In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to be noised abroad wifi password?
On Mar 30, 2016 at 18:48:05

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
sfmcfar
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Confused - can anybody help? Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

These are my results:

Download 422,800 bps
Upload 373,960 bps
QOS 41%
RTT 68 ms
MaxPause 751 ms

However, I can go to other broadband performance sites and achieve download speeds at anywhere from 1 to 3 Mbps, which frankly makes more sense, since I have a Comcast cable connection. I'd like to switch to Voip, but I'm concerned about these numbers. Can anybody explain why these are so bad?

Thanks,

-stan
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

robh2: 384kbps upload is standard for a lot of people. some people are still stuck at 256kbps (comcast seems to be that way, at least in some areas) 6mbps (download speed) is the standard in some areas, and in some areas it's a business class or a premium offering (along with most people's 8mbps...extra fee associated) nothing real new or out of the ordinary. one cable isp recently came out with 10mbps down and I don't remember how much up. I think it's called mach10.

sfmcfar: download speed is probably wrong, but upload speed is mainly what matters, and you look like you're right on track with what your isp is offering. if you want a better indication of how your Voip calls will be, run testyourvoip.com detailed results a few times (at different times). it's a pretty good indicator.

Last edited by reebok on Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
robh2
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Thanks John Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks John for your help. Very Happy
sfmcfar
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, John.
tonygeno
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I upgraded to Adelphia premier service ( 6000 up 768 down) and when running the speed test could only achieve QoS between 15% and 45%. The test said my speed could support 12 lines most of the time. This didn't seem right so I called Adelphia this evening and reverted back to the regular high speed service. Now my QoS is 95% and up and the maximum lines is down to 6. Anyone care to venture why the QoS would be so much better with the slower service?
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you understand what qos means in this case, so read here first:
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic3360-20.html
and based on that, I would say it's because it's much easier to sustain a max download speed on a slower speed (though you didn't say what the actual speed was) than a higher speed (which can be and apparently is in your case, more volatile)
max lines is based on upload speed only (and 12 does seem a bit high for 768, not sure about that)
at any rate, you have plenty of bandwith for Voip, your only concern should be testyourvoip.com, detailed results.

tonygeno
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

In going back to the slower speed, my results at testyourvoip.com have also improved. MOS has been in the 4.2 to 4.4 range after the switch. It was 3.8 to 4.2 on the high speed connection.ln additon, the golden phone test was giving me between 2.7 to 3.5 on the high speed connection. Now I'm in the 4.0 to 4.4 range. On the high speed connection, I was getting lots of packet loss.
diami03
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: Tweak Reply with quote Back to top

I currently have my Vonage box connected to a Linksys Wireless Router/AP. I have an internal Server that performs DHCP and a hardware firewall.

I do not have the greatest QoS.
Download 4,844,720 bps
Upload 128,536 bps
QOS 20%
RTT 46 ms
MaxPause 797 ms
And can only make a maximum of 1 High quality call.

Is there something I can configure on either of my routers to provide a better throughput? Does Vonage work on a particular port? The "Voice" option in the web GUI doesn't give me any options. It just tells me to contact my phone provider. I am thinking that maybe there would be something there I could configure to make the connection better. Because in another 3 weeks, I expect to have a second line up and running and I can't imagine what kind of phone calls we are going to have.....
reebok
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

should probably start a new thread.

edit: whoops, I guess you did.
http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic4933.html

Mick
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Download 7,228,296 bps
Upload 1,219,216 bps
QOS 97%
RTT 66 ms
MaxPause 50 ms

Don't hate me because I'm FiOS!

This was taken from my wireless laptop w/802.11g D-link NIC and Router