How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Canada
dabones
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I know on Vonage's web site it says that all calling withing a certain area code is considered local, this is prolly due the fact that alot of big cities, like Toronto have an area code that it just for that city, so all calls in that area code is local, but other area codes, such as 905, 519, 705, etc. cover a very large area of the province, you know already that you cna't call everyone in yoru area code for free, you have to read the other line on the Vonage site that says the city to which you will get a phone number for.. when i looked up 519 there was only 2 cities listed, I know I can call London locally, so I picked it, but I wouldn't have picked a kitchener one, cuz I already knew it was LD.. you should have already known you couldnt' call that city locally, so why pick it?
DarKev
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The way Vonage works is that your area code is always considered your local calling area. My area code is 613. Yet 6 KM away is Gatineau Quebec. Bell does not charge to call Gatineau from Ottawa because the distance is so near. Yet if I call Gatineau from my Vonage 613 Ottawa number, it is treated as a long distance call. On the other hand, Kingston which is 2 hours away, and ALSO SHARES area code 613 is a free call! I don't even need to dial the area code when calling Kingston. Just the 7 digit number and it goes through. It prepends the area code 613 onto all of my numbers dialed, if I don't specify the area code when I'm dialing.

Fortunately I have the unlimited LD plan, so none of this matters to me really. However, if I was on the plan for unlimited province only calling, it would matter.

Here's another thing. Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia are two separate provinces, but both provinces share area code 902. If you get a 902 area code number, it can only originate in Halifax at this time through Vonage. So only Haligonians could call you toll free. Yet, you could call Summerside, PEI and it would be treated as a local call because it is still within the 902 area code.

The tolls do not work the same with Vonage as they do with your POTS telephone company. Local area calling is significantly bigger. It's area code calling more than anything. On the other hand, when people are calling you, the area code + exchange that you have is important to them. If the city of your choice is not available, there's not much you can do except wait.
dabones
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

the thing with these 'local calls' are that the only thing local about them is that you can dial 7 digits instead of 10 or 11.. since Vonage either offeres unlimited, either in-province, or in-continent, or the basic 500 plans, it doesn't really matter if the person is a 7 or a 10 digit call away.. I only have the 500 plan, so whether I call my own cell phone, my mom down teh street, or my wifes mom, 1000 Miles away in South Carolina, it costs the same, but for ppl calling YOU it is very important ot get a number within the city or local from POTS calling area, where you will recieve most of yoru calls from.. for you, your family is in Halifax, so it's lucky for you you can get a halifax area code, but if the lived in anothe rpart pf the 902, then it would be totally pointless for you have avirtual number, cuz whether they would dial LD to Halifax or to Ottawa, it'd still be LD for them, and for you it doesn't matter...

like you say, they don't offer you a Gatineua #, but you knew that Ottawa was local for your friends to call you, so you got it, rather than say a Montreal number right.. this other person in Hamilton area shouldn't have gotten the service thinking they would be local to everyone in 905, cuz they should have read that they would only get a number form Hamilton and known that the city they lived in had to dial LD to get Hamilton..

my wife mom is actually LD to Columbia, but since she has this 'area plus' plan she can call them w/o being charged, but she can only call certain parts of Columbia, (Columbia is a spaced out over a large area, and made up of other cities, Lexington being one).. I e-mailed to make sure that if I got a COlumbia # that it would be Columbia, not Lexington, cuz a lexington # would be LD for mom and she'd still never call us..

Last edited by dabones on Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
DarKev
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you are 100% correct. If my family was elsewhere that did not have Vonage service, I would not have got my virtual number.

Everything has worked out great for me with this new stuff. People still don't understand the way this is working. My friend in Halifax knows someone in Cape Breton who went with Vonage. They also received a Halifax number, because Cape Breton is part of Nova Scotia. Nova Scotia only has one city where you can get a Vonage number and that's Halifax. However, for some reason they thought that since they were living in Cape Breton, the number would be local to all 902 locations. For some reason, people are confused over how this works.
luccrook
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So how or when will Vonage fix this problem for the 905 area code? The 905 area covers a very large portion of the Golden Horseshoe area. I live in Courtice which is at the opposite end of the 905, to Hamilton. So if someone in Oshawa, which is 5 minutes next door to me, wants to call me they have to dial a Hamilton number and incur long distance charges? That doesn't seem right at all. I know alot of people that live in this area and would really love to get Vonage but this is the only thing holding them back. I have tried to contact Vonage a few times and no one has given me an answer as to when or how this problem might be fixed.

You would think that they would take of this matter right away considering that at least 50% of the population of Ontario lives in the 905 area code. (That was a very rough guess so don't shoot me if I'm off by a few people. Lol )
dabones
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

can you dial a 416 Toronton number locally from your house phone? if so, then get a toronto number.. then if they ever get a oshawa number then you can switch to that at that time..

it is weird that they dont' have more 905 numbers, you'd think they'd have maybe Niagara Falls area, and the area east of T.O. too.. I understand not having numbers for areas that can already call 416/647 locally, cuz you can just get a number from there..
luccrook
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
can you dial a 416 Toronton number locally from your house phone? if so, then get a toronto number.. then if they ever get a oshawa number then you can switch to that at that time..

416/647 is all long distance for me. And probably 3/4 of the 905 at that. I live at the very far east end of the 905. And Hamilton is at the opposite west end. The 905 area is geographically huge.
Motofreak
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: 905ers Reply with quote Back to top

Welll after getting my linksys WRT54GP2 via UPS today from tiger direct, I think I"ll let it be used as just a wireless routor, until Vonage decides to wake up and gets a few more 905 area codes. Oshawa is about 100 kms/60 miles from Hamilton and everyone thats calls me is from the Durham area (atleast 40kms east of Toronto)

I just hope they get their act together soon, there is well over 2 million people living just outside of the 416 area code !
jmyyz
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

dabones wrote:

it is weird that they dont' have more 905 numbers, you'd think they'd have maybe Niagara Falls area, and the area east of T.O. too.. I understand not having numbers for areas that can already call 416/647 locally, cuz you can just get a number from there..

i don't get them. why would they have both 647 and 416 as available area codes. That's so silly.
DarKev
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I received the Vonage newsletter today in my email inbox. It stated the following, which you may find of some interest.

More New Area Codes Available

Vonage Canada is expanding our service so that we can offer customers the widest possible selection of Canadian area codes. We already offer 15 different Canadian area codes in 6 provinces. By the middle of this year, we expect to have a wide selection of local 905 numbers to better serve our customers in the Greater Toronto area.

"By the end of this year, you should be able to get a local number with Vonage Canada in virtually every major Canadian city," said Bill Rainey, President, Vonage Canada.