How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
bill2000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:09 pm    Post subject: If you are have trouble with your vonage make sure of the fo Reply with quote Back to top

yes Vonage will tell you the router you have will work and will go out of thier way to may it work. They suggest you go with thier router and let me tell you; They should make you aware of the Problems if you stay with you linksys. if you Optimum upload tests is in the 550 plus upload and 2500-5000 download in the speed test.

I had a world of problems, I had a linksys and had to constantly set the UDP
I was ready to Quit Vonage! My modem was 5 years old and it was the old white 3com Modems. MAKE SURE you have a new Black Moterola cable modem and NetGear RP614 Router in 50$ the sell it to for $40 also recomend it*(for a reason)* Optimum will replay your modem for free and also have been to that the shark fin modem will give you problems.

Just do this right away if you have problems like you go mute or loose the call. I spent over 3 months wasting time and loosing calls. Voip is the future just get the current items and you will not have to explain that you are on an internet phone. Now people think I am on a Land line. If you go Vonage do it right, they have good service and are helpfull how ever. They should ask you first how old is your cable modem and if it is a fin or older just go to Optonline and the will give you a new one. Go with recomended Vontage products. Optimum is selling Voip now and still Vonage has a better deal and better customer service.

They give you a 2week free trial so just get the new cable modem and go with the netgear and set your voice bandwith to 90 KBS and it work great!

PS
No spell check so I know thier is typos and know I spell bad so don`t tell me.
chuck glenayre

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:38 am    Post subject: Motorola SB5100, RP 614 and ATA 186 Reply with quote Back to top

I have SB5100 on Comcast with RP614 between the cable modem and ATA 186. The ATA may work 2 days or 2 hours and then, bang, it goes down without warning. No dial tone or no inbound calls. I can reboot the ATA and we are back up and running.

Has anyone had this and if so, how did you fix it?
colavito

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: same problem Reply with quote Back to top

I get the same thing...I have tried numerous router port settings but the main thing is unless i reset all my equipment phone is down.

It will work for a few days then poof gone until i reset everything.

Ron
nonstop

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: help Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds like config issues. I copied this from another forum, I think it will help!

After reading these forums for awhile I thought I would add simple instructions for how to setup Vonage thru any router.
This setup a**umes that you have a home network with 2 computers and Vonage!
The info below applies to most routers although I am sure there are some that this setup will not work with.

The first thing to look at is to make sure your router is setup for DHCP. Log onto your router setup page and make sure this is enabled.The DHCP server has a lease time which is available. Look on the DHCP area of your router setup page for this it will say client lease time or something similar.
Set the lease time of the DHCP server to its max which is 34463 approx 23 days. What happens when you do this is the DHCP server will a**ign ip addresses for your network when this time expires.BY setting this to the max time this will only occur every 23 days or so thus not interupting your Vonage service!
On the same page in your router setup you should see an area that says number of DHCP users. This is IMPORTANT.... set this number to the total number of devices hooked up to your router in your network. In my setup that is 3 , my desktop computer, my wireless WiFi, and Vonage.
By doing this you are telling the router should it rea**ign an new IP address in your network to a**ign 3 IP addresses. If you don't do this then you will have to reboot the Vonage Motorola or Cisco box every time there is an interuption such as a power failure or when the lease time for the DHCP server is up!

THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!!!!!
If your router provides it look in your router setup page for port forwarding! If you see a tab that says port triggering use it instead of port forwading. The difference between the two is that the port triggering will a**ign the device that triggers the ports you select to pa** through.
This means that even if you have a power failure you should never have to reboot the Vonage box again because if your router selects a new network IP then the port triggering will still allow Vonage to work without having to reset the IP in the port forwarding box.

To recap if you have port triggering available use it instead of port fowarding.

I know its been posted before but for convenience here are the ports for port triggering.

5060-5063
10000-20000

Make sure the above ports are enabled for both incomming and outgoing.

Once you get everything setup in your router then do the reboot as suggested by Vonage. Make sure your Vonage box is hooked into your router as though it were another computer.

For my setup I am using a Linksys BEFW11s4 Router.

I have tried a simulated power failure by turning the power off. When the power was turned back on everything worked without having to do a thing!

I hope this helps some of you that have been having problems with Vonage and your router!!
doctorgonzo
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have the RP614v2 sold by Vonage between my Motorola adapter and a Toshiba cable modem. To get it to work all I had to do was disable stateful packet inspection (SPI). No fiddling around with port forwarding or anything. I have not had the terminal go down once. Twice so far the router has somehow lost connection to the 'net, but after power cycling the router all was well again.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: RP614 is junk Reply with quote Back to top

The RP614 is NOT a good router, unless you are a VERY basic user. I've been using one for sometime, and it requires constant hard resets. I am a power user, and do lots of stuff regular users do, which might contribute to the problem. Specifically I find that VPN connections fail, and I have Internet drop outs periodically where my local devices still get an IP and can ping the router, but can not get 'out'. (It's not related to my cable modem or ISP - when connected directly to the cable modem the service is perfect).

Netgear's support is also TERRIBLE.

You get what you pay for. The Netgear RP614 is worth about $15. If you can find one for that, ok, but otherwise spend more and buy a different router, or at least one from another manfuacturer.
big_bob
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The RP614 is NOT a good router, unless you are a VERY basic user. I've been using one for sometime, and it requires constant hard resets.

Are you using the RP614 or the RP614v2? I am using the RP614v2 and found that it works pretty well. I did have to do several hard resets in the first weeks that I used it, but it has been very stable for the last few weeks.

I did make one change that may or may not have made the difference. I don't know for sure because I don't have enough knowledge of signal transmission and amplification to be sure. The change I made is this: I hooked an amplified TV splitter into the line that runs to my cable modem.

I made this change due to a combination of two pieces of information. The first piece of info is that the cable installation technician had a hard time getting my cable modem to work properly because the signal was too weak. He eventually tried some different things that got it working OK, but it still wasn't great. The second piece of information is something I got from NetGears' web site. In the FAQ for my router they mentioned that if the modem has to renegotiate the lease on the IP address too often, the router may have difficulties with DHCP.

My theory is that by amplifying the signal, my modem does not have to renegotiate the lease as often and therefore my router is able to stay connected to the world. I may be way off on my theory - like I said, I don't know enough to be sure - but it sounds good to me! Wink

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Router issues Reply with quote Back to top

It took me 6 months of calling, Emailing, posting in the forum and harrassing TIme Warner Cable to send me different cable modems before I finally to get my Vonage line working decently. However, the lag time/latency during calls issue was still present. It wasn't until I started using a bandwidth limiter app to cap my uploads that I experienced landline-like service.
Now, that still didn't resolve the other problem where periodically, my Vonage line would go down for either minutes, hours or sometimes a whole day.
After much trouble shooting, a tech discovered that it was the old, square blue Netgear router Vonage sold me that was at fault.

So the rep talks me into having them ship me a replacement router, which they bill me for. (Gee thanks.. You sell us lemons, yet we have to shoulder the cost to fix your screw up? Why don't you just go all the way ans start issuing RMA numebrs and make us pay for shipping? liek crappy hard drive manufacturers?)
The rep tells me that he will make sure they include free return shipping lables with the replacement router so I can send the old blue router back to them at no charge, which upon their receipt of it, they would credit my card for the router and shipping fees 100%.

I forgot this is Vonage we're talking about here...
Well, they shipped me the new router alright, but without the shipping labels (of course!).
And to make matters worse, now the new silver round-edged Netgear router created an entirely NEW problem.
Everyday, without fail, my entire network dies. I have to reboot the router to get back online. I can't tell you how many file transfers have been killed this way. Sometimes I have to reboot the router twice in one day.

I dunno what was worse - sporadic, unresolvable lack of connectivity, or regular daily bouts of resolvable lack of connectivity.

It seems that if it's not one thing, it's another..

Now I have to contact Vonage and see how many supervisors they'll have to escalate it to just for someone to mail me the shipping labels they promised me in the first place, so I can send them back the thoroughly defective router, and then begin the troubleshooting process for the semi-defective route.

Dont'cha just love technology?...