Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
Robertsax Posted:
Three Most Common
Types Of Sleep
ApneaObstructive
get to sleep apnea
is because
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Miami Heat Women''s Jersey
On Sep 14, 2017 at 04:05:50

mikebrown Posted:
Hello, I think
you should consult
it with the Expert
they can surely
help you
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Hardwiring in a Rental House
On Jun 24, 2017 at 09:15:34

Haniltery Posted:
For wipe call
history also some
of the offline, in
gengral , it
usually apply to
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
How to Delete call history from online account?
On May 09, 2017 at 06:14:26

diana87 Posted:
You have to use
VPN service to
bypass
Geo-restrictions
and get free
access while
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Recent calling problem from Egypt
On May 02, 2017 at 17:28:06

dconnor Posted:
What is the main
number on the
account? And
which one is the
virtual number?
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 18:52:02

Trafford Posted:
Seems like a
simple
question. We
rely exclusively
on a Vonage system
for our
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42:50

diazou Posted:
Hello, It's
compatible with
Android your phone
software
? Thanks!
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Mar 28, 2017 at 12:42:33

jeddaisg Posted:
Hi all We have
a Vonage VOIP
system for our
office. Lately,
our call quality
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Ethernet Cable; Wiring schematic? 568-B?
On Feb 23, 2017 at 18:33:52

beast321 Posted:
I don't know if
you heard, that
many more
Dreamcast games
are opened up
recently.
...

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Using phone as a dial up modem for Dreamcast Gaming
On Feb 16, 2017 at 03:16:51

Av8rix Posted:
Sorry to start a
new thread on an
old topic but when
I google “Vonage
MAC address
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
New adapter and router -- MAC change
On Jan 11, 2017 at 01:07:21


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Expands International Presence with Investments in Asia Pacific Region

Vonage to Present at the Oppenheimer 20th Annual Technology, Internet & Communications Conference

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months



Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!
Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!



Great Price, No Complaints
Great Price, No Complaints



You need some common sense.
You need some common sense.



Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...
Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
Zaxor
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: VOIP, Asterisk & LAN setup Reply with quote Back to top

You probably get a lot of these threads, but please bear with me.

Currently my two roommates and I have 6.0/768 DSL from SpeakEasy. Their service is great, and we've never had a problem. We have 4 static IPs from them, and the way our apartment LAN is currently configured is as follows:

DSL modem hooks into 4 port switch. Each of our main computers is assigned one of the static IPs and is connected to this switch. The fourth port and static IP goes to another 4-port switch, with integrated WAP. This WAP operates DHCP for the remaining computers in our apartment, including any laptops on WiFi.

I'm interested in getting Voip, and I'd really like to run Asterisk on a spare Mac that we have sitting around. The Mac is connected to the internet via the WAP/switch and has its IP assigned by DHCP.

Ultimately we'd like all the PCs in the apartment to have access through Asterisk using softphones.

SO... what would be the best way to integrate the Voip hardware into this setup? As far as I understand, in order to prioritize voice traffic we'd have to put the Voip router in between the DSL modem and the primary switch. Could we do this and still run Asterisk on the Mac, or would we have to put the Voip box between the WAP and the Mac to do that, or between the primary switch and the WAP?

Thanks for the help! Smile
View user's profile Send private message
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you are going to use Asterix with Vonage you have two choices. You can configure Asterix as a Vonage SoftPhone and pay the optional softphone charge and have limited minutes or you can connect a phone line from your Vonage adapter to the computer running Asterix adding an additional conversion to analog and then back to digital.

From your description I would assume your wireless switch is using NAT. As long as you can port forward to the asterix mac you should be able to connect softphones on the statically addressed PCs to the asterix machine.

I believe with the proper network settings you could place the adapter anywhere in your network, but between the DSL modem and the first switch is preferred. The location of the adapter is unimportant with respect to the location of your Asterix server because they will be communicating by analog phone line and not by IP.

If you are using the softphone option, you will probably need to do some port forwarding on the wireless switch to allow Asterix to register with Vonage. I would suggest that you would be better off moving Asterix to a static IP in this case because you are going to be pushing the Voice traffic through your wireless switch twice.

edit: having thought about how asterix might work, it may in fact SIP forward your call to your individual IP phone. If that is the case it would not push the voice traffic through twice.

_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)

Last edited by scerruti on Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
tommy13v
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: Dec 20, 2004
Posts: 230
Location: upstate NY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I currently am using Asterisk on a linux box with a x100P modem from Digium. We have multiple softphones and IP phones around the house and throughout the town with friends and family. I can call my sister by dialing an extension and get directly through to her.

I connect my Vonage ATA into the x100P card from Digium and from there my IP phones connect out through my asterisk server to the Vonage ATA phone landline calls.

It would be nice to not have to use the Vonage ATA and go direct as with the SIP account but of course they only give you 500 minutes of outgoing calls and I do much more than that.

Take a look at Asterisk@home http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/

_________________
ISP: Road Runner 5Mb/s down 384k up
Linux Firewall --->RT31P2 ---> Asterisk PBX
Vonage Custom Since December '04
www.baldwintechsolutions.com
Record your Vonage Calls.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Zaxor
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
If you are going to use Asterix with Vonage you have two choices. You can configure Asterix as a Vonage SoftPhone and pay the optional softphone charge and have limited minutes or you can connect a phone line from your Vonage adapter to the computer running Asterix adding an additional conversion to analog and then back to digital.

From your description I would assume your wireless switch is using NAT. As long as you can port forward to the asterix mac you should be able to connect softphones on the statically addressed PCs to the asterix machine.

I believe with the proper network settings you could place the adapter anywhere in your network, but between the DSL modem and the first switch is preferred. The location of the adapter is unimportant with respect to the location of your Asterix server because they will be communicating by analog phone line and not by IP.

If you are using the softphone option, you will probably need to do some port forwarding on the wireless switch to allow Asterix to register with Vonage. I would suggest that you would be better off moving Asterix to a static IP in this case because you are going to be pushing the Voice traffic through your wireless switch twice.


Thanks for the suggestions.

So for the first option, would there noticably higher latency or any other problems from converting from analog to digital and back more than absolutely necessary? And so there is an additional charge for using a softphone instead of an analog phone?

Also, I don't think we'd sacrifice one of our statics for the asterisk server, so it will have to be on DHCP. However, the Mac is wired into the WAP/switch, not connected wirelessly.
View user's profile Send private message
Zaxor
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

tommy13v wrote:
I currently am using Asterisk on a linux box with a x100P modem from Digium. We have multiple softphones and IP phones around the house and throughout the town with friends and family. I can call my sister by dialing an extension and get directly through to her.

I connect my Vonage ATA into the x100P card from Digium and from there my IP phones connect out through my asterisk server to the Vonage ATA phone landline calls.

It would be nice to not have to use the Vonage ATA and go direct as with the SIP account but of course they only give you 500 minutes of outgoing calls and I do much more than that.

Take a look at Asterisk@home http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/


Thanks to you too Smile

I looked at Asterisk@home, but we don't have a spare server to fully format and install on. The Mac OS X box is the only available machine we can use for it.

I'm not up on all the Voip terms are yet, what is the Vonage ATA? And let me get this straight, you set your system up similar to what was suggested above: DSL -> Voip router -> *analog line* -> Digium modem -> Asterisk server?
View user's profile Send private message
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SoftPhone is an extra $10/month for 500 minutes. You can only buy this as an option on a regular Vonage line.

Tommy 13v can answer any latency questions better than I could.

Digium's x100P is listed as discontinued (although there are more than a few listed on eBay), in addition it is a PCI card and I am not sure that Mac OS drivers are available for it.

Can you run PPCLinux on the Mac?

I don't think that running the Asterix server behind NAT is going to cause you anything more than some port forwarding headaches, but that would be better addressed in an Asterix list.

Ask Tommy 13v if he needs a STUN server or anything fancy like that.

_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zaxor
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
SoftPhone is an extra $10/month for 500 minutes. You can only buy this as an option on a regular Vonage line.

Tommy 13v can answer any latency questions better than I could.

Digium's x100P is listed as discontinued (although there are more than a few listed on eBay), in addition it is a PCI card and I am not sure that Mac OS drivers are available for it.

Can you run PPCLinux on the Mac?

I don't think that running the Asterix server behind NAT is going to cause you anything more than some port forwarding headaches, but that would be better addressed in an Asterix list.

Ask Tommy 13v if he needs a STUN server or anything fancy like that.


The mac has a modem, although the Digium is recommended. I'm pretty sure I could use PPCLinux with the appropriate drivers if need be, however Asterisk runs fine under OS X and I'd prefer to keep it that way if possible. Even with the extra charge for softphones I think this would still be cheaper than my current POTS.
View user's profile Send private message
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The x100p isn't a standard modem. Technically it is a FXO. It is a special device that allows Asterix to use a phone line in the same way a PBX does.

http://www.digium.com/index.php?menu=fxsvfxo


_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Posts: 1424
Location: Carlsbad, CA (finally)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Zaxor wrote:
Even with the extra charge for softphones I think this would still be cheaper than my current POTS.


For most people the $10 cost isn't the issue. It is the limited number of minutes. After all, if you go with the limited plan and a softphone you are paying the same as an unlimited plan.

_________________
Stephen P. Cerruti (ISP: TWC)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Zaxor
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Mar 15, 2005
Posts: 8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
Zaxor wrote:
Even with the extra charge for softphones I think this would still be cheaper than my current POTS.


For most people the $10 cost isn't the issue. It is the limited number of minutes. After all, if you go with the limited plan and a softphone you are paying the same as an unlimited plan.


I was just glancing at the Vonage softphone page (http://vonage.com/features.php?feature=softphone) and now I'm wondering, is the $10 for specifically their program? That is, could I just use the regular Vonage plan with a free third party softphone such as x-lite?
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New patsykf3
New Today 0
Yesterday 0
Total 101029

Who Is On Site
Visitors 1
Members 0
Total 1


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value:
Change:   
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 2.01 Seconds and Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum