How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » LNP – Local Number Portability
dconnor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BINNER wrote:
No thoughts? I can't be in the right forum then...lol

BINNER Very Happy

BINNER: This is a hard one. Does that make you feel any better? No.

Please PM your account info, I will up this for you. I never do this, so please do not tell anyone Smile

BINNER
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you... You have PM

BINNER
opm8
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: X-fer from SBC (SoCal) wb completed on 8 days - UNBELIEV Reply with quote Back to top

opm8 wrote:

Is it worthwhile to contact my telco (Qwest, in this case) to see what the holdup is?

Updated Date: Number Transfer Progress History:
March 22, 2005 Awaiting Letter of Authorization
March 23, 2005 Letter of Authorization (LOA) Received
March 23, 2005 Transfer Sent to Carrier

--opm8

In the quotiing my own thread category, my number was ported today, 30 days on the nose from signing up, as promised.

--opm8
linuxgae
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:27 pm    Post subject: LNP and The FCC Reply with quote Back to top

thebeav wrote:
VonTageGal wrote:
We can't control it if a carrier doesn't want to give-back a number. There is no law saying they must. If there is one, please correct me.

Actually I think there is a law:

A little history

Way back in July of 1996, before cell phone ringers sounded more like Top 40 radio,
the FCC issued an order requiring local and cell phone service providers to offer number portability.

The rule forced providers to allow customers to switch carriers without losing their phone numbers.
With regard to wireless carriers, the ruling included only the country's top 100 cities.

The FCC rule addressed an omission in the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which excluded wireless carriers from the portability requirement.

The FCC established a three-year timetable for compliance, with a June 30, 1999, deadline. After a series of extension requests and grants, the compliance deadline eventually slid back to late 2002.

In July of 2002, wireless providers received another 12-month extension — until Nov. 24, 2003.

If it helps here is a link to an FCC doc regarding LNP and Local Service
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Factsheets/portable.html

I wish it gave more specfic information but it certainly implys that Telco participation is not voluntary
VonTageGal
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: TROUBLE Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry ... wasn't notified of replies to this thread for some reason. Yes, that SHOULD work. As long as the account is active and doesn't show as canceled when the carrier goes after the number.

BINNER wrote:
BINNER wrote:
VonTageGal wrote:
The chances of the transfer completing in 17 days are probably 60-40 (60 for not). In order for the transfer to work you must have an active account. If you cancel the account when you move you will lose your number (and the transfer). See if SBC offers a "holding account" or forwarding account where they disconnect the line but keep the account & number alive. Worse case you can keep your Vonage number they gave you. When you move you can still use the Vonage service with the temporary (virtual) number they gave you. Just don't change the address on the old account (let to USPS forward the phone bill to you) until the transfer completes. Also make sure your paperwork is accepted and sent to the carrier. If it isn't the process won't even start.
BINNER wrote:
I just started the process of transferring my landline from SBC CT. I then found this forum. The problem is I am moving in 17 days. What happens if the number isn't transferred by then?

BINNER Sad

Not the reply I wanted:

Do you offer a "holding account" or forwarding account where you disconnect the line but keep the account & number alive until we move to our new home? There will be a small gap inbetween houses.

if you disconnect your service & then reconnect at the new location within 3 months you can keep the same phone number, will it be more that 3 months in between the move ? - SBC on line customer service

BINNER

April 14, 2005 Awaiting Letter of Authorization
April 17, 2005 Letter of Authorization (LOA) Received
April 17, 2005 Transfer Sent to Carrier

Does it sound like this would work?

ME- Is there any other way to keep the phone number alive?

SBC - Unfortunately, for telephone service and attached services to work they must be working at a location. We can delay a transfer of service, meaning the service does not work at an address, for a maximum of 30 days.

Any thoughts?Question Question Question

BINNER Rolling Eyes

[VonTageGal Disclaimer: NOTHING I write here should be considered official Vonage policy or represents Vonage in any way shape or form. It is strictly personal opinion. In fact, I don't even claim to be connected with Vonage in any way whatsoever.]
VonTageGal
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: LNP and The FCC Reply with quote Back to top

That law doesn't seem to apply to Vonage, or ATT Call-Vantage, or Voicewing or other Voip porviders. I see MANY "we won't port to you" repsonses from carriers. ATT Callvantage won't (unless customer FIRST ports from CallVantage to an ATT POTS line). Vonage can't get numbers in Texas from Alltel. I believe this law applies to POTS->POTS & wireless->wireless only. Voip (at the moment) is still uncharted territory.

linuxgae wrote:
thebeav wrote:
VonTageGal wrote:
We can't control it if a carrier doesn't want to give-back a number. There is no law saying they must. If there is one, please correct me.

Actually I think there is a law:

A little history

Way back in July of 1996, before cell phone ringers sounded more like Top 40 radio,
the FCC issued an order requiring local and cell phone service providers to offer number portability.

The rule forced providers to allow customers to switch carriers without losing their phone numbers.
With regard to wireless carriers, the ruling included only the country's top 100 cities.

The FCC rule addressed an omission in the Telecommunications Act of 1996, which excluded wireless carriers from the portability requirement.

The FCC established a three-year timetable for compliance, with a June 30, 1999, deadline. After a series of extension requests and grants, the compliance deadline eventually slid back to late 2002.

In July of 2002, wireless providers received another 12-month extension — until Nov. 24, 2003.

If it helps here is a link to an FCC doc regarding LNP and Local Service
http://www.fcc.gov/Bureaus/Common_Carrier/Factsheets/portable.html

I wish it gave more specfic information but it certainly implys that Telco participation is not voluntary

[VonTageGal Disclaimer: NOTHING I write here should be considered official Vonage policy or represents Vonage in any way shape or form. It is strictly personal opinion. In fact, I don't even claim to be connected with Vonage in any way whatsoever.]
Nephi
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

my old provider was bellsouth. when we got the router from Vonage, i setup forwarding from the bellsouth number to the "virtual number" that Vonage gave us. 24 days after initiating our port, i called Vonage to ask when the port would be completed (because online, Vonage was saying that the port status was "transfer sent to carrier").

Vonage said they wouldnt know anything for another 10 days. they couldnt even give me a status of the port. look, i use to port numbers for a cellular provider, and they SHOULD have been able to AT LEAST given me a status of the port (had the request been sent? what was their reply?). they FCC did state that when porting numbers, requests/responses have to be done in a specific amount of time.

the rep appoligized for the inconvience. i specifically asked, then, "do you guys port your own numbers, or do you go through a third party?" in which he replied, "we are not allowed to say if someone else does this for us; we can only accept responsibility for the delay."

in the world of porting, its an expensive business! it cost alot to train and maintain a port center. the cellular provider i worked for spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $50million just for the call center! this does not include the cost to train everyone, nor the hours of time it took to even get the system off the ground! i was there for "black monday", or when LNP went live, and it was total chaos. imagine being trained for something that had never been done before in the industry! we had no idea what was going to happen.....

to get back on track, MOST providers hired third party companies to port their numbers to make it cheaper for themselves, and i have a feeling that Vonage also does this. the rep on the phone credited me a full month's service for the delay, as i explained that i shouldnt have to pay for two phone lines if my reason for coming to Vonage was to save money.

after this, though, i went over to my bellsouth online account to pay the bill. to my suprise, the website told me that they no longer recognized my number. i called bellsouth, and they told me that my number was ported out three days prior! it was ported out to a company called XO communications. my recolection of this, tells me that Vonage is what is called a type 1 carrier (ie, they buy phone numbers from other providers, and THOSE providers then port their numbers). if this is the case, then Vonage is actually two steps away from the real deal porting center. Vonage (in this area) buys phone numbers from XO communications. XO communications DOES NOT own thier own port center, and "outsouce" it to another company.

long story short, Vonage doesnt know when numbers are actually ported. they get batches of lists of numbers from their carrier throughout the week. my number is PORTED (i had a friend of mine @ my old job check to see if the number has been ported through what is called the SOA), and this went through some 4 days ago. Vonage has no clue that the port is completed.

i am very happy w/vonage as our landline provider. its very inexpensive, and very good quality. when it goes down, its always been my ISP provider that went down, not Vonage. this is a great company to get with, once the port is completed. i believe the porting process, though, is about the worse thing going for this company. its something that they are doing the best they can, but being a Voip company, they are very far away from the actual porting process. good luck all!
VonTageGal
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Nephi wrote:
Vonage was saying that the port status was "transfer sent to carrier").
Correct, but it's Vonage's carrier (Xo in your case), not YOUR carrier.

Nephi wrote:
they FCC did state that when porting numbers, requests/responses have to be done in a specific amount of time.
Correct, except Vonage is not under FCC regs and even for POTS carriers I don't THINK there is a specific amount of time mentioned. Only what it "should take" ......... but even if there was, it wouldn't apply to Vonage or any of the others since (at least Vonage) isn't considered a phone company (yet) which is why it costs what it does. (No fed or state taxes that would apply to the POTS or wireless carriers applies to Vonage)

Nephi wrote:

the rep appoligized for the inconvience. i specifically asked, then, "do you guys port your own numbers, or do you go through a third party?" in which he replied, "we are not allowed to say if someone else does this for us; we can only accept responsibility for the delay."
LOL .... an email was just sent around by management stating that if reps give out the name of the carrier they "could be subject to disciplany procedures."

Nephi wrote:
to get back on track, MOST providers hired third party companies to port their numbers to make it cheaper for themselves, and i have a feeling that Vonage also does this
It's not because they don't want to spend the money it's because they CAN NOT do it because they aren't a "phone company" which is why they aren't regulated which is why the service is so cheap .... I mean inexpensive

Nephi wrote:
my recolection of this, tells me that Vonage is what is called a type 1 carrier (ie, they buy phone numbers from other providers, and THOSE providers then port their numbers).

Vonage is a type 0 carrier ..... Smile they aren't a carrier at all. Vonage is an internet data company and not a phone company of any type.

Nephi wrote:
long story short, Vonage doesnt know when numbers are actually ported. they get batches of lists of numbers from their carrier throughout the week. my number is PORTED (i had a friend of mine @ my old job check to see if the number has been ported through what is called the SOA), and this went through some 4 days ago. Vonage has no clue that the port is completed.
100% absolutely correct (except Xo and the 5 others) actually DO do the porting.

Nephi wrote:
i believe the porting process, though, is about the worse thing going for this company. its something that they are doing the best they can, but being a Voip company, they are very far away from the actual porting process. good luck all!
1000% true!

Todd3576
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Same issue as Binner here but with Sprint as our local provider.

Unfortunately we are moving from our current home to our new home on Thursday, April 28 2005. I put off doing anything as long as I could hoping the transfer would occur before the absolute last day I could terminate. I sat on Vonage hold for hours and finally gave up then tried sending an email to Vonage customer care that has gone unanswered. At least I've found this forum.

Here's the status:

Current Status as of a few minutes ago: Transfer in Process

Updated Date: Number Transfer Progress History:
April 12, 2005 Awaiting Letter of Authorization
April 16, 2005 Letter of Authorization (LOA) Received
April 16, 2005 Transfer Sent to Carrier

I called Sprint to see if they had a process like SBC's where we could lock up our current number for awhile until the LNT process ran it's course and they said yes, we could do that but I had to provide another phone number for forwarding. As I understand it they have preserved or held our current phone number that is in the process of being transferred to Vonage and as of our move out date (Thursday, April 2Cool it will then say "phone number X is out of service, calls are being taken at [insert cell phone here]".

Hopefully that will maintain our number until the LNT process has been completed successfully. I didn't inquire how long Sprint would hold the number but I advised Sprint that our new home would not be ready for 60 to 90 days and the customer service rep didn't indicate that would be a problem.

I'm sure you don't want a bunch of people PMing you dconner but would you mind one more?
BINNER
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dconnor wrote:
BINNER wrote:
No thoughts? I can't be in the right forum then...lol

BINNER Very Happy

BINNER: This is a hard one. Does that make you feel any better? No.

Please PM your account info, I will up this for you. I never do this, so please do not tell anyone Smile

DId you recieve the info needed in my PM?

Thanks again,
BINNER