In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The issue is because your on a different network then the LAN of the WAP54G. You need to configure a static IP of 192.168.1.100 on your PC's wireless interface. You will then be able use the setup wizard because it will be on the same network to see it or you can log in manually. While your PC is getting an IP passed to it via DHCP from the VT2442, you wont be able to reach the WAP54G at the 192.168.1.245 address. That is why setting up a simple static IP just to configure the WAP54G will resolve this for you. Once you have configured the WAP's security, you can switch back to DHCP on the PC.

Once your in the WAP54G, I also recommend changing the LAN IP on the WAP54G to an IP on the 192.168.15.0 network so that you can log into it in the future without going through all this.
bellbuster
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have got to get this going and I appreciate that I have your attention.

Keeping it simple, and please....step by step instructions...."do this, do that" (right click here...etc).

Here is what I have.

My wired PC connected to the VT2442.
Mt WAP54G connected to the VT2442.

I've done a sequential power up and I HAVE A CONNECTION ON THE LAPTOP, but it's unsecured. It shows an IP of 192.168.1.246 (when I look at TCP/IP properties for that connection, on the laptop). It also shows a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and nothing under DNS.

OK.....so I HAVE THE CONNECTION.

The laptop, by the way, uses a cisco air350 wireless g card.

I CAN LOGON TO THE LINKSYS SITE with the laptop using the unsecured connection.....BUT.......from everything I've read, YOU CAN NOT SET UP THE WAP54G from a wireless connection.

IT HAS TO BE FROM YOUR WIRED PC. (let's confirm this)?

AND....

I CAN'T access the wap54g from the wired pc.....either from the setup wizard (doesn't recognize the linksys) OR from the web site (doesn't connect).

Based on what I've layed out here.....

Please, a step by step (do this-do that) to get it working.

I've tried even going into the VT2442 site and did this and that but it can't be manipulated......(or the phone won't work).

I remember when I setup the VT2442 a year ago it was a nightmare too because I had bought it off Ebay. It took me half a day to get it going.

This is crazy.
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This is fairly simple and I have the easiest way for you to do this. Do you know how to change an IP from DHCP to static IP? That is all you will need to do.

On the hard wired PC, assign a static IP of 192.168.1.100 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Nothing else such as DNS or Default GW is important as this is temporary. Once you put this IP address on your hardwired computer, you can use it's web browser to reach 192.168.1.245.

This is because the WAP54G is connected to the same switch as the hardwired computer and both will then be considered on the same network.

Here is also an article that describes how to setup the WAP54G.

http://seoroot.com/blog/networking/how-to-configure-a-linksys-wap54g-access-point.html

If your running windows XP on the hardwired computer, this article will explain how to do it. If you have a different Operating system, let me know.

http://www.hotcomm.com/FAQ/FAQ_staticIPXP.asp
bellbuster
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for reply.

So I'll go to the wired pc to set the IP.

I go to the "network connections"?

Click on lan4 (where my pc is) and under tcp/iip properties it says....obtain automatically (for ip and dns)....no addresses are listed.

This is where I enter the IP and subnet, correct?

I'll try that.....then i think I may be good to go.

Will let you know.....thanks.
bellbuster
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All is well.

Simple really -- so in case anyone searches.... (VT2442 and WAP54G)

The WAP54G HAS to be set up on the wired PC.

(1) on main PC...

network connections > tcp/ip > properties....

unclick obtain IP and DNS automatically and use under IP settings....

disregard dns settings.

close and "continue anyway" on any popups that appear.

(2) Now you can setup the WAP54G on their site (http://192.168.1.245)....BUT you CAN NOT use the linksys setup wizard.

(3) Setup the WAP54G -- name the SSID and write down ONE of the 4 keys it generates for WEP encryption.

Close and exit the main PC and go to laptop.

The new connection should appear prompting you for the key.

Go back to main PC > network connections > tcp/ip > properties and recheck "obtain IP and DNS automatically".

DONE

WHY A STEP BY STEP HASN'T BEEN POSTED BEFORE IS BEYOND ME.
VonTechMgr
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Glad you were able to set it up. That's what makes this forum a great place.
Zaibotsu
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

ed56 wrote:
Zaibotsu

You probably need a little basic information about NAT routers and firewalls. Actually a NAT router is sometimes called a circuit firewall. NAT stands for Network Address Translation. Consider a PUBLIC IP address that is on the WAN side (the internet) of your router. Without a router, anyone on the intenet can address your computer directly with that public IP address, on any port your PC is open to (and there are a lot!).

Insert the NAT router in between, and anyone trying to access your computer from the outside has a dead end at the router, as it does not know what INTERNAL ADDRESS to forward the request to, and by default blocks MOST ports anyway.

When you are on the WEB, using a browser, and going through the NAT router, YOU initiate a connection through Port 80, which is open by default on the NAT router for traffic initiated BY YOU. The Router knows through the translation, that you made the request and allows the response to your internal IP. Traffic initiated on the oustside on port 80 stops at the router.

Configuring port forwarding for a game works much the same way as allowing you to initiate communication with a browser and sholuld not be any more risky than ordinary web surfing.

However, setting a DMZ (this allows all traffic to be forwarded to your computer) is like hooking your computer directly to the internet, not a good idea.

More information (easier to understand than most sites) is available at http://computer.howstuffworks.com/nat.htm
I took even more time & disconnected my router & connected my internet directly to the computer, & tried the game again online. & the same thing I'm still able to get in the lobby but not able to join a room to play a game. I never had this problem before when I was online back in May, I just had my internet turned on 4days ago, could it be my network connection settings?