How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
jakerobinson
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Faxing Issues Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I have been having problems using my fax machine as of late with Vonage. When trying to send a fax my machine says "Error 344."

For months I had the unlimited plan and experienced no problems whatsoever using the same machine, but recently I switched to the residential 500 plan and the fax hasn't worked since that point. I don't know if this is just a coincidence or not. Do you think that could be the reason it's not working for me now?

Also, Is there currently a fix for this or should I just switch back to the unlimited plan and see if that works since the unlimited plan would cost me the same as the residential 500 plan plus the dedicated fax line?

Thanks
jakerobinson
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Whoops, is this the wrong forum?
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you probably should have asked this in the Fax forum, it will probably be moved.

I can see of no reason that a billing plan change would affect fax performance, however something else may have been changed on your account at the same time by coincidence.

First, check out this thread: http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic2230.html

It has some links that may help resolve your issues. Remember to prefix your fax calls with *99.

Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Digital Solutions to Analog Problems Reply with quote Back to top

It seems there is a common thread to all the postings here. Folks are trying to get analog devices (fax, alarm, TIVO, credit card swipe, modem) to work with a digital system.

I think the answer is this: These are actually DIGITAL devices, and the reason why they are having trouble with Vonage sometimes is that you are asking them to take digital data, convert it into analog POTS signals, and then asking Vonage to convert it back to digital again.

I think a better answer is to go all-digital. For each of these "problems" there is a digital on-line solution (or one in the works).

For alarms, the answer is digital alarm monitoring. NextAlarm.com, a client of mine, has a box that will connect your alarm directly to the internet. (BTW, if you are using Brinks or one of those other "high priced" alarm companies, check out the alternatives. My alarm company charges $15 per month for monitoring! You CAN switch!).

For faxes, just dump the old fax machine, its toner, and all the junk faxes you get. Sell it at a garage sale! Try a digital (virtual) fax service. eFax is the most famous and most expensive. But I found MAXEMAIL (www.maxemail.com) to be much cheaper and better. Like $14.99 per YEAR. Heck, fax toner costs more than that! For a good comparison of the "virtual" faxing companies, check out www.faxbeep.com - they have a forum there that compares the different providers. All my faxes come to me as .pdf files, and I can access them anywhere from the website. This is a LOT cooler than paper faxes!

For credit card swipes, consider an on-line credit card merchant account provider like epaysecure: https://epaysecure.transfirst.com/ Not only will it not require a phone line, it will cost hundreds less per month than traditional swipe machines.

For TIVO, I don't have an answer for you - yet. I am sure they can and will develop a TIVO machine that can access the internet as a network appliance - someday soon. Very soon, I am sure, as TV and the internet become one and the same.

Granted, these solutions might not work for everyone in all instances. Some folks may need to keep a POTS landline for some needs - for the time being. For them, Vonage might make a good "line 2".

Voip is not for everyone. I think Vonage will have some troubles by persuing the mainstream market. But if you are willing to re-think how you do things (and save lots of $$$ in the process) it can be a great alternative.

Good Luck!
robertplattbell
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Just send a fax to Spain. It CAN work... Reply with quote Back to top

Vonage does not guarnatee that you can send faxes through your Vonage line. If you want a Fax line (as I understand it) you have to pay extra for a dedicated Vonage "fax" line.

As noted above, I switched to MAXEMAIL for faxes (www.maxemail.com) and am loving it. No more junk faxes, no toner to put in, and about 2 sq. ft. of additional desk space.

Today I had to send a fax to Spain, three pages, and the old fax machine was sitting there looking lonely. On a lark, I thought I would try using it on the Vonage line, just to see what all the fuss is about.

I sent it in fine mode and it went through OK. On other occasions, it has not worked.

Again, this is not a guaranteed feature of a standard Vonage line, but it can work on some occasions.

BTW, my number transfer went through 20 business days to the minute, and the folks at Verizon were even nice about it when I called to cancel the old line (you don't have to, it will cancel itself automatically at midnight).

The first bill went through as well, $30 or so, including taxes and directory assistance. My last Verizon bill was over $130.......

Now, we'll just have to see how much a 2 minute call to Spain costs on Vonage...

So far this service has worked beyond expectations!
craigcul
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Fax problems Reply with quote Back to top

I have the 500 minute plan and my fax has been unable to transmit for at least the last six months, even though it receives fine. I finally called support and they told me to disable ECM and reduce baud rate to 9600, and now it seems to be working. I sent a couple of b/w faxes and one in color (took many minutes), and they all made it through.
This was the problem: When I sent a fax, the receiving machine would answer, but my handshake tone at the other end seemed to be so weak that the receiving machine would not detect it and establish a link (even though voice calls are loud and clear in both directions).
The baud adjustment on my fax (Canon) refers to "starting rate," suggesting that it will start out at the lower speed to establish the link, then try to speed up during the transmission. During the color transmission it displayed "ECM" and "G3," which would indicate that it managed to speed things up during the call.
I guess I should have called tech support earlier, but I am annoyed because when I signed up for the service, I specifically asked if my existing fax would work on the line, and was assured that it would. This was the time I should have been advised what adjustments might be needed. For months I have been using my telco line for outgoing faxes, paying the long distance charges. I thought it was the fax machine's fault, I even bought a new one. We'll see if it keeps working.
I strongly advise Vonage to let new customers know that they may have to make some adjustments to their fax machines for reliable operation. It could save a lot of frustration.