How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
Maaz
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:24 pm    Post subject: Linksys RT31P2 port disconnects Reply with quote Back to top

Has anyone experienced frequent port disconnects with the Linksys RT31P2? Basically, what is happening is that although my cable modem stays live, the RT31P2 router disconnects and reconnects its ports. This lasts for only 1-2 seconds and happens maybe every couple of hours though it seems to vary. My computer will say that the network cable is unplugged and then immediately says it is connected. My phone will say the line is in use during this time (I haven't had the problem when I was actually on the phone yet so I don't know if it would disconnect my call or just briefly interupt it).

I already sent Vonage an e-mail about it but wanted to know if anyone has an opinion on what the problem could be. I just got this thing yesterday and am tempted to exchange it for the regular phone adapter and buy my own router. I've previously used a different router without this problem. Also, no problems when cable modem is directly connected to computer.

Maaz
brian198120
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

That happens to me. I believe it is the router pinging the Vonage servers to keep the connection alive
Maaz
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm, well what's interesting is that it doesn't seem to do it much at night when I sleep, if at all. It happens a lot more during the day when I'm using the computer. Pinging shouldn't be causing port disconnects.

Maaz
L202
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not having this problem...I have all kindsa stuff on my network too - TZO, a server, etc etc. I had to reboot the router one time because it wasn't working properly, that's it.

Sounds light it might be your ISP. I would Google your ISP and Port Disconnects to see if it's not a more generic problem. Good luck, man...

Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

It never happens unless the router is plugged in. If I use a different router (that doesn't support Voice over IP) or connect it directly to the computer, the problem does not exist. There is, of course, a possibility that the router is bad as well.

I placed a hub in between the router and my computer. Now my computer no longer notices the port disconnects. Since the outages are only for about 1 second, the computer does not realize that it has been disconnected from the Internet either. I guess we'll see what happens with the phone. So far, it hasn't happened when I was on the phone or if it did, then I didn't notice.

I also wrote Vonage so if they ever reply back, maybe they will want to exchange the router.

Thanks,

Maaz
yanksno1
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I seem to be having a similar problem. What happens is about once a day (or sometimes a couple days) I lose my connection. This never happened when I wasn't using this as my router. What I have to do to get it back working again is turn off the PC that is connected directly to the router and then unplug both the cable modem and RT31P2. After I turn back on the PC and the cable moden and RT31P2 reset, everything works great again. But the PC has to be off for me to get it going again. I've tried just the cable modem and RT31P2 but that doesn't work. I have no idea why this is happening. Like I said, I never had disconnections before I started using the RT31P2 as my router. Any ideas on my situation?

P.S. I'm using Adelphia as my cable service.
JScott
Vonage
Representative
Vonage<br>Representative

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My question to all of u who r experiencing this problem is how do u have ur computers connected in ur network? Is it connected to the router of ur RT, connected to ur modems, or connected to both at the same time. The symptoms u describe sound to me like some sort of IP address conflict. The computers r not holding the proper IP address. Make sure the RT is set to "Obtain an IP Address Automatically", and make sure the PC is set for DHCP. And you computers should only b connected to the RT OR ur modem (preferably the RT), but NOT BOTH at the same time.

www.vonage.com
Maaz
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

JScott,

I appreciate your response. However, the problem has nothing to do with how my router is connected. The problem is that the router is a piece of trash. I am a network engineer and am well aware of what can create an IP address conflict.

So anyway, here goes: My initial setup was simple. My cable modem was plugged into the Internet port and my computer was plugged into Ethernet 1. The computer was set to DCHP and was able to obtain an IP address from the router just fine. Everything seemed to work. However, the router kept resetting itself, sometimes within 15 minutes, other times within a few hours.

So after waiting 6 days with no reply to my e-mail, I called tech support and they told me to plug it behind an existing router instead. I've tried this and although I no longer lose my Internet connection on the computer (because it is connected to my other router instead of the RT), the RT still seems to reset itself at times, which would affect the phone. By the way, my RT even resets by itself when no Internet connection and no computer is plugged into it. I connected the phone only to it and sure enough, the phone would periodically say that the line was in use while the router reset itself. I told the guy at Vonage this and he still insisted that I try plugging in the RT behind my other router first before exchaning it. I think this is a ridiculous idea anyway because the RT is supposed to be a router and why should I need another router? I asked if I could try a regular phone adapter instead and he said that they are only sending the RT out now and no other device, but that I could one from a retail store if I wanted to.

In addition, I am getting a lot of background noise in the line, as others have stated in this forum. My understanding is that this is probably due to a problem with the router as well. I will try changing my bandwidth settings though to see if that helps any.

I wish Vonage would just replace this router. It's a simple request. It could be that it is just defective. If I have to buy a regular phone adapter instead, I will, but I just don't want to spend money on a service I might not keep if it doesn't work out. Speaking of canceling, how would I go about cancelling the number transfer process? It's been about 2 weeks now since I first ordered the service (and requested the transfer).

Thanks,

Maaz
markwi
Vonage Forum Senior
Vonage Forum Senior

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

This issue exists period and its the router itself and your service. This blame it on the customer stance has been going on for weeks. I have the wireless version and it does the exact same thing. Furthermore I am not stupid and know how to properly set up my router. Furthermore there is nothing wrong with my ISP. So you tell me Vonage who's problem this is.

The router reboots whenever it feels. You can go a day without one. Also it does this right in the middle of a call if it so desires. It started with just the phone port doing it and connectivity was fine. Seems since the lousy new firmware released is now causing complete failure and takes a few minutes to be fully usable.

My connection for the internet is dsl 1500 down 500 up
ppoe used in config. I have tryed slight variations that maintain connection to rule out things and no setting matters, SAME ISSUE!

So people don't let Vonage tell you its your issue not theirs....period.
Maaz
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I was thinking of trying the wireless version. Thanks for confirming that it has the same problem. I guess I'll have to go the regular phone adapter route.

Maaz