How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen posts before that mention QAM 256 seems to be an issue. apparently that's what the qam was being set to (as opposed to 64 I believe) after comcast did their upgrades. this can be checked through the modem's web interface or by asking comcast. if any of you have that I'll try to find the links on it, but I don't recall there ever being a resolution.

Widescreen
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: New modem / QOS Reply with quote Back to top

adb1146 wrote:
However all is not well. I was testing the speed I received from Comcast and even though I requested yesterday that they upgrade my speed I was only getting 1.5 / 360 which is problematic since I need to setup my up and down speeds in order to configure the QOS correctly on the Linksys.

I am going to be calling Comcast this morning to see what they have to say. I will let you all know

Did you have Comcast provision your new modem? You need to tell them what the MAC address is for your new modem. This will also allow them to push any firmware updates for your modem. I don't know if this is a part of the problem or not but it could be.
Ziptar
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Swap that old modem out, and get a ups while you are at it Reply with quote Back to top

GET AN SB5100

I replaced the 3+ year old Comcast provided Motorola modem with a Motorola SB5100 I bought at Walmart for $29 after rebate, last August. Next month it will have paid for itself in what I had been paying in rent. The old comcast provided modem had gotten so bad that it would drop at least once a day. The interesting thing was when I turned the old modem in at the comcast office I told the lady at the counter that they might not want to reuse it as it had been giving me all kinds of trouble. She told me that the model I turned in was giving everyone trouble "All of a sudden".
Since I have had the SB5100 I have had one 12 hour outage, and that was the 12 hours immediately following Hurricane Charlie which hit Port Charlotte just 10 miles from me. So I don't think the SB5100 had anything to do with that.

We got the 4M/384K upgrade a couple of weeks ago, rebooted the SB5100 and I got a 3896/327 speed test right off the bat.

I have had Vonage now 3 days shy of a month and haven't had a single outage or issue.

Odds are if you have an old Comcast modem of 2 years old or older it's only DOCSIS 1.0 compliant and not 1.1. A 1.0 compliant modem won't be able to do the upgraded speeds and be stuck at the old 1.5M/256k.

Also get yourself a small UPS to run the cable Modem and router off of. It will save you haveing to reset everything if there is a brief outage or a "flicker". The old modem would get completely hosed by a power flicker, and I would have to spend 15 minutes getting it going again. Something like a back UPS 500 or 725, I use a 725 and it has lasted an hour after the power went out.

I find many times even if the power goes out for the whole neighborhood, I can still using my laptop and surf the internet via comcast until the power comes back on or I turn everything off. I have the cordless phone plugged into a UPS 500 and last week we had two "flickers" while I was using Vonage and the call never dropped.

My setup:
Motorola SB5100 -->(WAN Port) NetGear WGR614 Wireless Router (LAN Port)<-- (WAN Port) Linksys RT31P2

Last edited by Ziptar on Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
adb1146
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Comcast issues Reply with quote Back to top

I have a SB5100 (rented) ...I know...I know. I am having so many problems with the signal going up and down it is rediculous. I cannot wait until Verizon run fiber thrrough here.

Current setup

SB5100 -> Linksys WRT54GS (Firmware_Alchemy-6.0rc6a ) -> PC / Vonage

Additional Info - QOS set via MAC address of Vonage router
gwsyfer
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Comcast - Jacksonville, Upgrade Motorola 5100 Reply with quote Back to top

Comcast recently upgraded me and Jacksonville, FL to 4.0 / 384, and the day that it happened I lost service for about a minute and then it came up again.

I haven't had any other problems.

I purchased an SB5100 quite a while ago, and it's been quite solid despite the headaches that Comcast sometimes gives me. My two cents for what it's worth.
sabawaka
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:11 pm    Post subject: Call Quality problem resolved!! Reply with quote Back to top

Based on responses from this Forum, I went ahead, purchased and installed the Motorola SB5100 Modem and all the call quality I have been experiencing over the last 4 weeks is gone!!!

I will like to walk you through my experience over the last 4 weeks.

1. I started having call problems (person on other line will net hear me after a minute or two through a call)

2. I called Vonage on 2-01-05 and while on the phone with Vonage I speed tested my line (was using the Toshiba PCX1100 Modem) and got 636/235 kbps for my Download and Upload speed respectively. So Vonage concluded it was not my network speed. They then directed me to load a free software called Ping Plotter Freeware to track packet loss (P/L). Surely I was experiencing P/L from 10% to 40% and I could visibly see the increasing P/L at the same time the Vonage rep could not hear me. We resumed our call on my cell phone.

3. Vonage rep concluded that the problem was not with Vonage and that I should contact Comcast my Broadband Service Provider.

4. Contacted Comcast and they tossed me around saying that they are seeing good connection on their side. They advised me to contact my PC Manufacturer However, I started reading these Forums and periodically started using the "speed test sites" to check my speed. The Upload/Download numbers were all over the place. On 2-15-05 it was 2790/350, on 2-18 it was 130/223, and that's when I called Comcast again to complain about slow speed (no mention about problems with my phone service- do not give them a reason to say that that is not their service area). I was so relieved when the Comcas CS Rep told me that they will send out a tech to my house the next day because they were getting 3000=kbps from their location.

5. The next morning I checked my speed and it was now down to 83/15, then and there I concluded that something must be wrong with my Modem. Immediately the Comcast Tech came in later in the day he swapped my Toshiba Modem with his (Ithink it was an older motorola Modem) and the speed went to 3000+kbps Upload. He concluded I should replace my modem. After he left I connected my old Modem and speed tested it again and the speed was fine at about 2900 kbps upload. Despite that I went ahead and purchased and installed a new Motorola SB5100 Modem. I speed tested at two separate sites and I got 3915/348 and 4220/408 kbps respectively. I could clearly see a significant inprovement in accessing websites and most importantly, when I called using my Voip Phone I was able to talk for 28 freaking minutes without losing call quality or dropping the line!!! EUREKA. I also tested my Voip "Quality between my location and Boston" at athe Brix site (testyourvoip.com) and had a score of 4.4 out of 5!! Previously when I tested it before the Comcast Tech showed up, I scored 1.4 our of 5!!

The bottom line is that something screwy was wrong with my ToshibaPCX 1100 Modem and by giving a good speed test on one ocassion and a bad the next, it gave us a false indication of where the problem was.

I am a very happy camper now and will call Bellsouth first thing on Monday to not bother to show up to activated a Bellsouth Account!!

Hope this help others
DSLOAN
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the toshiba 1100 only supports docsys 1, the motorola 5100 supports docsys 1 & 2, 2 being for high speed, I'm assuming Comcasts new high speed and their own Voip service now use docsys 2.
with the toshiba 1100 I was getting very high speeds but the Voip was lousy. Keep in mind, Comcasts speed varies I've got gold service and I've gotten anywhere from 1500 to 6000 download speeds, their upload speeds are more stable at between 710-750 (the higher upload speed might also help the Voip)
bbtrumpetguy
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DSLOAN wrote:
the toshiba 1100 only supports docsys 1, the motorola 5100 supports docsys 1 & 2, 2 being for high speed, I'm assuming Comcasts new high speed and their own Voip service now use docsys 2.
with the toshiba 1100 I was getting very high speeds but the Voip was lousy. Keep in mind, Comcasts speed varies I've got gold service and I've gotten anywhere from 1500 to 6000 download speeds, their upload speeds are more stable at between 710-750 (the higher upload speed might also help the Voip)
Toshiba 1100U supports DOCSIS 1.1. AFAIK, Comcast has NOT implemented DOSCIS 2.0.
DSLOAN
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the Toshiba 1100, not 1100u only supports docsis1, my 1100 was also close to 5 years old
bbtrumpetguy
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DSLOAN wrote:
the Toshiba 1100, not 1100u only supports docsis1, my 1100 was also close to 5 years old

Actually, according to Comcast, it's the 1000 that is not 1.1/2 compliant. The 1100 again according to this site, is compliant. http://faq.comcast.net/faq/answer.jsp?name=17905&cat=Connection&subcategory=Cable%20Modems

(I'm really not trying to be a big pain in the @$s)