In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to be noised abroad wifi password?
On Mar 30, 2016 at 18:48:05

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
roscopco
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Internet companies have the key phrase speeds up to ...... there was a show here in Canada on that and not many people got the max output that was listed.

With regards to why you can't run the test, maybe you don't have java installed.
larry77
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It seems I'm doing better than in the past and capable of 26 lines Surprised

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 11146552 bps
Upload speed: 1566784 bps
Quality of service: 77 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum download pause: 54 ms
Average download pause: 2 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 46 ms
Average round trip time to server: 84 ms

Voip test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 3.2 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 9.9 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Number of supported Voip lines: 26
Estimated MOS score: 4.0
sj2
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Cable QOS Reply with quote Back to top

dconnor wrote:
Quality of Service (QOS): What is quality of service? If these graphs represent typical download rates over time from two different broadband Internet providers, both providing an average of 3 Mbps, which service provider should get the higher quality of service rating?

[
Cable Modem: On a high quality cable modem network, you can expect a QOS in the 90's or 80's. However, because you have the potential for sharing your connection with everyone in your neighborhood, some low quality networks will see lower numbers, sometimes even below 10!

What do they mean by potential for sharing my connection with the neighborhood? And what happens when the QOS goes below 10?

SMC Router now in front of the RTP300.
What more information is helpful?
Smile
Vonage Voip Analysis
Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a max
larry77
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable QOS Reply with quote Back to top

sj2 wrote:

What do they mean by potential for sharing my connection with the neighborhood? And what happens when the QOS goes below 10?

Cable internet is shared amongst the neighbors on your node. I forgot the number of maximum users per node, but I think its somewhere around 200 to 300. A node can span from a 1/2 a mile to 2 miles. DSL uses telephone lines as it means of internet connections, but is slower in bandwidth. The positive is you have your own individual line and arent affected by others.

QOS is drastically affected by the constant fluctuation of Cable internet, while DSL is affected by only you and the fluctuation is minimal. Its kinda like trying to read a newspaper while someone is jumping up and down on the bed. You can read the paper just fine if its only you on the bed Wink
sj2
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable QOS Reply with quote Back to top

larry77 wrote:
sj2 wrote:

Cable internet is shared amongst the neighbors on your node. I forgot the number of maximum users per node, but I think its somewhere around 200 to 300. A node can span from a 1/2 a mile to 2 miles. DSL uses telephone lines as it means of internet connections, but is slower in bandwidth. The positive is you have your own individual line and arent affected by others.

QOS is drastically affected by the constant fluctuation of Cable internet, while DSL is affected by only you and the fluctuation is minimal. Its kinda like trying to read a newspaper while someone is jumping up and down on the bed. You can read the paper just fine if its only you on the bed Wink

Thank you for that explanation- so, which is better? Cable or DSL?

SMC Router now in front of the RTP300.
What more information is helpful?
Smile
Vonage Voip Analysis
Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a max
ed56
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cable QOS Reply with quote Back to top

sj2 wrote:
larry77 wrote:
sj2 wrote:

Thank you for that explanation- so, which is better? Cable or DSL?

see http://www.high-speed-internet-access-guide.com/dsl-vs-cable.html

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I've had Vonage for over 2 years and just found out about the speed test in this forum while searching for tweaking Voip connections.

Here are my results with a Cox connection. I ran the trest 3 times and received 3 different Qos results with 64 being the lowest and below the highest.

Vinny in Rhode Island

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 10869376 bps
Upload speed: 2084040 bps
Quality of service: 81 %
Maximum download pause: 22 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 20 ms
Average round trip time to server: 69 ms

Voip test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.7 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.9 ms
Number of supported Voip lines: 35

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 27 simultaneous high quality Vonage® Voip connections.
plumpkatt1
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Think I'll have any troubles? Cool I signed up with Vonge last weekend.

I am on Comcast paying for a 6 meg/384 connection. Took 3 tries to get these results. Once the Qos hit in the low 80's. I have 2 other modems connected to this coax via a 4 way splitter. The other 2 modems fluctuate with their Qos ratings sometimes dropping to 31%.That is on an older surfboard 4101 Docis 1.0 though and it only gets 6 megs dows 2 megs up. These results below are with a Surfboard 5100 cable modem.

I like this bandwidth test. Its much better than just uploading and downloading a standard 100 meg file and measuring the time.

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 20793400 bps
Upload speed: 2851584 bps
Quality of service: 99 %
Maximum download pause: 12 ms
Average download pause: 1 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 26 ms
Average round trip time to server: 56 ms

Voip test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 2.5 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 8.5 ms
Number of supported Voip lines: 48

Given your current Internet speeds, we estimate that your Internet connection can support a maximum of 38 simultaneous high quality Vonage® Voip connections.
plumpkatt1
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

snoopspecial wrote:
As I have posted many time before, and no one has really responded, I'll try yet again using QOS (great choice of name!, confuse the noobs even more when you explain how to set QoS)

Comcast - North of Boston, MA
Down: 3Mbps
Up: 256kbps

Linksys RT31P2 Settings: Voice QoS Upstream Rate = 110Kbps (gave a little padding to be on the safe side: bandwidth saver setting * 2 + 10 (in case there are two calling being spoken to - based on other postings in this forum))

Vonage.com bandwidth saver at 50kbps

Test 1: No Call
Download 3,175,416 bps
Upload 249,872 bps
QOS 98%
RTT 71 ms
MaxPause 16 ms

Test 2: Call from home phone to cell phone - making noise on both ends of line simultaneously
Download 430,664 bps
Upload 17,056 bps
QOS 15%
RTT 75 ms
MaxPause 922 ms

Okay - so here's my repeated comment... isn't this a bit ridiculous! Is there a way to prevent such a huge loss of bandwidth by the phone call. To have a 3Mbps line crawl on its knees!

I have posted many times with many different tests as well - and it boggles me that no one is really that concerned with such a huge loss.

The above tests are within seconds of each other, from the same computer, the only difference being on the call or not. And for any doubters, I'll repeat it again:

Test 3: No Call
Download 3,165,824 bps
Upload 240,272 bps
QOS 98%
RTT 70 ms
MaxPause 16 ms

Test 4: Call from home phone to cell phone - making noise on both ends of line simultaneously

Download 721,296 bps
Upload 17,520 bps
QOS 76%
RTT 88 ms
MaxPause 63 ms

Am I missing something here?

I have a Linksys wrtp54g and noticed that in its Qos setup, that everything is set to low priority as default. Such as HTTP, FTP, TELNET and so on.I havent ran any tests like you have but will to see.what happens tomorrow. I wonder if you set HTTP to medium or high what your results would change to.

I agree that is disturbing and that makes me wonder ablout the slower DSL customers that have uner a 1 meg connection. I have my Vonage adaptor(wrtp54g) connected to its own modem at the moment which has 6 megs down/2 megs up but it hits 31% sometimes on the QOS.. I have 2 other cable modems that power my home network.A buffalo wireless router ties the PC network together.I can tap into the Vonage network using the wrtp54g wireless connection.

My service has been really good so far.Especially once I got my firmware updated from 1.00.18(3 year old firmware) to 1.00.62 on the wrtp54g Vonage device. Not everyone is lucky enough to have several cable connections in 1 house though.
larry77
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Vonage phone quality with bad latency Reply with quote Back to top

Oversold neighborhood. Look at these results when I'm having a bad night and the phone is broken up

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 1044968 bps
Upload speed: 811368 bps
Quality of service: 14 %
Maximum download pause: 438 ms
Average download pause: 19 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 687 ms
Average round trip time to server: 692 ms

Voip test statistics