infrequently on
the phone. I'm
thinking of
switching to a
data-only

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Use with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?
On Jul 21, 2014 at 14:29:35

szurcsii Posted:
Hey! I'm
planning to build
my own voip alarm
system. I found a
guide that looks

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Alarm systems and VOIP
On Jun 27, 2014 at 01:09:10

DSewhuk Posted:
The last week I
have seen a
similar issue. I
have gotten 2
simultaneous calls
outbound

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Outbound calls showing when no call is being made
On Jun 11, 2014 at 23:25:10

HtomSirveaux Posted:
Rather than be
long and wordy,
I'll get right to
the point(s): -
Have had VDV23

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
VDV23 - Max Upstream?
On Jun 10, 2014 at 18:18:46

revrob Posted:
I've only just
signed up for
Vonage service a
couple of days ago
and set up the kit

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
Witholding Caller ID from display and the BT 1471 service
On May 22, 2014 at 16:45:07

dconnor Posted:
Try: MODEM
->SWITCH V->
BROWSER ->
-> VONAGE

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Internet via Vonage is only 50Mbps
On May 18, 2014 at 12:31:40

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Extends Home Phone Use and Savings Beyond the Front Door

Vonage Granted Another Three Patents

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Appreciation
Appreciation

Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

international connection
international connection

VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!
VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!

Should have signed up sooner!!!!
Should have signed up sooner!!!!

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject: WiFi connection dropping - help with network setup please Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, have had Vonage installed for a while, but recently noticed WiFi connection on my laptop dropping every hour or two. It then reconnects fine if I repaid the connection (am using the simple WinXP wifi network connection, no other software).

Network is :

Thomson Speedtouch 510 ADSL modem/router > Linksys RT31P2 > Linksys WRT54GS

Run both a desktop and laptop off the WRT54GS.

Before this setup, tried putting the WRT54GS in front of the RT31P2, but network ran very slowly and had trouble with Vonage in some aspects.

From research on this board, I'm guessing the problem I am having has something to do with both routers conflicting on IP assignment, but I don't really want to play with the config of either or both boxes until I get some solid advice.

Help please Smile
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the wrt in front of the rt31p2 is ideal and works great for tons of people, so you should figure out what your problem is with it if at all possible. it should be plug n play more or less, so tell us exactly how it was setup when the wrt was first (i.e. dsl to wrt to two computers and rt31p2 and no computers connected to rt31p2)

TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for your help... to be honest I think last time around I had both the WRT and RT off the (4 port) Thomson ADLS modem/router.

I'll try as you suggest, ie connect to the WRT first and then connect the RT and the desktop to that.... naturally the (wireless) laptop will also come off the WRT from the WLAN.

Hopefully it is plug and play.... ie that I don't have to play with the settings Smile
kendolin
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WiFi connection dropping - help with network setup pleas Reply with quote Back to top

TomCayman wrote:
From research on this board, I'm guessing the problem I am having has something to do with both routers conflicting on IP assignment, but I don't really want to play with the config of either or both boxes until I get some solid advice.

Help please Smile

I don't know what you mean by conflicting IP assignment. If you had both routers on one subnet, then that would be a problem, but you would have more problems than what you dictated above. What are the IP addresses of the routers (for example 192.168.15.1 for the Voip router and 192.168.0.1 for the LAN router)? I can walk you through how I have mine set up as far as two different subnets, but that may not address your wireless problem.
TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Still having a problem when Vonage connected behind WRT54GS Reply with quote Back to top

Ok.. followed the instructions for connecting the network as follows :

Thomson 510 Speedtouch ADSL modem > WRT54GS.

Connected to the WRT54GS are a) my RT31 Vonage box, b) a desktop PC, and c) the WLAN (naturally), with one laptop connected.

Now, with this the Vonage phone line works great, but the internet connection is a) slow, and b) intermittently drops out... particularly on the desktop.

On the wireless laptop it isn't so bad, but every hour or so when in use I have to disable and re-enable the wireless on the laptop to re-establish the network connection.

Of course if I switch off the Vonage box power.. everything on the network is fine.

Any ideas... pretty please ? Smile

I have no idea what to suggest, but could it be as simple as which ports I have the Desktop and Vonage box connected to on the WRT54GS ?

What about the WinXP Quality of Service option on the network connection on the PC and Laptop ?

Help !!
TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:40 pm    Post subject: Should I set up QoS on the WRT54GS ? Reply with quote Back to top

Just researching posts... should I set up the QoS on the WRT54GS ?

If so, I am running on a 512k/256k ADSL connection, how much bandwidth should I prioritise to the Vonage port ?

Sigh... it really should not be this difficult to set this up, it should be plug and play.... worse than Windows Smile
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In light of jodonoghue's recent post... do you have any 2.4GHz phones in your house? Nearby neighbors with a wireless network? It may just be interference.
TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thx... no, I only have a 5.8 ghz cordless

If I look, there are a couple of other WLANs in range near my condo (just), but I don't think it is interference... as my network works beautifully if I simply switch off my Vonage box.... I think it has to do with some sort of conflict between the packet scheduling (or something) between the RT31 Vonage box and the other stuff on the network.
Milver
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

TomCayman wrote:
Thx... no, I only have a 5.8 ghz cordless

If I look, there are a couple of other WLANs in range near my condo (just), but I don't think it is interference... as my network works beautifully if I simply switch off my Vonage box.... I think it has to do with some sort of conflict between the packet scheduling (or something) between the RT31 Vonage box and the other stuff on the network.

Did you solve your issue?
TomCayman
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sort of... connected DSL to WRT54GS, then connected desktop and Vonage box to the WRT54GS..... seems to work fine.. unless Vonage box is in use... in which case the internet runs slowly... but to be honest don't tend to use Vonage much at the same time as using internet for web surfing, email etc, so not bothering me.