joelmch Posted:
No for me. You can
easily block that
caller ID by the
way.

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
anyone getting annoying calls from 3104295382?
On Dec 01, 2013 at 11:26:20

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Extends Home Phone Use and Savings Beyond the Front Door

Vonage Granted Another Three Patents

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Appreciation
Appreciation

Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

international connection
international connection

VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!
VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!

Should have signed up sooner!!!!
Should have signed up sooner!!!!

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
mjfhal
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:00 am    Post subject: See Computer on LAN Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

I can not correct a problem on my home LAN and thought maybe someone here has had a similar problem that might be able to help.

I have DSL modem (from service provider)
Linksys RT31P2 router (three LAN ports)
Network Everywhere NR041 DSL/Router (4 LAN ports)
(listed in flow order)

I have 4 computers using WinXP that use the internet.

Here is the problem:
When I use the RT31P2 by itself (without the NR041) I can connect three computers to internet. (all three can see internet and each other)
When I use the NR041 by itself (without the RT31P2) I can connect all four computers to the internet (all can see internet and each other)
When I connect the RT31P2 to the NR041 I all computers can see internet but not each other (RT31P2 computers can see each other) and (NR041 computers can see each other).

I often have a guest computer in the house and would like to use that 6th LAN port for the guest. With 6 connections total (2 on RT31P2 because one is needed to link the NR041) and (4 on the NR041 because one is link from RT31P2) that fills up my network.

All computers are configured default settings with the same workgroup names.

How can all the computers on both boxes see each other in network?

Thanks in advance.
MJ
Eek
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

A home network has no need for more than one router. Use the RT31P2 as your router, and add a switch/hub to get additional ports.

You can turn your NR041 into a switch by turning off its router capabilities. The most important thing to turn off is DHCP, but look through the settings and turn off other stuff you find too.

When the NR041 has been derouterified, you can use its LAN ports as a plain switch. Just run a cable from a LAN port on the RT to a LAN port on the NR, and you'll have what amounts to an RT31P2 with 5 available ports (2 on the RT itself, and 3 more on the NR).

If you need more than 5 ports, then you'll just have to go buy and 8-port switch and use that instead... they're pretty cheap.
mjfhal
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

paul248

Thanks for responding.

I did as you suggested, disabled DHCP on the NR041 and I lost the internet on that box.

I have not a clue to what other settings might cause the NR041 to stop acting as a router.

What should i do to disable the NR041 router capabilities?
Sim
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You could also use the RT31P2 as a switch by disabling DHCP and NAT translating (router config and advance config). The problem you are having by using two routers is that each computers connected to your routers are on different subnet (192.168.1.XXX and 192.168.???.XXX) so they can't see each others.
So you wnat to have a single router providing ip adresses to his ports.
The second router should act as a switch that connect in the first router (lan port) so the others computers obtain ip from the same router. In that setup, every computers are on the same lan (and subnet) and can see each other.
Sim
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You have to stop using the WAN port on the NR. Without the router stuff enabled, the WAN port is useless. Only use the LAN ports, as I described above.

The computers should be able to get online if you either reboot them, or just renew the DHCP.
eric3564
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had the same situation, as do many others i would believe. I could not get the computers on the two routers to communicate with each other. I also had everything turned off & even tried two routers with the same internal IP scheme - no go. I gave up & bought a simple 10/100 mbps hub from ebay for less that $10.00 - All is great...
kendolin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Benefits:

· Keep existing LAN configuration intact, including LAN IP settings and wireless connectivity.
· Rely upon existing LAN for DHCP, firewall, etc. services.
· Host services from LAN (e.g., SSH, Web Server, etc.).
· Get access to Modem, Voip Router, LAN router all from same workstation on LAN
· Continue to have VPN access.
· Make minimal changes to current LAN configuration
· QOS for voice traffic prioritization, will be left intact as Voip router is ahead of LAN router.
· Expose the Voip router to the Voip services provider so that they can perform their necessary maintenance (e.g., firmware upgrades).

The topology is (with NO crossover cables):
Modem > RT31P2 WAN Port > Existing LAN Router WAN Port > LAN Workstations LAN ports and Wireless, which preserves QOS for voice call priority.

Here you can see where I have access to my cable modem, Voip Router, LAN Router, as well as hosting services (in this case FreeNX over SSH):

Make sure to get IP address from ISP by setting “Obtain an IP automatically” and to disable DHCP server, as your LAN router will perform that function:

The trick is to 1) set your existing LAN router in the DMZ of the Voip router:

And 2) forward all ports to the LAN router:

On your existing router set the Voip router as the gateway and your static IP address as the Voip router DMZ address:

YMMV
kendolin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kendolin, that setup is pretty good, but in most cases I'd still prefer my "use the RT31P2 as your only router, use your old router as a plain switch or wireless access point" idea, because it avoids double-NATting. Packets only have to jump through 1 router, rather than 2.

Another good solution is to use the QoS features on an existing router (for example, a WRT54G), and put the Vonage box behind it.

Then, of course, you could get a WRTP54G and avoid the whole 2-box scenario altogether. That is, assuming they get the firmware bugs worked out.
kendolin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

paul248 wrote:
kendolin, that setup is pretty good, but in most cases I'd still prefer my "use the RT31P2 as your only router, use your old router as a plain switch or wireless access point" idea, because it avoids double-NATting. Packets only have to jump through 1 router, rather than 2.

Note that it in my traceroute it seems to hop through the P2 (192.168.15.1), but will still hop to it (seems these are pretty smart with double-Nating) same with my cable modem (192.168.100.1):

paul248 wrote:
Another good solution is to use the QoS features on an existing router (for example, a WRT54G), and put the Vonage box behind it.

I was thinking more along the lines of a Cisco 871.

paul248 wrote:
Then, of course, you could get a WRTP54G and avoid the whole 2-box scenario altogether. That is, assuming they get the firmware bugs worked out.

I have a hard enough time with the DLink 624 let alone the WRTP54G. So in the meantime I think that this gives me the best alternative given my equipment. Besides the 624 has done very well so far as my LAN router and 108 wireless, much faster than my old DLink 614.