jun 27, 2014 at 01:09:10

DSewhuk Posted:
The last week I
have seen a
similar issue. I
have gotten 2
simultaneous calls
outbound

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Outbound calls showing when no call is being made
On Jun 11, 2014 at 23:25:10

HtomSirveaux Posted:
Rather than be
long and wordy,
I'll get right to
the point(s): -
Have had VDV23

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
VDV23 - Max Upstream?
On Jun 10, 2014 at 18:18:46

revrob Posted:
I've only just
signed up for
Vonage service a
couple of days ago
and set up the kit

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
Witholding Caller ID from display and the BT 1471 service
On May 22, 2014 at 16:45:07

dconnor Posted:
Try: MODEM
->SWITCH V->
BROWSER ->
-> VONAGE

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Internet via Vonage is only 50Mbps
On May 18, 2014 at 12:31:40

harshal45 Posted:
Hello, I have a
105Mbps Comcast
connection. When I
make a wired
connection to

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Internet via Vonage is only 50Mbps
On May 17, 2014 at 10:46:09

johnnyc14 Posted:
The issue you are
having is related
to your Direct TV
set-top box. From
time to time,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
On May 10, 2014 at 10:30:44

TimothyM Posted:
It is strange
issue and hear it
first time. :eek:
This may be
the problem of

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
On May 03, 2014 at 01:30:33

jlilest Posted:
Vonage: US
numbers iPhone:
T-Mobile
carrier I am
having trouble

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Problem with Simulring going straight to voicemail with iPho
On Apr 17, 2014 at 21:35:11

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Extends Home Phone Use and Savings Beyond the Front Door

Vonage Granted Another Three Patents

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Appreciation
Appreciation

Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

international connection
international connection

VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!
VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!

Should have signed up sooner!!!!
Should have signed up sooner!!!!

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
turbo53
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject: 911 failure Reply with quote Back to top

I tried to activate 911 dialing on my Vonage account and received the following email:

Quote:

On July 2, 2005, we received your request to activate 911 Dialing.

Unfortunately the address you provided failed our 911 Address Matching Test.

The reason for this failure is listed below:
We're sorry. There was a problem with the information you provided. Please re-enter your address.

The address I gave them is correct. Does anyone know what "911 Address Matching Test" is?

I wonder if the problem is that my post office (i.e. mailing address) is in a nearby city, but technically I don't live in the city.
rcb116
Vonage
Representative
Vonage<br>Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The solution is simple,

Go to map quest and get directions from your house to where ever.
Then enter your address into the 911 the way map quest spells it out.

The reason your address failed was because it wasnt found in the system the way you spelled it.

Example.
You may live on Route 287 but the system may only take it as State Highway 287. I know.. I know.. its stupid!!! Smile
linnym
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had a similar issue.
I live on a county line thus my road has two names.
My address is of course in the county I live in and that is also where my post office is.
BUT... I get my power from the other county's lines (across the street) and so the power company has me listed under the address that would be for the other side of the road. That address is the one I had to give in order to get 911 service enabled.
So if I were to give you both of my addresses you would be able to send snail-mail to both and I would receive both.
All but one of my bills come to the address for the county I live in but my power bill come to me with the "other" address.
Go figure, and when I try to use different mapping programs half have the address I use and the other half cannot locate it. and visa-versa.
Oh and I don't use FED-EX unless I want at least a week added on to the ship date because they refuse to update the mapping software they use to find me because I use my counties address instead of the "other" one.
turbo53
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The only difference in Mapquest was the suffix for my street. My address ends with the word "Place" and Mapquest says "Pl".

The other difference was that Mapquest gave me a 9 digit zip code, but Vonage wouldn't accept 9 digits.

So I changed "Place" to "Pl" and we'll see what happens.

If this fixes it then it IS stupid.
rcb116
Vonage
Representative
Vonage<br>Representative

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A system similar to map quest is used to verify an address. So if that doesn't do it, perhaps there is another listing for your street. Such as here we have the Newark-Pompton turnpike but there is also a number for it (like 202 or something). If that doesn't do it please call CS. Nine out of ten times it is the address spelling.
turbo53
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well...that did it.

Changing "Place" to "Pl" caused 911 to be activated successfully.

Thanks for the help.
dgallup
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject: my address doesn't have a suffix Reply with quote Back to top

My address doesn't appear to have a suffix, but the 911 registration requires one. I have found my address on MapQuest, and it doesn't have a suffix either. My address from MapQuest is of the form "123 NC 45" (I live on a highway). What should I put for my suffix?
mohrds
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: my address doesn't have a suffix Reply with quote Back to top

dgallup wrote:
My address doesn't appear to have a suffix, but the 911 registration requires one. I have found my address on MapQuest, and it doesn't have a suffix either. My address from MapQuest is of the form "123 NC 45" (I live on a highway). What should I put for my suffix?

Check with http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp for the official US mailing address.

All the mapquest, fedex, etc. are for their businesses reference only.

Doug
Hurricane
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: 911 Failure Reply with quote Back to top

The reason why many addresses fail to validate has nothing to do with Vonage. The local 911 centers (called PSAPs-Public safety Answering Points) use technology developed in the 1970s to maintain their list of local addresses. Each address is matched to a phone number and appropriate responder info. Unfortunately, these addresses are coded in odd ways ("PL" instead of "Place") because in 1970 every byte of data was very expensive. To make things worse, the PSAPs code their addresses differently than do the more capable mapping services, like MapQuest, and they also do not correlate to the postal address. The PSAP list of addresses is called an MSAG-Master Street Address Guide. When Vonage sends a non-MSAG street address to the PSAP, it causes the PSAP mapping and answering equipment to go haywire. This is why PSAPs have been very demanding in requiring Vonage to send MSAG addresses only. In the regular phone company, they have experts who do nothing but check the postal address of each newly installed telephone and make sure it is MSAG-correct. Since the Vonage business model relys on ordinary people to order their own service and handle their own provisioning, the number of non-MSAG addresses is naturally quite high. Those of us who value the ease and annonymity of Voip must tolerate some level of frustration in the arcane world of E911 provisioning. The PSAPs could make things easier by publishing a national MSAG, but they release this info only to phone companies and other E911 businesses with a "need to know".
VonageTPA
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hurricane has the right answer on this... I have a few friends in law enforcement and one night my friend's pager went off. One of her GPS-tracked parolees was on the run. So, she gets out her laptop. NONE of the streets in this area were on her maps. Ended up tossing the GPS coordinates (Latitude/longitude) into Delorme's Street Atlas and it showed the guy had probably made a trip to the ER, and listed the hospital phone #... Sure enough, that's where he was....but the police databases showed him off in some cow field.

I'd also like to ask, how long does it normally take for 911 activation to occur?