On Oct 05, 2014 at 15:28:26

eltonlight Posted:
Is this supported
by Iphone6? I am
just curious.

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Use with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?
On Sep 24, 2014 at 05:06:04

Jesse641 Posted:
Hi, I have Skype
installed on PC,
but I use it
mainly to talk for
free. Otherwise

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Click to call iPhone App
On Sep 06, 2014 at 13:27:05

UncleDuck Posted:
The quality of
voicemail has
deteriorated to
the point that it
requires listening

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Quality and Playback Issues
On Aug 19, 2014 at 17:20:01

Snack Posted:
On a wired
connection, just
connect the Vonage
to the ethernet
port of the hotel

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Using Vonage in a hotel
On Aug 06, 2014 at 19:22:31

Bill18164 Posted:
In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Problem
On Jul 24, 2014 at 22:15:20

justwarner Posted:
In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jul 24, 2014 at 07:44:54

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
BigDeal
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Canceling Vonage, for now Reply with quote Back to top

I was eager to give Vonage a try, now that lots of places are offering full rebates on the hardware purchases. I am currently a Time Warner Digital Phone customer, and I was looking forward to paying $25.00 per month for more services and features than Time Warner is giving me for $45 / month.

I purchased a Linksys PAP2 adapter at Staples, brought it home, and completed the retail activation. I had dial tone in less than 5 minutes! I was very impressed with the calling features, and the Vonage dashboard is really nifty. I was really rooting for this to work.

So why cancel? In a nutshell, inconsistent call quality. When Vonage is good, it is VERY good - certainly on a par with Time Warner Digital Phone. However, under many circumstances I would get dropouts, hiss, and lots of "lag" that made conversations difficult, even when I wasn't using my internet connection. Testing with PingPlotter, TestYourVOIP, and this forum's Voip speed tests showed very good results, yet call quality was very inconsistent.

When I called to cancel, the person asked if I had talked to Vonage tech support - which I have not. Realistically, is there anything they could have done in this situation?

I may try again in another 6 months or so. In the meantime, I'm awaiting a call back from someone who can complete the cancellation of my account. Sad
Martlet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Canceling Vonage, for now Reply with quote Back to top

BigDeal wrote:
I was eager to give Vonage a try, now that lots of places are offering full rebates on the hardware purchases. I am currently a Time Warner Digital Phone customer, and I was looking forward to paying $25.00 per month for more services and features than Time Warner is giving me for $45 / month.

I purchased a Linksys PAP2 adapter at Staples, brought it home, and completed the retail activation. I had dial tone in less than 5 minutes! I was very impressed with the calling features, and the Vonage dashboard is really nifty. I was really rooting for this to work.

So why cancel? In a nutshell, inconsistent call quality. When Vonage is good, it is VERY good - certainly on a par with Time Warner Digital Phone. However, under many circumstances I would get dropouts, hiss, and lots of "lag" that made conversations difficult, even when I wasn't using my internet connection. Testing with PingPlotter, TestYourVOIP, and this forum's Voip speed tests showed very good results, yet call quality was very inconsistent.

When I called to cancel, the person asked if I had talked to Vonage tech support - which I have not. Realistically, is there anything they could have done in this situation?

I may try again in another 6 months or so. In the meantime, I'm awaiting a call back from someone who can complete the cancellation of my account. Sad

Sure there is. If your tests look ok, it very easily could have been a settings change or an alteration in your LAN configuration that would have made everything better.
otaku
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps having a phone adapter like the Linksys, with QoS, could've helped too?

Or perhaps Time Warner was "sabotaging" Vonage's traffic (a conspiracy theory that's been floating around) to keep you with them.

rlstjohn
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

Sure there is. If your tests look ok, it very easily could have been a settings change or an alteration in your LAN configuration that would have made everything better.

I agree...I was getting some crappy quality and I simply moved my PAP2 on my LAN and I also upgraded my home phone system to the Uniden 8860. It all made a world of difference and I cannot tell any difference from how things used to be with Verizon....except the bill!!
jockey
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

BigDeal,
I am also a TW Roadrunner customer. I am in Upstate NY. My service is far from perfect but it is "OK" for now. I too have looked into their digital phone service but found the price to be very high. Although my speeds average around 4500/350 I still have a problem with choppy audio when my bandwith saver is set to 90. I now have it at 50 and it is better. The problem is that there is no good reason why this is happening. My speed tests are good and my results from testyourvoip are good also. Please let me know your setup and if it is similar to mine we can isolate some things. I know you are on your way out the door but your info will help me and others.

Common problems:
1) choppy audio when band set to 90
2) echos, worse when band set to 90
3) other say I sound like I am in a tunnel ( happens once in a while, Vonage did raise my FXS input I will se if that helps.)

set up:

Motorola SB4100>> Linksys RT31p2>> PC
Bandwith saver at 50
QOS enabled at 256
speeds around 4500/350

If anyone else has any suggestions or if there are other TW Roadrunner folks out there your response is welcome.

Thanks
BigDeal
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My setup was:

Motorola SBV4200 Voice over IP cable modem
Netgear WGR614 wireless router
Linksys PAP2 telephone adapter

Three PCs, one wireless, two wired to the WGR 614, very rare that more than one PC in use at any one time. I don't do any P2P filesharing or anything like that, VPN to work is the heaviest use for the upstream connection.

"Official" speeds 5 Mbps downstream, 384 Kbps upstream.

Just did a speed test, which reported 4.83 Mbps down and 566 Kbps upstream. QOS 97 %, RTT 56ms, MaxPause 20ms. TestYourVOIP numbers to Boston and San Jose today vary between 4.3 and 4.4 (with 4.4 being the "max").

These numbers are consistent with what I saw when I was testing Vonage. The numbers always looked good, but very often I was still experiencing unacceptable call quality. I never saw an association between poor quality calls and my own personal internet activity. I would try speed tests during calls and not notice any degradation in call quality. Other times I would be have all the PCs turned off, and calls would still be unacceptable.

With the clock ticking down on my 14-day trial, and reading the threads about how difficult it is to get to Vonage tech support, I decided to cancel for now. When Vonage comes out with E-911 and seems to have a better grip on customer support, I will most likely try again. For now, with Time Warner, I'm still saving money over Verizon, and my call quality is excellent.
otaku
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know how, but I wonder if the Voip cable modem had something to do with it?

There may be truth in the rumours that Time Warner is sabotaging their competition (Vonage)...

jockey
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

As you can see I a using the Motorola SB4100. Maybe this has something to do with it. I have asked for a SB5100 and am waiting for that. If I ever get them to call me back so I can get a SB5100 I'll report back. I tried buying my own modem but they said I have to use one of theirs Rolling Eyes . I have read other threads that the SB5100 has worked well for others.
pubcrawler
Vonage
Engineer
Vonage<br>Engineer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Currently there known problems with the Motorola SBV4200 cable modem and the Vonage service. This issue is currently being researched.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You're responding to a thread 9 months old.