How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
SpiderMonkey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Regular Service v's Vonage: Which is better? Reply with quote Back to top

I joined this forum to get a little info on the service. My roommate and I are considering getting rid of our SBC service and going with Vonage. But we have some questions that current customers could answer.

1. How is this service compared to "regular" phone services?

2. What are the major problems with the service (I know there must be some)?

3. How is the customer service?

4. Are there hidden charges?

I realize that I could probably find the answers to these questions on some FAQ page but I want to hear it from the people actually using the product. Anything anyone can tell me will help.
rebus
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Regular Service v's Vonage: Which is better? Reply with quote Back to top

SpiderMonkey wrote:
1. How is this service compared to "regular" phone services?

You'll have to be more specific than "how is this service". In my case, call quality ranges from "so good that you'd never know it isn't POTS" to maybe 85-90% the quality. (We have been spoiled by years of POTS service that is always 100% flawless.) There is background noise, courtesy of a defective Linksys adapter, but there is suppoedly a fix on the way. Occasionally I get a little choppiness, static or intermittent voice dropouts, but that is rare. Reliability-wise, it's only as good as (a) your local internet connection, (b) the network path between you and the Vonage gateway, and (c) your electrical utility's propensity for power outages. We lost power during 3 of the 4 hurricanes here in Florida last year, and the only thing that DID work was our POTS line, which of course is self-powered by the phone company and its generators. A power outage, cable outage, network routing problem, or a combination of those factors can potentially mean no phone service. But that's the price we pay for being early adopters, and for bragging rights over using this way-cool technology. If you have a cell phone as a backup, then the occasional outage may be less significant.

SpiderMonkey wrote:
2. What are the major problems with the service (I know there must be some)?

Problems are usually related to packet loss and/or latency on your internet connection (and in some cases, problematic cable modems). Symptoms include the aforementioned chops/static, and on rare occasions, voice dropouts. The majority of calls are fine, but it's not 100%.

SpiderMonkey wrote:
3. How is the customer service?

In a word, horrible. In my experience, average wait time on hold for support exceeds 30 minutes, and average turn-around time on support email exceeds 2 weeks. Oh, and God forbid you call during peak hours, because you'll likely be rolled to an overseas call center to people who either couldn't care less if they help you, or are either incapable of, or not permitted to use, independent thought to solve problems.

SpiderMonkey wrote:
4. Are there hidden charges?

No. Unlike the regular telcos who nickel-and-dime (or dollar) you to death, the Vonage service is comprehensive flat-rate, except for international calls. That's the one thing that keeps me a customer... the all-you-can-eat long distance and full-featured service for under $30/mo. That, and the hope Vonage is just experiencing some temporary pains from unprecedented growth. 6-12 months from now, if customer support is still this bad (and if I haven't gotten a router that doesn't have background noise yet), I may consider switching to AT&T. But for now, I'm willing to ride it out for a while.

AspectTec
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Agree with rebus on this one. In my case the service is just as good as my cable modem connection and its rock solid where I live.

After some tweaking by Vonage of my routers voice settings and ring voltages people that I talk to can not tell that Im on Voip.

I have a defective linksys adapter myself but have used a workaround to quiet the background noise.

When Vonage gets in the new replacement units I will get in line for one of those.

In all Im glad I switched. I love new technology and have always been an early adopter/pioneer.

The Voicemail to email is nice to.
pdrayton
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

1). I live in Boston and Verizon call quality was awful. I have the "defective" Linksys adapter but am fortunate that I don't have any background noise. Calls are crystal clear and I get many more features than Verizon at a lower price. I'm now saving $750 per year compared to what I was spending for comparable service with Verizon.

2). The only problem I can think of really isn't a problem but just a difference between POTS (regular landline phone service) and VoIP... when your power goes out so does your phone service. Vonage has backups, however, and you can designate a phone number where calls can be forwarded during a power outage. Most people designate their cell phone. So, when I experience one of the frequent power outages in Boston calls to my home phone are automatically forwarded to my cell phone. No missed calls!

Also, you must remember to activate via dashboard Vonage's version of 911 service. You won't have 911 service until you activate it via dashboard AND receive a confirmation email from Vonage stating that it's working.

3) Customer service is either very bad or very good. No inbetween. Voip is relatively new and growing by leaps and bounds, so inconsistent and hard to get customer service may be a temporary thing. But, it seems that most problems can be solved (or one can figure out what is wrong and what one needs to ask Vonage to do) via this forum.

4). No hidden charges. Just a 3% Federal Excise Tax and a $1.50 Regulatory Recovery Fee. Plus, if you live in New Jersey, you'll be charged 6% sales tax. My unlimited service comes to a total of $27.24!

When I signed up for Vonage they were out of numbers in the Boston area code. I picked a number in a different area code (I wanted to start saving right away!) and then had Vonage switch me to a 617 area code when they became available again. The charge for that was $9.95 plus the 3% Federal Excise Tax.
SpiderMonkey
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for input! Since we're currently using SBC I don't think the customer service can be any worse, my roomie's a techy and we'd appreciate the savings.

I was a little worried that I'd get nothing but a negative campaign.
MrEggs
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject: Two more cents worth Reply with quote Back to top

I would largely agree with all of the above.

I particularly like the virtual number feature, as it gives me a local number in Houston, when my company is HQ'ed.

The one deviance I made from the "official" installation instructions is where I put the adapter on my network. You are "supposed to" put it as the first thing off the cable modem, and then it serves out DHCP to the rest of your network. This is so that it gets first crack at the bandwidth and does not have to fight anything else on your system.

Because I use static IP's for my network (due to a specifically picky Unix box), I decided to make the Vonage box a peer with everything else, and they can all fight for bandwidth together. It works well almost all of the time, with the big BUT being that I need to not download a large file from a high bandwidth site while on the phone. Otherwise, you get a very choppy call.

However, if I followed their instructions on the configuration, I would probably not have this problem.

I have no complaints about Vonage - it has lived up to expectations pretty much exactly. That means that the service is very good, the price is great, and the customer support is pretty poor with long waits. Fortunately, since the service and price are good, I don't have to experience the customer service.

One more thing - In addition to the note about the power going out and taking out the service, remember that the Cable TV ISP going down also takes out your service. The risk of losing all phone lines due to power or cable outage did lead me to leave 1 of 3 lines on the local phone company.
rebus
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Two more cents worth Reply with quote Back to top

MrEggs wrote:
I decided to make the Vonage box a peer with everything else, and they can all fight for bandwidth together. It works well almost all of the time, with the big BUT being that I need to not download a large file from a high bandwidth site while on the phone. Otherwise, you get a very choppy call.

Does your router-- or whatever device used at your border-- have a QoS feature? Not all do, of course, but it solves the problem if yours does. We run 2 x RT31P2's behind our router and have their uplink ports set to high priority. Once we enabled QoS, all of the choppiness associated with bandwidth starvation (from other hosts on the LAN) disappeared.

pdrayton
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Two more cents worth Reply with quote Back to top

MrEggs wrote:
One more thing - In addition to the note about the power going out and taking out the service, remember that the Cable TV ISP going down also takes out your service. The risk of losing all phone lines due to power or cable outage did lead me to leave 1 of 3 lines on the local phone company.

That's the truth! 5 1/2 feet of snow in 5 days was just too much for Comcast in my part of Boston yesterday. Poof!... cable internet and TV gone! This was after 2 blackouts earlier in the day.

Fortunately, service across the street was still working and I could tap into one of the home's wireless network so I could chat live with customer service at Comcast.

One gets creative with Voip Lol