In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
jbrecording
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Faxing issues HP Officejet 4215 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

I've switched to Vonage about a month ago, I love the features! Call quality is nice, and with the ability to add a 2nd line for faxing on my phone adapter I went for it. Bought the HP Officejet 4215, and have not been faxing at all... I was on the phone w/ Steve at HP Tech support for at least 2 hours, trying this and that going into menus here and there, getting 405 errors whenever I tried sending a fax,... but here's the weirdest part:

While on the call with the HP support guy I was trying to fax 4 different places. a) HP, b) My mom's house, c) my friend's house, and d) the place I used to work at (formerly a Mailboxes Etc).Places A-c have HP fax machines, D has a Canon, I was only able to send the fax successfully to the canon where I used to work and the guy at HP... WEIRD! I don't get it.

I'm wondering if I should sign up for a land line for use as a fax line or just drop the whole faxing thing altogether... I was assuming that when I opted to "Add a fax line" through my Vonage thing it might be a line dedicated to performing well when used for faxes, since the pricing was different for it etc... I dunno.

Anyone ever see this happen before?

Anyone think I'd have better luck w/ a differnet fax machine? I like HP products, but if swapping this one out for another brand would fix this and keep me from having to re-open a land line I'd like to stick with Vonage 100% if possible. Anyone have any advice for me?

Thanks!!

~John
leesweet
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

John, don't have much to add, but I just got my service last week (Linksys 1.26 firmware) and my Canon 780 send and receives fine using the fax line (line 2). I switched from HP to Canon after reading complaints that HP scanners weren't great, and Canons were better; not that that helps you!

Makes no sense that you can't fax to some HPs and can to others, and can to the Canon. It *could* be a problem with the modem in your HP; only idea I have is that you swap it out and test it that way. Of course, I assume it worked fine before so you shouldn't need to do that, either... What's you firmware on the TA?

BTW, a Vonage tech told me that the fax line setup is different and specially for faxes, whatever that means. I assume it's something to do with the use of Voip, since normal landlines are fine for fax and voice, of course.
rlstjohn
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Just FYI...I only have a Vonage voice only line (no fax line) and I have been sending faxes with no problems, I use a HP Fax 1010.
jbrecording
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I just tried swapping the phone cables, and sending the fax from my primary number, no luck. I'm just going to go the landline route for faxing...

~John
vquach
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject: officejet 4215 error 405 solution... Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

I too have encountered this problem when trying to send fax on my officejet 4215.

What fixed it for me was by performing the following steps:

1. Press the setup button (upper right corner of the fax machine)
2. Keep pressing the setup button until you get to the fourth option which says "Advanced Fax Setup"
3. Press OK to select the "Advanced Fax Setup" menu
4. Then using the left or right scroll arrows (below the OK button) scroll till you get to the sixth option which says "Fax Speed"
5. Press OK to select this menu item
6. Press the right scroll arrow till you get "slow" for the fax speed.
7. Press OK to accept this selection.

Then initiate a fax as you normally would.

Hope this helps.

Vincent
lswank
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Faxing issues...HP Officejet 4215 Reply with quote Back to top

The secret to reliable and stable faxing may require a call to Vonage to have them check or edit the configure of your Voip adapter. I learned recently that HP faxing via SIP requires an ethernet payload packet frame size to be 40ms to get stability and a good clean image at the recipient fax. The default setting maybe at 20ms and HP fax is missing some data and getting EOF too soon and then gives error 344 etc...

Trial and error testing at work recently.

HTH Very Happy

Lawrence Swank
Ticahar
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:31 pm    Post subject: HP OfficeJet4125 doesn't work for me Reply with quote Back to top

Just to add my two scents to warn someone else who may do more research than I did before investing in the combination of Vonage's fax only line and an HP OfficeJet 4215.

I got Vonage about a month ago. Unfortunately, I already owned the HP all in one. I believed the line on Vonage's website that their fax line works with all fax machines.

I spent a total of 2 days on the phone with more than 5 techs to try to resolve the issue. I followed all of the suggestions given throughout the threads. I even swapped out my cable modem for a newer model based on threads on another forum (and the support of yet another Vonage tech support).
My current configuration just doesn't seem to support faxing through Vonage:

I have HP OfficeJet 4125, I am using Earthlink over Time Warner Cable, I have an SB5101 modem.

I was repeatedly told that my packet loss was too great and that my upload speed was too slow. However, no one source seemed able to show me how to fix that.
For whatever it's worth I was never able to make this setup fax reliably.
Prashanth
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: officejet 4215 error 405 solution...works for 4315 Reply with quote Back to top

I use a HP OfficeJet 4315 Printer-Fax-Scanner-Copier. I have a regular Vonage phone line. I had a terrible time faxing. The first few pages would go and the transmission would break. I set my Fax speed to "Slow" like Vincent said and it worked fine. I could send 10 pages without a problem. I wonder if this is a HP problem or a Vonage problem. I did not check the HP fax with a regular phone line. Thanks Vincent.

Regards
Prashanth

vquach wrote:
Hi All,

I too have encountered this problem when trying to send fax on my officejet 4215.

What fixed it for me was by performing the following steps:

1. Press the setup button (upper right corner of the fax machine)
2. Keep pressing the setup button until you get to the fourth option which says "Advanced Fax Setup"
3. Press OK to select the "Advanced Fax Setup" menu
4. Then using the left or right scroll arrows (below the OK button) scroll till you get to the sixth option which says "Fax Speed"
5. Press OK to select this menu item
6. Press the right scroll arrow till you get "slow" for the fax speed.
7. Press OK to accept this selection.

Then initiate a fax as you normally would.

Hope this helps.

Vincent
OlePa
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject: HP 405 fax error fixed by Vincent Reply with quote Back to top

I also have an HP 4315, and was getting a 405 error sending fax. Vincent's solution (slower fax speed) worked great for me too! I was ready to junk the machine, but now I am back in business! Thanks Vincent!!
BillgInGRR
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: HP Error Code 344, easy fix Reply with quote Back to top

I have a HP L7680 All In One and had intermittent problems faxing and receiving error code 344. I changed the fax speed to medium 14400 in the advanced fax settings on the printer. This seems to have solved my faxing problem. I think this is a way to fix any HP fax models.