Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
tplink Posted:
Im trying to add
my HT802 vonage
adapter to my home
network. I
currently have
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Vonage behind switch
On Dec 05, 2016 at 06:35:11

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Author Message
ToddlerTN
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Posts: 482
Location: Nashville, TN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

AirJunky wrote:
The reason people might not want it is because it's more govt intervention in our lives. Part of the reason many of us left POTS was to get away from the taxes.

Ditto, count me in that camp. The taxes and access fees on my BellSouth line were $24.68 and that's not including any actual phone service charges.
AirJunky wrote:
It's difficult to get 911 to with with Voip because of the router's position. One day it might be at your house & the next day it's at your hotel room. Which 911 operator do they connect you with? Sounds like it'll have to be based on the IP address but those details are things they are working out. In the meantime, we have to be held accountable for updating the 911 record ourselves..... even in Houston.

Well the responsibility for updating my address is obviously mine. I'd bet that most people are like me and don't plan on travelling with the Vonage router, or if I do, I'll be in a hotel or condo where there's already a landline. I'm not hung up on having a device that magically detect my physical address. All I want is a way to maintain my own address information and know that information will be passed along to a regular 911 operator on the 911 emergency queue and that they will receive the address I've entered in an automated fashion.

I liken it to DNS. I can update the record on my server, and then the rest of the world can lookup my new address. This isn't rocket science. The biggest hurdle is that current e911 services are controlled by the baby Bells, which do not have to provide access to unregulated providers and are not doing so simply to protect their own interests at the public expense. So once again it comes back to business being self-interested, and the government has to step in to make everyone play nice together.
AirJunky wrote:
I don't necessarily agree with it, but I'm not so blinded by my own viewpoint that I can't see theirs either.

Thanks, AirJunky. I think there's room for debate and more than one position in the discussion.
View user's profile Send private message
ToddlerTN
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Posts: 482
Location: Nashville, TN

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
ToddlerTN wrote:
However, if a new auto manufacturer decided not to put seat belts in their cars altogether, or stated in the car's owner's manual that seat belts aren't provided with the vehicle unless and until you specifically go through a special sign-up process to obtain them--and even then the seat belts provided aren't as functional or safe as traditional seat belts--intelligent people who want the option to protect themselves would rightly be concerned, and the government would never approve that car for sale to the public.


At first I thought this analogy was not valid in this situation, however as I wrote this post I realized it was perfectly analogous, just not for the reason you think it is. Seat belts are not required in cars to protect you in the event of an accident. They are to reduce the public's liability if you are hit and injured. Example: In Florida if you choose to ride a motorcycle without a helmet you must purchase insurance or post a bond to cover the difference in damages done when someone injures you versus the damages if you were wearing a helmet.

However, if we extend this argument, if I injure someone in their home, and their damages are greater because of their inability to access emergency services delayed care. Should I be held liable for the increased cost because they did not want to pay for E911 services?

Are we going to follow Florida's example and make people buy health and fire insurance or post bonds if they decline E911 so as not to increase the burden on the public health care system?

A better question to ask is what if a visitor to your home is injured and needs 911, and you chose not to pay for it? Or what if your health insurance provider charged you a higher premium for coverage due to the increased risk factor because you chose not to pay $2 for 911.

Like the motorcycle helmet law, maybe the government should make you purchase liability insurance if you decline to carry 911.
View user's profile Send private message
Martlet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Feb 13, 2005
Posts: 206
Location: Boston

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

iskyfly wrote:
Martlet wrote:
iskyfly wrote:
Quote:
So?

what does that mean exactly? does that mean you disagree?


Yes. Didn't you read anything past those first 3 characters?


of course i did, but it didnt answer my question.

do you disagree that 911 is not only for you?


Yes, I disagree.
View user's profile Send private message ICQ Number
Trek234
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

reebok wrote:
think about it for a minute, what about the people who disconnected at the nid and don't have a cell phone? sweet fancy moses, arrest them for that crime against humanity. not to mention people who don't have phones at all. good gosh I better not go outside any more lest I be near someone without 911 service.
911 can be used for others, but my phone is not "for" them, and no one should expect anyone else to have it, or to be able to use it when they need it.
anyway, we obviously disagree, and since Vonage has a form of 911 access, it's really a moot point besides those who don't read or pay attention to what they sign up for.


I have a feeling you don't have kids....
View user's profile Send private message
Trek234
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
Disturbed wrote:
Voip should play by the same rules. 911 has to do with public safety, not government intervention. Telephones are expected to have such functionality.


If it is the case that this is a "public safety issue" then 911 should be paid for from the general fund and not charged per telephone line. As it stands it is a government mandated feature because governments were regulating telecommunication companies as monopolies.


So it's about money. That's nice, but I don't put a price of my families safety. 911 service with SBC around here costs $1.50. Not exactly breaking the bank.

And what does it matter if it's a "general" fund or not? Let's say you get taxed $1.50 more as opposed to getting it directly taken as a 911 fee - either way you're coming out the same.

Besides - do you know your taxes are already paying for fire/police/emergency infrastructure? You're actually getting ripped off because you don't have access to the services you're paying (a LOT) for.
View user's profile Send private message
AirJunky
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jun 17, 2004
Posts: 70

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ToddlerTN wrote:
Well the responsibility for updating my address is obviously mine. I'd bet that most people are like me and don't plan on travelling with the Vonage router, or if I do, I'll be in a hotel or condo where there's already a landline. I'm not hung up on having a device that magically detect my physical address. All I want is a way to maintain my own address information and know that information will be passed along to a regular 911 operator on the 911 emergency queue and that they will receive the address I've entered in an automated fashion.


But the failure point is that if they build the new E911 system around you & your needs, then they screw the odd person who happens to travel with their router, pick up that phone instead of the hotel phone & call 911. Now the police show up at this person's home instead of where the emergency is located. Even better screwup than the 911 screwups we have already!

In my case, I signed on with Vonage & then moved twice before I bought a house. In the day or two between moves where I had not yet updated my 911 info, had someone had an emergency & called 911 & were automatically sent to my old address instead of the new one....... yet another loophole for those that don't fit the ToddlerTN mold.

Give'em time.... it'll work out. Look at how far it's come already!
View user's profile Send private message
iskyfly
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Feb 21, 2005
Posts: 40

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Martlet wrote:
iskyfly wrote:


do you disagree that 911 is not only for you?


Yes, I disagree.


so you dont think a scenario where somebody other than you or the people living in your house would need to call 911 on your phone could happen? really?
View user's profile Send private message
Trek234
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

egeller624 wrote:
Quote:
Even if you argue that you are responsible for yourself, you are also responsible for others. In a nation where McDonalds gets sued for hot coffee and robbers have successfully sued homeowners for tripping on broken sprinkler heads or getting locked in garages, as ridiculous as it may sound, I can envision a guest in a Vonage household who wasn't able to reach 911 deciding to sue the homeowner.


And what if I were visiting a home that didn't have a home phone at all, only a cell... and for whatever reason the reception wasn't good enough to get an emergency call through, would I sue the person I was visiting? Would I sue the cell phone carrier? Of course not. But then I'm not one to sue McDonald's for hot coffee lol.


I wish people would actually read the decision of a court instead of the 10 second news summary.

McDonalds was ruled against in that case NOT because they had "hot coffee", but because they had been TOLD before that their coffee was too hot, needed to be cooler, and had resulted in injuries before, yet they did nothing. The person who was burned had 3rd degree burns to the genital area.

If they had addressed the issue when it was brought to their attention multiple times before and had lowered the temperature as they were instructed they wouldn't have been successfully sued.
View user's profile Send private message
Trek234
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

rebus wrote:
iskyfly wrote:
Having 911 service available to you isnt just for you.
It is for anyone that comes near your property. (guests, neighbors, delivery people, garbage collector, etc etc). You put people other than yourself at risk by not having 911 service.


When was the Constitution amended to read "..endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and access to 911 service"?


Actually that was the declaration of independence....
View user's profile Send private message
Trek234
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member


Joined: Jan 30, 2005
Posts: 68

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ToddlerTN wrote:
Danno_CFR wrote:
If 911 is something we must have for others to use "just in case" then put public 911 phones on every block. Its the same thinking as putting up a "beware of dog" sign on my gate to warn those that hop my fence and cut through my yard. Even then, if they get bit Ill get sued. I have 911 active and we also have cell fones "just in case". People need to take responsibility for themselves and stop blaming others. No hostility intended to anyone. Its up to me, not Vonage or the government.


If you're going to get upset about "rights" being taken away, then get mad at the Supreme Court. Just yesterday they overturned 200+ years of jurisprudence and ruled that suddenly now capital punishment for juvenile offenders is unconstitutional. Do you know what they based that decision on? Two unratified international treaties. Someone tell me how unratified international treaties have anything to do with the US Constitution. Five justices yesterday conspired to subvert America's sovereignty and subjugate our entire system of representative government to some unelected, unaccountable international suggestion box. That's almost treasonous, in my opinion.


Actually if you bothered to read the ruling (I know, that's too much to ask of people) they ruled as they did due to the constitutions prohibition on "cruel and unusual punishment".
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New leomt16
New Today 2
Yesterday 10
Total 99059

Who Is On Site
Visitors 94
Members 0
Total 94


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Last Trade:
Change:
As of:

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 9.55 Seconds and 475 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum