In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to be noised abroad wifi password?
On Mar 30, 2016 at 18:48:05

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage
AP123
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: 2008 - Gigabit Wireless Router Recomendations Reply with quote Back to top

Happy New Year To All!

There are a lot of recommendations for the WRT54G dating back to 2004 or before when I started using Vonage. I'd like to use a high quality gigabit, wireless router for my small business and hook up a PAP2 behind it.

Phone quality is imperative so good Qos is a must. I'm just not seeing the quality I'd like from the wireless phone adapters from Vonage so moving to a router/PAP2 is my next step.

I have a fast 10mb/1mb Time Warner Connection. Can anyone recomend a good gigabit/wireless router with good Qos? Something that will allow me to have good voice quality even when uploading files.

Thanks and best regards,
AP
roscopco
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some people have said to stay away from the all in one wireless routers, but I haven't had too many issues using the Linksys WRT54GP2. I have set up the QOS and am able to download torrent files and talk on the phone without any issues.

I have found that the router does lose its internet connection sometimes, but Linksys wireless router did that also before going with the combo unit.
AP123
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi roscopco - thanks for the response. Most have had good luck with your router but most problems occur with uploading files vs downloading.

I would like to reduce the amount of "boxes" and AC plugs I need. I think two is a sufficient limit. I'll need wireless and gigabit and of course a phone adapter.

Currently I have:
the Motorola VT2542 wireless router/phone adapter. I've been having difficultly with the device resetting, loosing my settings and difficulty setting up port forwarding. Call quality is so so - not nearly perfect.

From the VT2542 I then go to a gigabit switch.

Total two devices so I'm willing to look into a wireless gigabit router that has good Qos and then plug my PAP2 (spare)

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Motorola and the Linksys WRTP54G were both so so on call quality, but in the last four years I've had worse.

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm willing to spend some money to reduce the headaches for good call quality.

Thanks,
ap
butterman
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First I would suggest that you decide which is more important, gigabit ethernet or good QoS. I'm not saying that you can't get both, but your options are going to be limited when looking for both good QoS along with a gigabit router. (Especially if you have heavy internet or network usage)

In either case I would look to use aftermarket firmware on the router from Tomato or DD-WRT.

I don't think Tomato supports any gig routers at this time, but I think DD-WRT does. (but I think its beta firmware) I'm not a DD-WRT user so I can't speak to how stable this would or would not be.

If its worth the chance and you want to play around with it I would give one of the DD-WRT supported gigabit routers a try. If you don't want to risk it I would choose one of the standard supported routers with either Tomato or DD-WRT.

I use Tomato on a WRT54GL which works very well for me. I have 4 PCs, a Slingbox, an Apple TV, a Wii as well as 2 Vonage routers all hooked up to the GL. I use Vonage for work and for home and as long as my internet is up I get good quality phone calls.

Also I picked Tomato instead of DD-WRT simply because it was so easy to setup and configure.

So the bottom line I think is this.

You can try a gig router, but you probably won't get too many opinions on it from users along with Voip QoS. If you want a more stable option that you can get comments on from others I would stick with a 100mb router. In either case I would look to the 3rd party firmware options for your best QoS.

Network Setup: Motorola SB5101->Linksys WRT54GL (Running Tomato) ->RT31P2 & PAP2
AP123
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Butterman - thanks for the response.

I'd rather have good QoS - so I'll take your advise to heart.

Would I get the same QoS performance from the WRT54GP2 if I used Tomato or DD-WRT firmware? That way I can use one less device and Vonage will credit me $40.

I did find a user that installed DD-WRT on a WRT350N (gig router) but I don't want the headaches. Gigabit is important so I'll just keep the switch.

Thanks again,
AP
butterman
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

You can't load aftermarket firmware on the Vonage router so its not really an option.

In order to go down this route you need a separate router that is supported by either DD-WRT or Tomato. You'll need to see their sites for compatiable routers.

In general for Tomato you need a Linux based router. Here is the Wiki page for a list of devices and other info on the firmware.
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Tomato_Firmware

DD-WRT has a much larger supported list based on how it is loaded. Here is their page.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

I think Tomato is easier to setup (especially for QoS) but DD-WRT is supposed to be very good as well.

Hope this helps.

Network Setup: Motorola SB5101->Linksys WRT54GL (Running Tomato) ->RT31P2 & PAP2
rpaege
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Some good advice in this forum, many thanks to all. However, I'm not interested in a wireless gigabit router as I really have no need for wireless. I do need gigabit though, so I am thinking of buying a Cisco RVS4000, since I can get one for $112 including tax and shipping. I would need a Voip adapter to go with that too, so I'm thinkiing that a Cisco PAP2 adapter would fit the bill ($42).

Does anybody have any comments on this proposed setup? Is there any reason why I would be better off with one of the all-in-one wireless boxen with the Tomato firmware?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
butterman
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The best advise I can give is to make sure that whatever router you get has good QoS capabilities.

I don't know this router, so I can't comment on its capabilities.

The PAP2 should be fine for the phone connection.

rpaege
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

butterman wrote:
The best advise I can give is to make sure that whatever router you get has good QoS capabilities.

Thanks for the advice! It does have "QoS support" so I think I'll give it a try. I can always add a wireless bridge later if I need one.
rpaege
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm happy to report that I have the Linksys RVS4000 ($108 at Newegg) 4 port wired gigabit router up and running. It took me about 15 minutes to finish the basic setup.

I'm extremely pleased with the throughput. I had read some negative user reviews of this router, but I have not experienced any negative issues.

Throughput over the LAN is stunningly fast at full duplex 1000baseT speeds. My Comcast down/up speed is slightly above average for my area. I found that (after applying the latest firmware update and contrary to some user reviews) disabling DoS and WAN request protection made zero difference in throughput, so I am leaving them enabled.

This is an advance business series router/switch, which also includes QoS support, VPN and advanced routing features. The user-friendly interface is familiar to all who have used any Linksys router.

My old Vonage-supplied RT31P2 Linksys router simply occupies one port on the RVS4000 and required precisely zero additional configuration — it just worked after plugging it in. I also purchased a Linksys PAP2 adapter ($42) from another source, but I have no need for it so it will go back.

I have only had everything up and running for 24 hours now, but I will report back later if I encounter any problems. I'm not anticipating any issues given the ease of use so far.

At this point I can whole-heartedly recommend this router, especially if you can get it for the same price. It's an excellent value.