In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
kilgrave
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Surprised billing Reply with quote Back to top

I was very surprised this morning to find out that I would not be receiving a credit for the 28 days left on my monthly charges. I have been with Vonage for over 2 years and only now stoping service because I will be without a phone for 6 months min. My credit card was charged 3 days ago, but the CS rep. told me that Vonage does not credit for lack of use. I was very shocked as I had always thought Vonage to be an ethical business and not one so short-sighted as to want to push away customers.
I am like many other people out there that did not read the 12 pages of policies that explain how companies have legal right to take my money for a service that I will not be able to use.
It is very sad however, that I was giving Vonage free marketing to my friends, family and neighbors, about how great their service was; and now, I will have to tell them to pick a more ethical business to use for IP service.
Vonage, you should rethink this policy. With other companies offering pricing deals that make their service cheaper then your, you should be focused on providing an environment that makes please want to come back. By closing the door in people's faces with this non-credit for non-usage crap, all you are doing is making people remember a negative of you company instead of the positive.
kamnet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Did you talk to an actual account manager and ask about having the prorated amount refunded? If not, then consider calling them again. Considering you have been a customer for two years, perhaps they may be able to suspend your service until you return? This would seem a better option than just canceling your service.

That said, this is not an uncommon practice in many businesses where you pay for services in advance. I doubt you will find any other Voip providers who do not do this. You may be able to get this sort of billing from a traditional phone company, but they are often governed by various sanctioning and government agencies, and thus have to use different rules.
kilgrave
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, I talked to an account manager (CS rep gave me the manager) and he told me the same thing. "No credit for non-use!" Flat out response, no room for debate.
I was very upset by this point after being a good customer for some many years and with the good press that I had giving them.

I agree, that I will be hard pressed to find a company that does not require a pre-paid billing, but you better bet that I will be paying whatever the cost if I find that company out there that is treating customers right and not "stealing" money for services not used.
kamnet
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

So you are willing to pay more in monthly cost for a service where you may need to stop your billing and receive a pro-rated refund for less than 30 days of service? How often do you really need to do this? Clearly not often if you have been a continuous customer for two years. Do you expect to be doing this more frequently?
kilgrave
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I am willing to help a company stay profitable if they are doing ethical business practices in today environment. The simple fact is that we (consumers) have the power to change the world and how companies operate by supporting the good ones and firing the bad.
This power will cost us money and time, because the companies that are doing right by the customer (do onto those as you would have done onto you) will be struggling in the market compared to the big monster companies that keep money that is not theirs.

In my case, I would more for service (if still affordable in the market) with a company that does not lock customers into unreasonable contracts, charges cancel fees, and that make the customer the focus, even when that customer is leaving them.
Look at cable TV, people go back and forwarth between cable companies and satellite dish. If I was one of these companies, I would tell that customer that was leaving to (try the other company), "we will miss you, but please remember the customer service you received with us and return when you can. Here is your refund, how can I help you further." I would have higher rates, but my customers would stay (or comeback) because of the customer service they received..... That is what has changed today, no customer service. The live phone of the phones are now customer NO-service. They are pressured, taught how not to help a person in my opinion.
kilgrave
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

WOW!, Sorry for the bad spelling. Spell check does not seem to be working for me.... and I have not been doing my part of proof reading..... sorry to everyone that had to read my last post...... ouch.
ed56
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Not uncommon. And I agree, beyond the "contract", it is like the last drop of blood.

After getting Vonage and contact book, I decided to drop the $15.00 per month LD on my POTS line. I keep it for some business calls and primarily for an alarm system and a virtual line that has distinctive ring to my fax. After cancelling the LD, I noticed a 5.95 monthly charge for the privelege of making LD calls for $0.10 per minute. I called and asked that I have NO Long distance, which cost me a $5.95 disconect fee! BTW I am a 30+ year customer!

Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

LOL, thanks to the feds, that's one place that the Bells can get you - if you do not declare a long distance plan, they can actually charge you a fee for not having one! The rationale is that if somebody uses your phone to make a bunch of LD calls, they still have to honor them, they still have to use their default LD carrier to connect them, and somebody still has to pay them.

That was actually the straw that made me start considering leaving my company. I signed up with an Internet-based company that offered me a flat per-minute fee plan that qualified as a LD carrier.
DLevenson
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

kamnet wrote:
LOL, thanks to the feds, that's one place that the Bells can get you - if you do not declare a long distance plan, they can actually charge you a fee for not having one! The rationale is that if somebody uses your phone to make a bunch of LD calls, they still have to honor them, they still have to use their default LD carrier to connect them, and somebody still has to pay them.

Actually, the rational for the NO-PIC fee is that all long distance carriers are required to subsidize local carriers. This is a federally-mandated subsidy. It is left over from the days when AT&T was the monopoly long distance carrier and also owner local exchange companies. Long distance rates were set higher than necessary in order to allow local rates to be below cost for some subscribers. It's called Universal Service. Today, your preferred carrier pays your local exchange carrier for the privilege of being your preferred carrier. If you select no preferred carrier, then you pay the subsidy yourself!

Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Except that I didn't tell them that I didn't have a preferred carrier, I told them that I wanted NO long distance. If it's not a local call or a toll free number being dialed, I wanted it disable. BellSouth insisted that it was impossible to do. Quite the absurdity.