How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
tedhogan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject: RT31P2 DHCP/static ip problem Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all, I have a couple of very wierd issues going on that I haven't been able to track down yet. I'd be extremely grateful if any of you have any good suggestions.

1) I have on PC that occasionally refuses to pull an IP from the router. Sometimes it grabs one right away and is fine and others, like today, it just sits there for hours with a self assigned IP and nothing I do helps.

2) I have a networked printer that I cannot use anymore. I try assigning a static ip of 192.168.15.110 to the printer and creating an entry in the routing table on the router, but it refuses to work. I cannot ping the printer and am dead in the water. Do I have to assign a static IP within or outside of the DHCP ranger specified on the router? Any idea why this isn't working?

I never had these problems with the router that this one replaced.

BTW - are there steps on integrating this router within an existing network available online somewhere? I'm not that confident in my networking skills, so I removed my older router. But, this could probably all be solved if I could just hook my old router up as the DHCP server and use this one as a pass through... not sure how to do that correctly...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Ted
tedhogan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

so much for helpful forums
Martlet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Lack of an answer to your question doesn't make the forums unhelpful. It just means your post was either missed or no one had an answer for you.

Let's start by asking you how you have your network set up now.
annsera
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject: Exactly this problem... Reply with quote Back to top

I have the same problem as this person (flaky IP assignment, networked printer not working) but my network might be set up differently.

Here's my setup:
Motorola SBG900 Router/CableModem/Wireless AP/Gateway combo
Linksys RT31P2

The two routers fight all the time. You can see in the logs of the Linksys and of the Motorola that they regularly think the other router is intruding somehow.

Currently, I have turned off DHCP on the Linksys in a failed attempt to try to turn it into a dumb hub (it still wants to assign addresses and does not turn into a dumb hub at all). There is also no way to drop the firewall in the Linksys that I have found...has anyone?

Really, I wish I was given the PAP2 device as I already had a router and certainly did not want a second one. The Linksys causes my Motorola to be confused and I lose wireless connectivity all the time while it seems to try to figure out what is going on.

Anybody know how to turn the Linksys into a dumb hub or if that is truly possible? Anybody want to trade a RT31P2 for a PAP2?
Martlet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Do you have your Linksys between your Motorola and your PC, or parallel?
dpgearty
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Linksys and Vonage websites have an example of integrating two routers, but it is unacceptable to me because it will not support VPN client passthrough and connectivity between devices on different routers. So, I came up with my own solution for the following setup: Comcast Toshiba PCX1100U <-> RT31P2 <-> Linksys WRT55AG.

1) Turn off Network Address Translation on the WRT55AG by changing it's Routing Operating Mode from Gateway to Router.

2) Assign a static IP to the Internet interface of the WRT55AG.
IP Address: 192.168.15.2
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Default gateway: 192.168.15.1
{You will need to type in your ISP's DNS servers}

3) Add a static route from the RT31P2 to the WRT55AG:
Destination LAN IP: 192.168.1.0
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.15.2
Hop count: 1
Interface: Local

With this configuration I am able to:
1) Manage the WRT55AG by browsing http://192.168.1.1/
2) Manage the RT31P2 by browsing http://192.168.15.1/
3) Use a VPN client into work
4) Use Ethernet port QoS and Voice Qos
5) Plug a device into a LAN Ethernet port of either the WRT55AG or the RT31P2, have DHCP assign an IP address and have full connectivity to other devices on both subnets

I would imagine that you could do something similar to this, but with the RT31P2 playing the role of the WRT55AG, due to having a combined cable modem/router.
Smeghead
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Exactly this problem... Reply with quote Back to top

annsera wrote:
The two routers fight all the time. You can see in the logs of the Linksys and of the Motorola that they regularly think the other router is intruding somehow.

Currently, I have turned off DHCP on the Linksys in a failed attempt to try to turn it into a dumb hub (it still wants to assign addresses and does not turn into a dumb hub at all). There is also no way to drop the firewall in the Linksys that I have found...has anyone?
In order to make two routers play nicely with each other, I've found there's a few things that you need to do. You've already got a good unbderstanding that you really only want one acting as a router (your Voip box in most cases, so you can make use of QoS) and one acting as a switch.

I've found that simply disabling DHCP on the other router isn't enough. I've found that you need to:

1. Disable DHCP on the router you no longer want to do routing,
  2. Give the router you no longer want to do routing a new IP address if its default clashes with your actual router's.
  3. Disconnect everything from the WAN port of the non-router and only use the switch ports instead.

When I got my RP31P2, I left my existing router (a Linksys RP614) in the living room to be reused as a switch. Since all of my wiring for my wife's iBook and all my crap in the spare room (2 PC's, our networked Laserjet and my Rio Karma) runs to that point, and with the TiVo that's soon to arrive, I needed a switch near the TV. The cable modem and Linksys went to our bedroom as our cordless phone lives there and we had space in a cabinet where I could hide all that crap. Smile

At first I had a little difficulty as I'd forgotten to disconnect the WAN port on the non-router and connect it to the Linksys through one of the switch ports. Once I did that, all of its NAT stuff went away and it became a mainly dumb switch (albeit one with an IP address and a little settings webserver of its own).
ewooyong
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Linksys RT31P2 DCHP Issues? Reply with quote Back to top

I have similary issues are tedhogan describes.

Some Backgroud:
I've got my cable modem connected to the Linksys router which is then connected to my Netgear WGR614 wireless router.

The wireless router is acting as a dumb switch (DHCP turned off and only connected to the Linksys router on its ethernet ports--not WAN).

In addition, a static IP (192.168.15.150) was given to the Netgear router that's beyond what the Linksys is able to assign. No static routers were created on the Linksys.

I have 3 PCs connected to the Linksys router and 2 wireless clients that connect on occasion to the Netgear wirelessly.

One of the PCs was assigned a static IP since it acts as my web server (using port forwarding on the Linksys router).

Issues:
All fine for a few weeks until one of the PCs lose it's dynamically assigned IP. Then the another PC loses it too. Now, none of the PCs with dynamically assigned IPs seem to be able to acquire an IP address from the Linksys router (acting as the DHCP server).

If someone can suggest a theory on WHY this would happen, I'd be greatful. I don't need any workarounds.

Thanks!
enigma91884
Vonage
Representative
Vonage<br>Representative

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Linksys RT31P2 DCHP Issues? Reply with quote Back to top

ewooyong wrote:
I have similary issues are tedhogan describes.

Some Backgroud:
I've got my cable modem connected to the Linksys router which is then connected to my Netgear WGR614 wireless router.

In addition, a static IP (192.168.15.150) was given to the Netgear router that's beyond what the Linksys is able to assign. No static routers were created on the Linksys.

I have 3 PCs connected to the Linksys router and 2 wireless clients that connect on occasion to the Netgear wirelessly.

Issues:
All fine for a few weeks until one of the PCs lose it's dynamically assigned IP. Then the another PC loses it too. Now, none of the PCs with dynamically assigned IPs seem to be able to acquire an IP address from the Linksys router (acting as the DHCP server).

If someone can suggest a theory on WHY this would happen, I'd be greatful. I don't need any workarounds.

Thanks!

if you have 3 pc's connected to your linksys then how is the netgear connected? also I would leave DHCP off on the netgear, however assign a static route that is INSIDE the range the linksys gives out, or use RIP if you're an advanced user.

if you really wanna get funky you have both networks use DHCP and on their own network and see each other using supernetting, but thats an entirely diff ballgame and is probably a waste of time for a home network.

Also leave dhcp on on the linksys, and make your pc's 192.168.15.100, .101, .102 etc

Hope that helps somewhat
ewooyong
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
if you have 3 pc's connected to your linksys then how is the netgear connected? also I would leave DHCP off on the netgear, however assign a static route that is INSIDE the range the linksys gives out, or use RIP if you're an advanced user.

if you really wanna get funky you have both networks use DHCP and on their own network and see each other using supernetting, but thats an entirely diff ballgame and is probably a waste of time for a home network.

Also leave dhcp on on the linksys, and make your pc's 192.168.15.100, .101, .102 etc

Hope that helps somewhat

Thanks for the reply!

Good catch! I actually have 2 pcs connected to the Linksys--with one port going to the LAN port of the Netgear router. The 3rd PC is connected to the LAN of the Netgear.

I do have the DHCP on the Netgear turned OFF. And there seems to be no problems with the Linksys handing-out the IP addresses thru the Netgear router.

I Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to repro the issue on demand.

So... I assume that I should try to assign the static route to the Netgear router. How will this help?

Thanks again.