How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
kenn10
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Comcast Reply with quote Back to top

shadowreader wrote:

I am having the same problems. I have only had Vonage for a week but am having terrible call quality with garbled audio, echo and some dropped calls. I just recently upgraded to the 6meg/768k plan(gold tier) from Comcast. There is definitely something to this. I have heard of multiple comcast/vonage users having trouble since the speed upgrades.

Comcast made a couple of changes in the network. First the QAM setting in the modem changed from 64 to 256. The QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) is very important to how data is transmitted by compressing more data into less space. Older modems don't do well with that especially when added to the higher speeds.

Also, the higher speeds and the QAM 256 will heighten data errors if you have poor cable amplification or bad coaxial splitters, bad wiring or too many splices on the line.

I'd hook a TV up to the spot where the modem is and see if you have a crystal clear picture on most channels just to check. You'll find that fuzzy picture or ghosting on the pictures equals poor data transport. I had that problem until they found a bad amplifier in my neighborhood. Lastly, I'd run the speed tests on this forum and also try http://speedtest.dslreports.com to doublecheck my speed.

Hold Comcast accountable until your service is improved. I can attest that I get amazing speed and quality where I am in the Atlanta suburbs. I don't believe for a moment that Vonage is the issue with poor quality audio. The broadband provider is almost always the issue -- whether from lack of enough capacity in their connection to the internet or in poor transport to your house. The cable company techs should be able to run a signal to noise ratio test at your house to see if there is a transport issue. A ratio around 35 dB is good.

I'm fortunate enough to have a great connection and thus no problems.
bbtrumpetguy
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Comcast Reply with quote Back to top

kenn10 wrote:
]

Comcast made a couple of changes in the network. First the QAM setting in the modem changed from 64 to 256. The QAM (quadrature amplitude modulation) is very important to how data is transmitted by compressing more data into less space. Older modems don't do well with that especially when added to the higher speeds.

From what I have read, it has been said that QAM 256 has only been implemented to this point in the areas where Comcast is testing their Voip service. You make very good points!
adb1146
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Modem day Reply with quote Back to top

Well I have the modem in the car and will be dropping by this afternoon to see if I can change it for a upgraded one. I am also going to be upgrading to the 6M/768k service. I will report back and let you know how it goes. I just wish Comcast would make this information available. It just seems like the right thing to do. US consumers are so dependant on the internet today. I can't wait until Verizon rolls out its optical fiber lines later this year. Finally Comcast will have some competition in both the internet and cable sectors. Just wait...then suddenly the innovation will start.
kenn10
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Modem day Reply with quote Back to top

adb1146 wrote:
Finally Comcast will have some competition in both the internet and cable sectors. Just wait...then suddenly the innovation will start.

Competition is good. The ILEC's have to do something themselves to get up to speed. Maybe Verizon will spice up the mix.
adb1146
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: QOS settings Reply with quote Back to top

Kenn - If you don't mind I would like more information about how you have your network configured. When I place my Vonage router behind the Linksys router I do not get a dial tone. I have read that I need to allocate it a static IP address and allow pass through. I would like to use Sveasoft on my Linksys WRT54GS modem. I am still however looking for specific instructions on how to best configure the setup.
kenn10
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: QOS settings Reply with quote Back to top

adb1146 wrote:
Kenn - If you don't mind I would like more information about how you have your network configured. When I place my Vonage router behind the Linksys router I do not get a dial tone. I have read that I need to allocate it a static IP address and allow pass through. I would like to use Sveasoft on my Linksys WRT54GS modem. I am still however looking for specific instructions on how to best configure the setup.

I've got the old ATA186 terminal adapters behind my WRT54GS router. I have been trying to get Vonage to upgrade me to newer units with no avail. You may run into double NAT'ing issues with a router behind a router although I didn't have that problem when I had the AT&T CV Dlink router in front of my WRT54GS. Not sure why your Vonage setup would not work behind your router.
sabawaka
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Losing calls and poor reception Reply with quote Back to top

I have had Vonage for more than 6 months and have had no problems until 3 weeks ago (after Comcast started their upgrade). I live in the Atlanta Metro area (Lilburn). For the past 3 weeks I have been working with Vonage to solve the problem. They have replaced my original Motorola Adapter with a Linksys Broadband Router RT31P2. However I am still having problems with very poor quality. After about 2 minutes, the other person on the other line cannot hear me.

Vonage walked me through testing my Broadband speed which was fine and then they helped me install a Software to track Package Loss. While monitoring the package loss and talking to the Vonage rep on the phone I could visibly notice the loss of reception as the package loss starts going above 10% and went as high as 40%. Vonage says that I have to contact Comcast to solve that problem.

Just spoke to Comcast tonight and they claim they pinged my Modem and it is fine. They say they do not have any instructions to troubleshoot my Voip Service and I should contact my PC Manufacturer to let them know that I started having problems after Comcast upgraded their system.

I am so desperate that I have already asked Bellsouth to re-install my service because we cannot use the phone. However I love the Vonage Service as I make a lot of International calls. However, Bellsouth will come in to install the new service in 10 days and I am hoping I can fix my Vonage Service and cancel the request to Bellsouth

Can someone recommend a New Modem that I can try out to replace my existing Toshiba PCX 1100? What can I tell the Comcast Rep for them to send a tech to my house to test the system?

Thanks
Widescreen
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Try the Motorola SB5100. It's been given high marks around here.
bbtech
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've noticed issues lately too, seemingly corresponding with the Comcast speed upgrades.

I have a Motorola SB4100. Do you guys think upgrading to an SB5100 will help?
adb1146
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: New modem / QOS Reply with quote Back to top

OK I picked up the SB 5100 last night. Then I flashed the firmware of my Linksys WRT54GS with the latest build from Sveasoft Firmware_Alchemy-6.0rc6a (firmware). I stipluated the QOS using the MAC address of my Vonage router. I got it all to work by bringing them online in a delayed chain. By that I mean that I connected the Comcast modem, waited a minute or two then connected my Linksys Router, waited and then finally hooked up my Vonage Voip router to one of the ports on the Linksys.

However all is not well. I was testing the speed I received from Comcast and even though I requested yesterday that they upgrade my speed I was only getting 1.5 / 360 which is problematic since I need to setup my up and down speeds in order to configure the QOS correctly on the Linksys.

I am going to be calling Comcast this morning to see what they have to say. I will let you all know