How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage V-Phone & SoftPhone
plyons
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I find this funny... you guys must have spent too much time in engineering class and not enough in economics.

It's not offered free because they don't have to. You are all Vonage customers despite the fact that they don't offer this service. And, at present, I'm not aware of any other provider that offers a free softphone for any plan as cheap as Vonage's.

Why SHOULD they offer it? Well.. if demand were such, I guess they would.
VOIPshopping
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just to clarify, I am not a Vonage customer. But, I am considering it.

There is demand. How much? I don't know.

Why SHOULD they offer it?

Why shouldn't they offer it? Vonage wouldn't have to sell equipment in stores or online for all their customers. Vonage didn't even develop the softphone software. (you can download it for free) The benefit is they would have no inventory, production or shipping overhead for these customers. Nevermind about having to replace defective units still covered by warranty for these type of customers. All they would have to do is provide infrastructure for this segment of customers.

After more research, I found there are at least 4 other providers with exactly the same price point or for slightly less that offers the same services as Vonage under the same terms. With this information, is it a good business decision not to offer unlimited softphone usage, or something significant, as part of the core unlimited residential package when the only thing, superficially, that separates you from your competition is advertising? I obviously would like that "something" to be unlimited softphone usage as part of the core unlimited residential plan.

I think the economic standpoint was discussed above at least twice, three times with your observation. If you don't want or need the service I am not sure why you would bother to post. It wouldn't impact you negatively if it was added as part of the service.

I guess I find that funny.
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone tried sniffing the SIP information that the ATA sends out to Vonage, and plugging that into a softphone? Or does the ATA have some sort of secret authentication that a softphone doesn't?
peterwemm
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unfortunately, the login process is fairly secure, and the information (username/password) is locked away inside the device settings. It is probably obtainable by removing the flash prom from the device and decoding it, but that is a lot of work and rather impractical.

A man-in-the-middle proxy attack might get somewhere with eliminating the analog leg, but remember the goal is to improve reliability and quality, not add another point of failure.

Anyway, this is all very frustrating. It shouldn't have to be this hard to improve the voice quality by eliminating a 12 inch leg of copper and an unneeded A->D and D->A conversion phase. All we need to do is to be able to use a softphone (or other sip system) instead of the ATA. Its not about extra services for free but rather making better, more reliable, more efficient use of the already provided service.

Anyway, I got some numbers from another Voip provider that is willing to work with BYOD (bring your own device, including IP phones, your own ATA etc) or even IP PBX's, to see how it worked. It turns out I like the phone numbers they gave me better than the one we ported to Vonage, and the call quality is better (no extra digital->analog->digital redundant step).

Oh well, I guess I've got something to think about now.

jcmallery
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Err, what about [ADMIN EDIT] ? They don't care what you use or how much of it and they support open configuration for those that want their own setup.

You would think that Vonage would match BroadVoice at least with respect to the softphone.

Plus, on the mac, the Vonage softphone steps on IChat AV by using the same ports, and your only option is to download Xten's X-Lite and configure it yourself when you hear duh from customer support. For a solution, see: http://vonage.xten.net/viewtopic.php?t=180&highlight=configuration

All of this adds up to lower customer satisfaction when it comes to Vonage SoftPhones. (The hardware-based Vonage service is really impecable, except they don't support the cool ATAs like the Sipura 3000!)

Wouldn't it just be better to have a bunch of happy customers?
dconnor
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: jcmallery Reply with quote Back to top

Please no linking to other Voip companies, we do not allow it.

Thank you

peterwemm
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Regarding broadvoice.. (Hey, I didn't mention them first...) I haven't had anything to do with them. I've been reluctant to go near them because (until recently) their customer service reputation was even worse than Vonage's. Plus they only support(ed) in-band DTMF signalling so you've got potential problems with compression destroying DTMF tones.

Plus, broadvoice are sip-only. I wanted bare-bones termination, preferably IAX2 instead of SIP. The lure of an IAX2 client connection for my Asterisk box was too great. So I went elsewhere with somebody that has a zero monthly fee, free incoming calls and a small flat-rate outgoing call cost. No frills, no voicemail, no nothing, which is exactly what I wanted. And they allow 4 concurrent inbound calls, and 4 concurrent outbound calls at the same time. No LNP for this service though.

But yes, I sincerely hope that Vonage is paying attention to broadvoice's BYOD plans. I would be estatic if Vonage would match the service model, and that would be enough to stop me thinking about switching. The new numbers that I was given are nicer, but not changing anything is better.

The way I have things configured now, I have my dialplans and forwarding set up so that the first incoming and first outgoing calls go over the analog Vonage connection, the 2nd through 5th go via the IAX2 connection.

Anyway, I wish Vonage would just let people unplug the ATA and use another method instead. - be it an IP phone, a softphone or whatever - on an 'unsupported, you're on your own' basis. They already have concurrency controls and the infrastructure to do it. It wouldn't cost them anything more and they'd have happier customers as a result.

ehansen
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great arguments folks,

This is now the time that Vonage needs to offer a package that can be used on any softphone or a pbx box such as the new Epygi product line.

The Business Plus package from Vonage works great for larger companies with 12,000 and above minutes usage.

What Vonage is missing is a package where the registration information is given and can be programmed in to these new units.

The price would be higher because it would be supporting more phone lines, etc. but would be much lower than the $299.00 price point.

If Vonage does not do it, others are already doing it and will surpass Vonage quickly.

I would contend that many of the 500,000 users of Vonage have outgrown the 1 line 2 line ata systems that they are on right now and are ready for the jump to the next level. 2 lines, full pbx, small office kind of service.

Vonage has the capability and just needs to get the package available. How about this..$69.95 2 phone numbers supports simultaneous calls and comes with 3000 minutes. There I said it. Give me the registration information for this package and let me load it on a softphone, IP Sip phone, Epygi box, whatever.

I will be the first to sign up.... Very Happy

Eric
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

peterwemm wrote:
Unfortunately, the login process is fairly secure, and the information (username/password) is locked away inside the device settings. It is probably obtainable by removing the flash prom from the device and decoding it, but that is a lot of work and rather impractical.

A few months ago, I plugged my cable modem, RT31P2, and a PC into a hub, and placed a phone call. On the PC, Ethereal sniffed and identified what appeared to be a SIP handshake. I could see some account info, but I'm not familiar enough with SIP to know whether that info could be used in a softphone directly. If Vonage uses some sort of challenge-response login, then most hope is lost. Otherwise, who knows...
paul248
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hm... I managed to pull out this SIP address:

sip:1248#######@atlas8.atlas.vonage.net:5061
[the #'s are my phone number]

And there's an interesting User Agent string:
############ Linksys/RT31P2-2.0.13(LIb)
[the #'s match my WAN MAC address]

However, there seems to be a password needed also, and it's sent as an MD5 hash, so I can't determine what it is. I tried using my normal Vonage password, but that doesn't work, so there must be something hidden in the RT31P2 that we're not supposed to know about.