Sign up
 Vonage  

       
 
Vonage Forum Menu

Vonage Forums
Vonage VoIP Forum
ElalfZek Posted:
cheap coach purses
Some sections are
fairly sound,
nevertheless the
general
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
mcm shoulder bag 761727408
On Nov 19, 2017 at 02:16:33

mikebrown Posted:
Hello
there, Please
check out -
http://www.vonage-
forum.com/home-wir
ing-installation-g
uide.html
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Hardwiring in a Rental House
On Oct 24, 2017 at 22:29:48

mikebrown Posted:
Hello, I think
you should consult
it with the Expert
they can surely
help you
...

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
Hardwiring in a Rental House
On Jun 24, 2017 at 09:15:34

Haniltery Posted:
For wipe call
history also some
of the offline, in
gengral , it
usually apply to
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
How to Delete call history from online account?
On May 09, 2017 at 06:14:26

diana87 Posted:
You have to use
VPN service to
bypass
Geo-restrictions
and get free
access while
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Recent calling problem from Egypt
On May 02, 2017 at 17:28:06

dconnor Posted:
What is the main
number on the
account? And
which one is the
virtual number?
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 18:52:02

Trafford Posted:
Seems like a
simple
question. We
rely exclusively
on a Vonage system
for our
...

In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
How do you call 999
On Apr 27, 2017 at 10:42:50

diazou Posted:
Hello, It's
compatible with
Android your phone
software
? Thanks!
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Mar 28, 2017 at 12:42:33

jeddaisg Posted:
Hi all We have
a Vonage VOIP
system for our
office. Lately,
our call quality
...

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Ethernet Cable; Wiring schematic? 568-B?
On Feb 23, 2017 at 18:33:52

beast321 Posted:
I don't know if
you heard, that
many more
Dreamcast games
are opened up
recently.
...

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Using phone as a dial up modem for Dreamcast Gaming
On Feb 16, 2017 at 03:16:51


Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Expands International Presence with Investments in Asia Pacific Region

Vonage to Present at the Oppenheimer 20th Annual Technology, Internet & Communications Conference

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months



Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!
Review: My First Day With Vonage, Excellent!



Great Price, No Complaints
Great Price, No Complaints



You need some common sense.
You need some common sense.



Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...
Vonage Customer Review: One month with Vonage, and...




Vonage Reviews


Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
Author Message
flex
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Dec 25, 2008
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Two phones on the same call? Reply with quote Back to top

This might be a really dumb question, but on my old landline. One person could be on the phone downstairs and I could be on another phone upstairs both participating on the same phone call, anyone could just pick up aany phone in the house and join the conversation. I can't seem to do this with Vonage. Is this just the way it is with Voip? or have I configured something incorrectly?
View user's profile Send private message
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 656
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The question is how does your phone connect to the Vonage telephone adapter? If you only have 1 phone plugged into the telephone adapter then only that 1 phone is operating through the Vonage service.

Do you still have a line from the local telephone company at your house?

Your options to add more phones would vary depending upon cost and technical ability.

1) disconnect the demarcation point and plug the Vonage telephone adapter into a telephone jack in the wall which then outputs signal to all the other phones in the house.

2) buy a cordless phone system that has a base unit with multiple cordless phones.

3) buy wireless phone jacks.
View user's profile Send private message
flex
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Dec 25, 2008
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

VonTechMgr wrote:
The question is how does your phone connect to the Vonage telephone adapter? If you only have 1 phone plugged into the telephone adapter then only that 1 phone is operating through the Vonage service.

Do you still have a line from the local telephone company at your house?

Your options to add more phones would vary depending upon cost and technical ability.

1) disconnect the demarcation point and plug the Vonage telephone adapter into a telephone jack in the wall which then outputs signal to all the other phones in the house.

2) buy a cordless phone system that has a base unit with multiple cordless phones.

3) buy wireless phone jacks.



I have cancelled the landline service so the jacks are free. I connected my Vonage adapter directly into the landline port and the signal went to my other jacks upstairs, gaining the desired effect. Thanks.

This works with the two old corded phones I have lying around and is a good temporary workaround. However, my Uniden cordless system which consists of 3 phones with a single base unit does not seem to share the calls, perhaps this is a limitation of this particular cordless system as I have owned it for quite a few years. My goal would be to allow multiple people in different rooms to participate on the same call while ditching the corded phones. Perhaps it may be time for a new set of cordless phones. Thanks for your help.
View user's profile Send private message
kdf55
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jun 30, 2007
Posts: 373
Location: Highland, IL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
However, my Uniden cordless system which consists of 3 phones with a single base unit does not seem to share the calls, perhaps this is a limitation of this particular cordless system as I have owned it for quite a few years. My goal would be to allow multiple people in different rooms to participate on the same call while ditching the corded phones. Perhaps it may be time for a new set of cordless phones. Thanks for your help.


It really depends on the cordless system. Some systems will not allow another phone on the line while one is talking (privacy issues). You will have to check to see if it allows more than one phone to talk at a time.
View user's profile Send private message
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 656
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you just plug the Vonage adapter directly into the jack without disconnecting the wires at your Dmarc? Just because you no longer have service with your local phone company does not mean that there isn't voltage in the wiring. While the wires in the Dmarc still connect to those at the pole, this leaves low voltage on the line. Enough so that even without dial tone, you could still connect up a phone and dial 911.

If this voltage is present, it will damage the Vonage adapter phone ports over time. Please make sure that the wiring coming into the Dmarc has been properly disconnected in order to prevent you from having service issues and a defective device.

As for the Uniden phones, just as kdf55 said, this could be a limitation to the phone or it could be a setting in the base unit. I have a few years older model Uniden 5.8ghz base unit with 3 handsets and I can go from phone to phone during a call. The model is the TRU8865-2 with an additional TCX800 handset. I went through my menu options on the base unit and handsets and there isn't any setting for something like this.


Last edited by VonTechMgr on Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message
roscopco
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>


Joined: Nov 08, 2006
Posts: 1326

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

my Vtech phones won't let me listen in on a conversation or pick up once the phone has been answered.
View user's profile Send private message
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 656
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That does make sense as security feature however I would think that phones that restrict calls to one phone have a setting to disable this. If the base unit treats each phone as a separate extension once answered, there should be a feature that disables extension isolation. For example, if the battery in one phone is about to die during mid conversation, there has to be a way to pick the call up on another phone.

Update: After just doing quick research it seems many phones were made this way and the people who own them are very disappointed that they are unable to use more then one handset at a time. The only thing that can be done is transfer the call from one handset to another on some models.
View user's profile Send private message
flex
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Dec 25, 2008
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

VonTechMgr wrote:
Did you just plug the Vonage adapter directly into the jack without disconnecting the wires at your Dmarc? Just because you no longer have service with your local phone company does not mean that there isn't voltage in the wiring. While the wires in the Dmarc still connect to those at the pole, this leaves low voltage on the line. Enough so that even without dial tone, you could still connect up a phone and dial 911.

If this voltage is present, it will damage the Vonage adapter phone ports over time. Please make sure that the wiring coming into the Dmarc has been properly disconnected in order to prevent you from having service issues and a defective device.

As for the Uniden phones, just as kdf55 said, this could be a limitation to the phone or it could be a setting in the base unit. I have a few years older model Uniden 5.8ghz base unit with 3 handsets and I can go from phone to phone during a call. The model is the TRU8865-2 with an additional TCX800 handset. I went through my menu options on the base unit and handsets and there isn't any setting for something like this.


Oops, I did just that. I guess I need to do some homework before I go this route as I certainly don't want to damage the new equipment. I will start doing a few searches here, so I don't fill this thread with questions that have been answered a thousand times but is the DMARC disconnect something I should attempt on my own? or Would it be better left for the telco? I think I am going to go out and buy a new set of DECT cordless phones as I have heard they don't interfere with the WI-FI signals I have all over my home. I have 4 wireless routers so I can get WI-FI over my entire property. Honestly, I got alot of bad reviews of Vonage from friends, but I see nothing wrong with the service. For the limited usage that my home phone sees, this is the best deal ever.
View user's profile Send private message
flex
New Forum Member
New Forum Member


Joined: Dec 25, 2008
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

VonTechMgr wrote:
That does make sense as security feature however I would think that phones that restrict calls to one phone have a setting to disable this. If the base unit treats each phone as a separate extension once answered, there should be a feature that disables extension isolation. For example, if the battery in one phone is about to die during mid conversation, there has to be a way to pick the call up on another phone.

Update: After just doing quick research it seems many phones were made this way and the people who own them are very disappointed that they are unable to use more then one handset at a time. The only thing that can be done is transfer the call from one handset to another on some models.


I guess I am one of those unlucky ones, but phones are fairly cheap these days and hopefully the new spectrum will not interfere with my wi-fi setup. With the money I am saving over the old landline, I will have paid for the new phones in about 2 months. I'll just make sure that the phones work the way tha I want them to. Do you know of any 3 or 4 handset models, that will allow me to share a call? I doubt the sales rep will know anything about it.
View user's profile Send private message
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist


Joined: Jan 02, 2008
Posts: 656
Location: NJ

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was actually looking into getting new DECT 6.0 phones so I just took a look for you. It seems the new phones will allow only 2 handsets to be on a call at the same time. I looked over the user manuals and they say that when the first phone is on the call, the second phone just needs to hit the flash or speakerphone button to join the call. So it might not be what your looking for if you would like to have more then 2 handsets on a call simultaneously.

http://www.vtechphones.com/vtechui/store/dsp_products_list.cfm?parent=23560

Pull up a user manual and search for Conference under Telephone Operation.

The Panasonic phones can conference in up to 2 handsets as well. I have looked at some of these models because they also offer call blocking of numbers you don't want calling you and talking caller ID.

http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Phones-Fax/Telephones/DECT-6-0-Phones.list.75070_11002_7000000000000005702

The Uniden phones I looked at also say they can conference in up to 2 handsets with an external caller.

http://www.uniden.com/products/productlisting.cfm?cat=Cordless%20Phones%20DECT%206.0

So you will have to shop around and read through the user manuals to find the features you really want.
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


All times are GMT - 5 Hours

Vonage Service Plans


Vonage VoIP Members
Members List Members
New patsykf3
New Today 0
Yesterday 0
Total 101029

Who Is On Site
Visitors 1
Members 0
Total 1


Vonage VoIP Forum Members:
Login Here
Not a Member? You can Register Here
As a registered member you will have access to the VoIP Speed Test, Vonage Service Announcements and post comments in the
Vonage VoIP Forums

Site Search
 






†AK and HI residents pay $29.95 shipping. ††Limited time offer. Valid for residents of the United States (&DC), 18 years or older, who open new accounts. Offer good while supplies last and only on new account activations. One kit per account/household. Offer cannot be combined with any other discounts, promotions or plans and is not applicable to past purchases. Good while supplies last. Allow up to 2 weeks for shipping. Other restrictions may apply.

1Unlimited calling and other services for all residential plans are based on normal residential, personal, non-commercial use. A combination of factors is used to determine abnormal use, including but not limited to: the number of unique numbers called, calls forwarded, minutes used and other factors. Subject to our Reasonable Use Policy and Terms of Service.

2Shipping and activation fees waived with 1-year agreement. An Early Termination Fee (with periodic pro-rated reductions) applies if service is terminated before the end of the first 12 months. Additional restrictions may apply. See Terms of Service for details.

HIGH SPEED INTERNET REQUIRED. †VALID FOR NEW LINES ONLY. RATES EXCLUDE INTERNET SERVICE, SURCHARGES, FEES AND TAXES. DEVICE MAY BE REFURBISHED. If you subscribe to plans with monthly minutes allotments, all call minutes placed from both from your home and registered ExtensionsTM phones will count toward your monthly minutes allotment. ExtensionsTM calls made from mobiles use airtime and may incur surcharges, depending on your mobile plan. Alarms, TTY and other systems may not be compatible. Vonage 911 service operates differently than traditional 911. See www.vonage.com/911 for details.

** Certain call types excluded.

www.vonage-forum.com is not an official Vonage support website & is independently operated.
All logos and trademarks are property of their respective owners. All comments are property of their posters.
All other www.vonage-forum.com content is © Copyright 2002 - 2013 by 4Sight Media LLC.

Thinking of signing up for Vonage but have questions?
Business and Residential customers can call Toll Free 24 hours a day at: 1-888-692-8074
No Vonage Promotion Code or Coupon Codes are required at www.vonage.com to receive any special,
best Vonage cheap deals, free sign up offers or discounts.

[ | | | | | ]

Vonage Forum Site Maps

Vonage | VoIP Forum | How VoIP Works | Wiring and Installation Page Two | International Rate Plans 2 | Internet Phone
Promotion | Vonage Review | VoIP | Broadband Phone | Free Month | Rebate | Vonnage | Vontage | VoIP | Phone Service
Phone | llamadas ilimitadas a Mexico | Latest News | VoIP Acronyms | Deal | Philippines Globe Phone | Site Maps

The Vonage Forum provides the Vonage sign up Best Offer Promotion Deal.
If you are considering signing up for Vonage and have found our Vonage News, Customer Reviews, Forums
& all other parts of this site useful, please use our Vonage Sign up page.


Vonage VoIP Phone Service is redefining communications by offering consumers
& small business VoIP Internet phones, an affordable alternative to traditional phone service.
The Vonage VoIP Forum Generated This Page In: 0.26 Seconds and Pages In The Last 60 Seconds
The Vonage VoIP Forum