Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Appreciation
Appreciation

Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

international connection
international connection

VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!
VDV21-VD adapter and Vonage service - a winner!

Should have signed up sooner!!!!
Should have signed up sooner!!!!

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
twn2
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject: 4-day Noob getting frustrated... Reply with quote Back to top

Let me start by saying this, I've been running Linux for the past 4 years, so I don't get frustrated easily, but this is kinda getting to me.

I got the Linksys router on Friday, set it up, had tone and made a call within 10 minutes. That was easy, now the hard part is getting it to *work* consistently.

First, here's my setup:

Adelphia Cable > Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable modem > SMC 2804WBRP-G Wireless Router > Linksys RT31P2. Note: prior to Vonage, my network ran flawlessly. (cable: tested on DSLReports: 4.3mb down, 780k up).

Now, I have the SMC setup as a DHCP with all clients as static. I setup the RT31P2 with a static IP of 192.168.2.9 WAN and 192.168.2.7 LAN with DHCP turned off. I have nothing other than the phone connected to the RT31.

Problem:

About 1 of 5 or 6 outbound calls will not go thru. The people on the other side says his phone will ring, but no one will answer. I don't hear it ring at all. All calls within my area code are fine....just long distance calls don't work well. Here's an interesting thing, International calls all work fine too (UK, Germany, France tested).

About 1 of 10 incoming calls result in me not hearing anyone and they cannot hear me. I can call my home (we have 3 lines) and I can call Time without a problem. I seem to have problems calling long distance numbers and they seem to have a problem calling me, except for international calls which are fine. Long distance being anything out of my area code.

Does anyone have any ideas where I might start? I tried opening ports 10001-20000 (I have other uses for 10000) and 5060-5061, but didn't have any luck.

My wife is not very flexible when it comes to stuff like this and I don't have much time left.

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Pepperoni
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: 4-day Noob getting frustrated... Reply with quote Back to top

twn2 wrote:
First, here's my setup:

Adelphia Cable > Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable modem > SMC 2804WBRP-G Wireless Router > Linksys RT31P2.

Tom

Your setup does not allow the voice traffic to receive priority over other traffic.
The recommended setup is as pictured here:
http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledgeBase_article.php?article=61

This setup will allow the higest quality voice and also allow PC traffic. Your PCs will still benefit from the router without compromising the Voip access to the WAN.

Pepperoni
twn2
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 4-day Noob getting frustrated... Reply with quote Back to top

Pepperoni wrote:
twn2 wrote:
First, here's my setup:

Adelphia Cable > Linksys BEFCMU10 Cable modem > SMC 2804WBRP-G Wireless Router > Linksys RT31P2.

Tom

Your setup does not allow the voice traffic to receive priority over other traffic.

This setup will allow the higest quality voice and also allow PC traffic. Your PCs will still benefit from the router without compromising the Voip access to the WAN.

Pepperoni

With all due respect, I don't see where the setup would be the problem. In addition to the setup page you sent me, there's another setup page that shows the TA behind another router.

Also, after I sent this last night I made a lot of calls for test purposes. I noticed that all the 805 area code calls came out fine (pull out the yellow pages and started dialing) and all my international calls came out fine also...every time. US bound calls outside my area code didn't work most of the time. I think the problem is something other than the setup. Plus, my voice quality is better than my landline.

Thanks,
Tom
AspectTec
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My system runs much smoother with the Vonage RT31P2 behind my main WRT54G router. Both my network and voice quality seemed to dramaticially improve when I placed it behind.

Linksys RTP300, Firmware Version: 1.00.55
Download 2,883,752 bps
Upload 245,312 bps
QOS 99%
RTT 58 ms
MaxPause 31 ms
twn2
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Updated survey calls Reply with quote Back to top

Just got through doing some tests. Rather interesting....

40 calls to random 805 area code numbers - 100% connection
30 calls to international numbers - 100% connection
40 calls to various "out of 805 area code" numbers - 1 connection

I called a variety of area codes including L.A., San Diego, SF, Chicago, Miami, NY, Dallas, Seattle. All resulted in no ringing...just dead air. The only connection I made was to my brother in SD which I've tried many times previously. None of the above calls were made twice, just once and I moved on to the next number.

This really doesn't make any sense.

Tom
Pepperoni
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 4-day Noob getting frustrated... Reply with quote Back to top

twn2 wrote:
Pepperoni wrote:
twn2 wrote:
First, here's my setup:

Tom

Pepperoni

With all due respect, I don't see where the setup would be the problem. In addition to the setup page you sent me, there's another setup page that shows the TA behind another router.

Also, after I sent this last night I made a lot of calls for test purposes. I noticed that all the 805 area code calls came out fine (pull out the yellow pages and started dialing) and all my international calls came out fine also...every time. US bound calls outside my area code didn't work most of the time. I think the problem is something other than the setup. Plus, my voice quality is better than my landline.

Thanks,
Tom

You came in here asking for advice. You can deny the efficacy of such advice, but perhaps you should read and compare the written Vonage HELP pages.

The link that I gave you says: "Note: This configuration allows the Phone Adapter to prioritize your voice traffic. The Quality of Service option will ensure high-quality telephone service."

The other page that conforms to your troublesome setup says: "Note: This configuration does not allow the Phone Adapter to prioritize your voice traffic. The Quality of Service option requires the phone adapter to be connected in front of your router."

Vonage seems to agree with my advice. You can deny advice from myself and Vonage if you wish, but your problem persists. Many people *DO* run behind a router with good result, but the hardware and infrastructure works *best* with the modem in front of the router.

Pepperoni
sajer
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Can you get an ethereal trace of the signaling from your network, (maybe by connecting your ATA into a hub with a PC or something similar with a linux server) ? It would be interesting to compare the signaling for a successful call with an unsuccessful one. I wonder if they go through different outbound proxies and in the failure cases the proxy selected is not handling the NAT situation properly
twn2
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

sajer wrote:
Can you get an ethereal trace of the signaling from your network, (maybe by connecting your ATA into a hub with a PC or something similar with a linux server) ? It would be interesting to compare the signaling for a successful call with an unsuccessful one. I wonder if they go through different outbound proxies and in the failure cases the proxy selected is not handling the NAT situation properly

That's an interesting idea! I'm going to see how that would happen....given I don't have an IP for the phone number I'm calling.

Also, let's not forget, 100% of local and international calls go through, while only a handfull of U.S. area code do.

Thanks for the tip!

Tom
Kcross
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Will Try Anything Reply with quote Back to top

I really do believe what your saying about putting the Vonage adapter first. But my problem is I have a Linksys RT31P2.
Do you have any suggestions? Could I put this in front of another Router? Im thinking of buying a D-Link. Ive heard in many forums that connecting a PAP2 to a D-Link router solved all there problems with dropped calls. So im wondering if I made a big mistake by buying a all in one Router. Ive also read that the Linksys routers are junk.
jshope
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Two router setup Reply with quote Back to top

You can use two routers. My Vonage came with the free Linksys router but I already had a D Link wirless, which I need. So, my wireless is only functioning as an access point/switch now. Routing, NAT, DHCP, etc. is turned off.