How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
GardRailz
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow, this topic has stired up a fair ammount of traffic.

I never expected it to go on for this long. I'm glad that people are atleast discussing the details relating to this subject and how it effects different industries. Someone still hasn't discussed HIPAA, and privacy act information associated with that subject... Yes, people can obtain credit card information, social security information, and credit card offers from your mailbox, or other locations. It doesn't justify opening up another opportunity, another security hole and ignoring it because "Well, you can get the information from other sources, it must be okay." (paraphrasing a previous post)

Someone mentioned that individuals who have entirely too much time on their hands could write utilities and just make them publically available on the internet for "script kiddies". Up until that point, script kiddies really dont concern me as the sneeky ones (the ones that actually find the holes) typically utilize their findings a while before the 'kiddies' get ahold of their techniquies.

No, I'm not CISSP, although I have gone through the class (I cant justify risking 550.00 with three kids). Yes, I am in the seurity field, and a Government contractor. Yes, I know three letter government agencies montior communications, and have the ability to do key word searches through communications. I'm both a Security and Network engineer. I voice these concerns so that people can discuss them in a neutral location and decide for themseleves what level of risk they wish to accept in their lives.

Most people dont leave mail laying in their mailbox for days, typically people pick up their mail (i would hope) within a few hours of having it dropped off in their mailbox. Most people are buying shredders (especially cross cut) to shred their junk mail, knowing that people can obtain 'private' information from that source.

Most people are looking at cordless phone technology with security features where the channel changes every so often, or there is some sort of encryption (yes, because that technology is getting cheaper).

Most people who are not very savy when it comes to technology are aware of identity theft, and are worried about that, and having their credit card's stolen. Yes, there are safeguards to protect individuals from credit card fraud, BUT what about the economy at large? Sure, it's limited to 50.00 per person (if certain conditions are met). What would happen of 100, 1k, 10k, or even 100k people said they ran into that issue? Someone has to eat the 5k, 50k, 500k, or 5M in damages. Most people that are reading this dont even think about the larger issues associated with the problems discussed in this thread. Is not the economy, energy, and information security a National Security issue (for any country) when we look at it from a wider view?
libove
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:11 am    Post subject: Well said, GardRailz! Reply with quote Back to top

Hey GardRailz, you got someone to pay for the CISSP class - get them to pay for the test so you can add the letters to your name :) The real pain is getting them to pay for enough training each year to accumulate the continuing professional education credits (CPEs) to maintain the certification once you have it... that's my current problem. PM me if you want to talk about the CISSP &etc.

Seconding much of GardRailz's excellent statements ("it doesn't justify opening up another opportunity .. because you can get the information from other sources"), and answering Michael545's concern (or lack of concern) about credit card theft through Voip - yes, there are easier ways to steal individual credit card numbers (mailboxes on the street, though this works only a few times per year per mailbox; get a job as a waitron for a few weeks which provides a pretty steady stream of credit card numbers), however these mechanisms have a higher risk of getting caught (neighborhood watch associations looking for people sticking their hands in to your mailbox, the restaurant staff noticing that you're scribbling down something from receipts). A compromised router in line with a business' Voip traffic, accessed through a trojaned network of home PCs, simply won't get personal even if it is detected because it doesn't leave enough of an audit trail (those trojaned PC networks are a real bane of investigators' existence, as are trans-national investigations), and allows the criminal (because we really are talking about criminals here, not script kiddiez) to safely gather massive volumes of information, chew on it until it's all boiled down and financially useful to the criminal and his customers, and all at once cause a large financial loss.

To Michael545's suggestion that the MAC "authentication" used by Vonage's servers would provide useful protection against theft of a single Vonage customer's phone service (at any one moment), a denial of service targeted against an adaptor would be quite effective at preventing it from taking up its rightful spot in Vonage's servers' authentication tables. This would of course result in a noticed service outage for the legitimate customer, so the attacker would just need to go after a different Vonage adaptor when the first victim comes home and wants to use the phone... These issues are largely the same as normal IP address spoofing, and standard script-kiddie capable tools unfortunately already do exist for that.

Finally, to Michael545's point about credit card company greed and the suggestion that the fees would not go down even if we magically eliminated all fraud, I have to pin my hopes on good old fashioned capitalism and competition, driven by that very same greed (to have the most customers) - if the real costs of the credit card companies did go down, it only takes the first greedy company dropping its fees 1% in order to gain more customers, to cause the whole industry to have to follow suit. I hope :)

Finally, putting real security in to this system is not very hard and is not even very expensive. Some of the mechanisms are already standardized. Others are only a matter of time, and interim steps could be taken by a greedy company which wants to differentiate itself from the rest of the field. That makes it all the more irresponsible of the Voip providers to not do it. It's a good sign that the VOIPSA formed recently. I hope they move faster than some other such bodies have over the years.

Cheers!
-Jay Libove, CISSP
Atlanta, GA, US
GardRailz
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Well said, GardRailz! Reply with quote Back to top

libove wrote:

To Michael545's suggestion that the MAC "authentication" used by Vonage's servers would provide useful protection against theft of a single Vonage customer's phone service (at any one moment), a denial of service targeted against an adaptor would be quite effective at preventing it from taking up its rightful spot in Vonage's servers' authentication tables. This would of course result in a noticed service outage for the legitimate customer, so the attacker would just need to go after a different Vonage adaptor when the first victim comes home and wants to use the phone... These issues are largely the same as normal IP address spoofing, and standard script-kiddie capable tools unfortunately already do exist for that.

I disagree. MAC authentication can be spoofed with the way the system is setup now. The SIP protocol, used to setup the call, is unencrypted. That would provide the would-be attacker the ability to capture the MAC address, or hash derived from it, and reverse engineer the situation. The only true way to secure this is with encryption.

libove wrote:

Finally, putting real security in to this system is not very hard and is not even very expensive. Some of the mechanisms are already standardized. Others are only a matter of time, and interim steps could be taken by a greedy company which wants to differentiate itself from the rest of the field. That makes it all the more irresponsible of the Voip providers to not do it. It's a good sign that the VOIPSA formed recently. I hope they move faster than some other such bodies have over the years.

The technology is out there. I don't believe they plan on moving to the encryption anytime soon. I just called customer service to cancel my service (yes, I've been saying I'd do it for the past few months... what can i say, i procrastinate). They insisted (both the first level, and second level support) that the service was encrypted. They are running their business on blatant misdirection of their customers.

They made it difficult for me to cancel my subscription today. They also credited my account for two months service (which I haven't used hardly at all), and have submitted a ticket for management to get back in touch with me within 24 hours.

I'll update this thread with the results of the conversation...
libove
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Well said, GardRailz! Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="GardRailz"]
The technology is out there. I don't believe they plan on moving to the encryption anytime soon. I just called customer service to cancel my service (yes, I've been saying I'd do it for the past few months... what can i say, i procrastinate). They insisted (both the first level, and second level support) that the service was encrypted. They are running their business on blatant misdirection of their customers.
[/quote]

I think you're giving too much credit to the frontline customer service drones. I don't think that Vonage is running its business on blatant lies to the customers (us!), I just think that typical of poor customer service organizations someone was making stuff up. Now, if you can get on tape the customer service agent claiming that they're reading that out of the official Vonage answer book as supplied by management... Heh.

Do keep us informed. Thanks!
-Jay
jeeper30044
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: Packet Sniffer usage Reply with quote Back to top

Question for GardRailz or anyone else who can answer:

I have Ethereal and can capture traffic on my OWN network. Would I be correct in saying that in order for anyone else to capture packets on my network, they would have to be physically connected to my network? Unless someone was physically connected to my network then they would not be able to capture my packets. Right?

Not only that, but if they were able to somehow access my network and capture Voip packets, then they could also capture packets sent when checking my email or logging into my ISP. Since passwords are unencrypted text, then if one were to be able to use a packet sniffer, they would be able to see the password that I used to log in to my email or ISP or whatever. With that password they could log in to my ISP as me and they would have access to my credit card information that way.

So, identity theft is no more prevalent to those who use Voip then those who don't. If a hacker was trying to get personal information, he wouldn't have to sniff a voice packet and listen to endless hours of speech waiting to hear someone spill out their information. It is more likely the hacker would look for packets that contain passwords instead which would be much easier.

It is not just Voip users who need to be concerned with network security issues, but anyone who uses the internet. Especially those who use public access PC's like those in a library or coffeeshop.

That being said, I don't feel any less secure using VIP then I do using anything else that requires internet access.

Regards,
Doug
jmpage2
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Packet Sniffer usage Reply with quote Back to top

jeeper30044 wrote:
Question for GardRailz or anyone else who can answer:

I have Ethereal and can capture traffic on my OWN network. Would I be correct in saying that in order for anyone else to capture packets on my network, they would have to be physically connected to my network? Unless someone was physically connected to my network then they would not be able to capture my packets. Right?

Not only that, but if they were able to somehow access my network and capture Voip packets, then they could also capture packets sent when checking my email or logging into my ISP. Since passwords are unencrypted text, then if one were to be able to use a packet sniffer, they would be able to see the password that I used to log in to my email or ISP or whatever. With that password they could log in to my ISP as me and they would have access to my credit card information that way.

So, identity theft is no more prevalent to those who use Voip then those who don't. If a hacker was trying to get personal information, he wouldn't have to sniff a voice packet and listen to endless hours of speech waiting to hear someone spill out their information. It is more likely the hacker would look for packets that contain passwords instead which would be much easier.

It is not just Voip users who need to be concerned with network security issues, but anyone who uses the internet. Especially those who use public access PC's like those in a library or coffeeshop.

That being said, I don't feel any less secure using VIP then I do using anything else that requires internet access.

Regards,
Doug

The risk is of someone inserting a sniffer at an ISP that handles internet traffic.

This is not as far fetched of a prospect as you might think.
jeeper30044
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not saying the idea of using a packet sniffer is far fetched. In an earlier post, it was stated that a hacker could catch packets containing the voice data to recover conversations containing private information such as credit card numbers. Though this may be true, it is no reason not to use Voip.

I was pointing out the fact that a hacker could just as easily look for packets containing passwords without having to listen for the information to be spoken in conversation.

Therefore, cancelling ones Voip service is not going to make them any safer from hackers using packet sniffing to collect information.
libove
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: My windows are wide open, so why should I lock the door? Reply with quote Back to top

That we suffer one information security risk (e.g. web sites which do not use SSL and so leave our information susceptible to theft) is not a good reason to willfully accept yet more unnecessary and easily resolved information risks.

To do so would be like saying "My windows are wide open, so why should I lock the door?".

-Jay Libove, CISSP
Atlanta, GA, US
GardRailz
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Here's a quick update that i've been meaning to do since Saturday...

I spoke with one of the technical people and he attempted to assure me that the voice traffic was encrypted. When I told him I've decoded a call that I made to an automated service, he continued to say, Oh no, it's encrypted. When I asked him if he could give me permission to capture our call for demonstration purposes, he agreed, then put me on hold about 30 seconds later. When he came back, he said that the RTP and SIP packets are unencrypted. The only encryption, or customization they use for their protocol is with the actual device authentication to their gateways.

After we spoke more about the problem, and the possible fixes, he decided to place my contact information inside the ticket because I had some potential ideas as to how to effectively deal with these issues. I doubt i'll get a call back, but hey, it was nice to actually hear someone say "You're right, it's unencrypted...".

He said that the general support people there genuinely feel that the traffic is secure, and really don't know anything about encryption or electronic eavesdropping. They need training badly....

So, in a nutshell, the conversations are unencrypted. If you buy a business plan, you're only paying for additional usage, not encryption. If you ever run the chance of discussing private matters over the phone, Voice over IP (VoIP) may not be the technology for you. They do have plans on switching things to SRTP, however that wont be happening in the future.

on a side note, I did find out that they are beta-testing the 'call block' feature, which would disallow callers with 'out of area', or 'private' listed in their caller id. All i have to say about that feature is "YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!"

Voip == insecure still. Hopefully it will be taken seriously in the near future.
robertplattbell
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject: Please provide examples... Reply with quote Back to top

The internet has been around for decades.

I have heard rumors that the Internet is "not secure".

However, I have never heard of any specific example of someone intercepting an Internet message and making any use of it.

Can you provide a SPECIFIC EXAMPLE of a Voip conversation being tapped by a thrid party (not a government agency)?

Can you provide a SPECIFIC EXAMPLE of a random message on the Internet being intercepted (again, by a non-governmental third party)?

I'm curious. I hear this statement all the time. One would think that such message interceptions would make headlines all over the world.

I mean, Paris Hilton's e-mails alone would fetch huge sums from the tabloids.

But you never hear about it.

Or are all the newspapers in on the conspiracy as well?

Just asking! Inquiring minds want to know.