Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
MichaelMub Posted:
PORN...
In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
The best pron
On Dec 04, 2016 at 10:22:56

Dwightkaw Posted:
kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; kredyt bez
zaświadcze
24; o dochodach
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
kredyt bez zaświadczeń
On Dec 03, 2016 at 03:27:10

Kevingrarl Posted:
Су
95;ас&
#1085;иl
1;
пі
76;пр&
#1080;&
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Сучас&
On Dec 02, 2016 at 12:51:38

IsaawUnace Posted:
does cialis work
as well as cialis
add.cgi buy
cialis cialis
the team <a
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Condition good pill instead of ed
On Dec 01, 2016 at 11:11:59

MatrickVop Posted:
buy cialis today
columbus oh
generic cialis
buy cialis online
registered users
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Classify miserly pills no means
On Nov 28, 2016 at 10:42:47

dracossumo Posted:
Ко
84;па&
#1085;иn
3; Tritel
пр
77;до
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
&#1048;&#1085;&#1090;&#1077;&#1088;&
On Nov 27, 2016 at 23:00:39

DWSupport Posted:
After recent
Vonage update that
took place on the
4th and 5th of
Nov. E-mails with
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Voicemail Not Forwarding to Outlook Accounts
On Nov 10, 2016 at 12:23:26

peterlee Posted:
Had a call from a
Hospital in Ajax,
Ontario to my home
in
Scarborough, Onta
rio
...

In The Forum:
Vonage Canada
Topic:
Hospital Incoming call unable to connect
On Nov 08, 2016 at 11:59:50

TELLDOUG Posted:
I am looking for a
product that will
make my phone ring
louder so I can
hear using
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Looking for a ringer ameliorate
On Oct 26, 2016 at 09:21:30

HildBeft Posted:
You can recollect
password by
connecting the
router to your pc
and open the
browser
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal



Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review



Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006



Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review



Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
Author Message
jsuser
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Feb 08, 2009
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Need 1 Vonage Line and 1 AT&T Line - Will this work? Reply with quote Back to top

I am thinking of signing up for Vonage for my home line. I also have a business line that my company pays for through AT&T. They won't change.

My question is can I get one Vonage line and keep the AT&T line? What do I have to do?

Also, the sales person at Vonage told me that I can connect the line going out from the Vonage adapter to any open jack and that I will be able to connect wired phones throughout the house and use them with Vonage. Is this true? If so, can I do that and still have the 2nd AT&T line with no issues?

Jeff
View user's profile Send private message
ed56
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Posts: 832

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes you can, as I have a Cincinnati Bell Line for Business and a Vonage line for home.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING when using your house wiring is MAKE SURE the wires that are connected to your Vonage ATA (the Vonage Deivce) are TOTALLY disconnected from any incoming phone wires (from the phone company). Voltages that MAY be present WILL damage our Vonage ATA.

If using the second pair of wires that are already wired in the phone jacks, you will need a Two Line Adapter for the phone that uses the Black and Yellow pair in your house phone cable (if your house has a 2 pair cable) - otherwise check the phone company's box and a jack in the house to see how it is wired - These adapters give you separate jacks for two lines. the third position has both lines wired for a two line telephone (see below)


Then simply use one of these splitters to plug your Vonage ATA device in to (I am assuming the 2nd line) which will energize the 2nd line throughout the house. (NOTE: I would tape over the other line connections at the Vonage ATA location to eliminate errors of plugging in to the wrong connection in the future.) Then use a splitter at each Vonage phone location.

The other option is to use the primary (1st line) for the Vonage connection and make sure AT&T wires to the 2nd line and use a splitter at those AT&T phone locations. But it sounds as though AT&T already has the primary (1st line) wires. You could change those yourself, or use Vonage as above on the 2nd pair of wires.

One extra hint. It is best to use a 2 wire phone cable from your Vonage ATA to the house wiring to add extra safety in not putting any voltage in to your Vonage ATA. You can identify a 2 wire vs a 4 wire cable at the clear connector plug.

Also, check out the do it yourself guide at http://www.vonage.com/support.php?article=649&category=3

For house cables that use more than 2 pair of wires, see http://www.homephonewiring.com/clr-code.html

_________________
Time Warner Road Runner / Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem / Lniksys E2000 / Vonage VDV21
View user's profile Send private message
ArtieSee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Feb 09, 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ed56 wrote:
Yes you can, as I have a Cincinnati Bell Line for Business and a Vonage line for home.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING when using your house wiring is MAKE SURE the wires that are connected to your Vonage ATA (the Vonage Deivce) are TOTALLY disconnected from any incoming phone wires (from the phone company). Voltages that MAY be present WILL damage our Vonage ATA.

If using the second pair of wires that are already wired in the phone jacks, you will need a Two Line Adapter for the phone that uses the Black and Yellow pair in your house phone cable (if your house has a 2 pair cable) - otherwise check the phone company's box and a jack in the house to see how it is wired - These adapters give you separate jacks for two lines. the third position has both lines wired for a two line telephone (see below)


Then simply use one of these splitters to plug your Vonage ATA device in to (I am assuming the 2nd line) which will energize the 2nd line throughout the house. (NOTE: I would tape over the other line connections at the Vonage ATA location to eliminate errors of plugging in to the wrong connection in the future.) Then use a splitter at each Vonage phone location.

The other option is to use the primary (1st line) for the Vonage connection and make sure AT&T wires to the 2nd line and use a splitter at those AT&T phone locations. But it sounds as though AT&T already has the primary (1st line) wires. You could change those yourself, or use Vonage as above on the 2nd pair of wires.

One extra hint. It is best to use a 2 wire phone cable from your Vonage ATA to the house wiring to add extra safety in not putting any voltage in to your Vonage ATA. You can identify a 2 wire vs a 4 wire cable at the clear connector plug.

Also, check out the do it yourself guide at http://www.vonage.com/support.php?article=649&category=3

For house cables that use more than 2 pair of wires, see http://www.homephonewiring.com/clr-code.html

I live in eastern Pennsylvania, I currently have two Verizon landlines. I'm seriously considering switching the second line to Vonage, specifically for the unlimited long distance.

Your post above specifies that introducing a landline voltage into the Vonage adapter will damage it. I have several old style two-line hard-wired business-type phones that I occasionally use to conference calls between my two phone lines. Will this work with Vonage, or if I hit the conference button will it kill the Vonage adapter?

This feature is important to me. If I can't conference a Vonage line and a landline, it will most likely mean that I will not order Vonage.

Thank you very much.
View user's profile Send private message
ed56
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Posts: 832

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have done so with a similar two line phone (Cin Bell and Vonage), but for a definitive answer, would someone else with more expertise answer this?

_________________
Time Warner Road Runner / Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem / Lniksys E2000 / Vonage VDV21
View user's profile Send private message
ksig
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Jul 07, 2008
Posts: 183
Location: Illinois

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on your setup. If you have a multi-line phone that each line connects to the back of the phone, you should be able to conference like normal. If you're using a jack that does a line-1 line-2 split, I doubt that would work.
View user's profile Send private message
ArtieSee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Feb 09, 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ksig wrote:
It depends on your setup. If you have a multi-line phone that each line connects to the back of the phone, you should be able to conference like normal. If you're using a jack that does a line-1 line-2 split, I doubt that would work.

I have two-line office phones with two input jacks:
one is line 1 PLUS line 2, standard 4-wire telephone connection;
one is line 2 by itself.

I am currently using the standard 4-wire telephone connection from the wall. My idea is to disconnect line 2 from the outside world at the exterior Verizon junction box, and connect the Vonage adapter into a wall jack that I've already rewired for line 2 only; this should make Vonage available as line 2 to all of my home phones. Wired that way, on any standard 4-wire telephone connection, Verizon should be line 1, and Vonage line 2. The conference feature simply connects the two lines inside the phone, which is what prompted my original question.

Am I going in the right direction, or are my ideas all wet? Thank you very much in advance for any constructive feedback.
View user's profile Send private message
DLevenson
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master


Joined: Jun 09, 2008
Posts: 227
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Your two-line phone should be designed to provide AC coupling between the two lines in conference mode, but not DC connectivity. Connecting two telco lines directly to each other is not good design, and connecting a telco line directly to a Vonage adapter is likely to damage the adapter. Are you sure that your phone makes a direct connection between its two lines? That is not typical of these devices.

_________________
Dave Levenson, NJ
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
ArtieSee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Feb 09, 2009
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DLevenson wrote:
Your two-line phone should be designed to provide AC coupling between the two lines in conference mode, but not DC connectivity. Connecting two telco lines directly to each other is not good design, and connecting a telco line directly to a Vonage adapter is likely to damage the adapter. Are you sure that your phone makes a direct connection between its two lines? That is not typical of these devices.

No, I'm not sure. I'm not familiar with the internal workings of these telephones.

I have an AT&T/Lucent 952, and an older version of the same phone, an AT&T 732. These two-line wired business phones have been solid and reliable.

I wasn't aware that AC coupling is typically used to conference two phone lines, instead of a direct connection. Since these phones were originally an AT&T design, I would suspect that they comply with industry standards.

Thank you very much for your feedback.
View user's profile Send private message
ed56
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Posts: 832

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

DLevenson wrote:
Your two-line phone should be designed to provide AC coupling between the two lines in conference mode, but not DC connectivity. Connecting two telco lines directly to each other is not good design, and connecting a telco line directly to a Vonage adapter is likely to damage the adapter. Are you sure that your phone makes a direct connection between its two lines? That is not typical of these devices.


Ok, I bit and had to look up AC coupling:

"Circuit that passes an AC signal while blocking a DC voltage." Seems to be tyically done with capacitors in series.

I would think that all two line phones would employ this.

_________________
Time Warner Road Runner / Motorola SB5101 Cable Modem / Lniksys E2000 / Vonage VDV21
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New gaylemv3
New Today 2
Yesterday 8
Total 99011

Who Is On Site
Visitors 81
Members 0
Total 81


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage Stock Price
Value: 6.57
Change:   N/A
Up to 15 Minute Delay

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.78 Seconds and 525 Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum