In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
ValleyGirl
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: FRUSTRATED - can't find solutions to connect phone! Reply with quote Back to top

I hope someone can help me. My husband suffered a stroke last month and is unable to provide assistance with this issue. We had to move and Brighthouse cable does not service my current area. I had internet service through them also.

My problem lies with having to get verizon wireless internet which plugs into a USB port on the front of my computer. Verizon wireless internet was my only option in this area. I do not know how to connect Vonage to it for it to work again. I've been without Vonage for over a month now and am getting conflicting answers to my problem. I've called Vonage and verizon with no luck. Vonage says I can connect with the PURCHASE of another modem/router - yet verizon says I can not. I'm extremely frustrated with this issue and am getting to the point where I am about to cancel my Vonage service. No one is telling me which modem/router I need.

A client of mine networked all of my computers together again (3) - so at least that works. But he was unable to connect all of them to the internet - much less Vonage. I need to find out what modem/router I need to make all this work.

Any help? pls.
kdf55
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wireless Bridge
You need a wireless ethernet adapter like in the link above
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am somewhat familiar with the type of connection you have. From what you stated, you are paying Verzion Wireless for your internet. This means that you most likely have the USB720 which look likes a USB flash drive but provides internet over the Cellar network.

So everyone you spoke to is essentially telling you the truth. Verizon can't give you another modem because this is the type of modem that gets you Wireless Internet on a cellular network. Vonage is also telling you the truth because you do need a modem with an ethernet port to connect to Vonage's adapter. Vonage cannot support this type of setup.

So a few problems here.

1) This modem allows only a single PC to obtain internet at a time.
2) It can be shared with all your PC's and Vonage but it will teake technical know how and patience. This is not an easy task. This is something I can do with my eyes closed but it is difficult to walk someone through.
3) Vonage may or may not work over this connection but this will all depend upon the Cellular network your on, the protocols they will support, whether or not they will compress your packets, and the overall signal you have.

In a nut shell, what you got from Verizon is a cell phone without the phone. It will allow a PC to use the EVDO network. A requirement for Vonage or any router for that matter is that you have a physical ethernet connection that can provide internet. Since you don't have one, you have to make your own.

To do this will require you to already have a switch which you may have since you mentioned your PC's were already networked together on your local LAN. You then need to turn the PC that is connected to the Verizon wireless modem into a router.

This is done by enabling Internet Connection Sharing on the Verizon Wireless connection. This will then make the Wireless connection interface the router's WAN port and the PC's internal ethernet card into the router's LAN port. You will then connect the ethernet card from this PC to the switch. Connect all the other PC's to the switch and also connect the Vonage adapters WAN port to the switch. You may also need a crossover cable if the equipment you are using is not autosensing. This crossover cable would connect from the main PC's ethernet card into the switch. You will also have to make sure that Vonage does not get put behind any additional routers. All PC based firewalls on the main PC will need to be configured or disabled in order to allow Vonage and other things to communicate over this shared connection.

There are many sites that instruct on how to set up Internet Connection Sharing. Some are better then others but all will be able to explain it and provide visual aids. Please keep in mind, this is not an easy task for someone not familiar with basic networking and troubleshooting skills.

Hope this kind of provided you with the answer you were looking for.
ksig
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ValleyGirl,

Look into the following as a solution. http://www.kyocera-wireless.com/kr2-router/

This is a router made by Kyocera that makes a wifi/wired network out of your Verizon Cell Internet connection. You plug the Verizon USB modem into the router and it makes that internet connection act like a standard DSL/cable modem connection. You then plug your Vonage ATA into the back of the kyocera. You can also plug you standard computers into the back of the kyocera router as well. Your internet connection will act in more of a "traditional" broad band fashion.

Linksys also makes a router similar to this but it only works with Verizon PC Cards rather than the USB modem.
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Great find ksig.

I knew it would only be time before someone made a product like this. Only problem is at $200.00 it could be considered pricey by most.
ValleyGirl
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks everyone. I'm still confused on this issue. I've been referred to the following methods and I am not sure which is best/right.

How do I know which modem I have that is compatible with either or both of these -

My modem is a USB727

Cradlepoint MBR1000 EVDO Router = 219.00
The Cradlepoint MBR1000 supports most Sprint and Verizon ExpressCards and USB EVDO modems, many phones/PDAS, and several modems and phones from other carriers. Be sure to check our 3G Router Compatibility Chart that lists compatible devices before you purchase a 3G router.

http://www.evdoinfo.com/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,115/

http://3gstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=35&products_id=765

http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/2259/63/

KR2 Mobile Router = 219.00
Note: You MUST have an active 1xEV-DO PC Card, Express Card or 1xEV-DO handset* in order to use the Kyocera KR2 Router!
*1xEV-DO-capable handsets that can be used as a modem (support tethered data), may be compatible with the Kyocera KR2 Mobile Router. Please refer to your service provider for detailed feature information.

http://store.kyocera-wireless.com/product_detail.aspx?productID=5251

I'm liking VonTechMgr's solution but don't know if it's feasable, in my situation. ....help. Sad
ksig
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Valleygirl,

What you end up choosing is entirely up to you. If you're a bit technical in nature, it is harmless to try and use VonTechMgr's method. I will forewarn you that it can be complicated on your first shot to use ICS with Windows. Also - One negative using ICS. The primary "host" computer that hosts the internet for everything else has to be online 24/7 for Vonage and the other p.c.'s to access the internet.

I found your modem on VZW's website. http://support.vzw.com/phones/index.html?m=&p=3304

The device should work with either of the EVDO routers. I've personally never used either the Kyocera or the Cradlepoint. I've seen the Linksys http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1175242816711&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=1671139789B09 in use but that model won't work for you because it doesn't accept USB modems. I've read several articles on the Kyocera and it appears to be well liked. However, the router is only as good as the service you receive with the EVDO/3G provider.

Regardless of what you choose, make sure that you can return the item for full value if it doesn't work. If you can, it makes all three options (ICS, Cradlepoint or Kyocera) viable.

Finally, shop around. You can sometimes find deals on the net. I just did a quick pricegrabber and found the KR2 for $199.95.

Hope this helps...