How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Apexdv
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Packet Size Change Reply with quote Back to top

captenblack wrote:
[It wasn't until I moved Vonage to the LAST port (port 4 on my d-link) router that I got the connection to work. ALSO, like I said in that thread, when I made the move to port 4, I rebooted my modem, router, and Vonage box.

Hmmm. Thing is, the router I am using is the Linksys provided by Vonage with Line #1 connecting into the household wiring scheme. So, unfortunately, this option does not apply in my situation. I do have a fax line in Line #2 and also a separate PAP2 with Line #1 activated (yup, 2 voice lines and 1 fax line). It has been suggested that I connect the security panel into the fax port (line #2) however, that would require some major rewiring in my house (for the Brinks panel) and frankly, I am not just willing to take that on at the moment.

Perhaps I will try them in the middle of the night as you suggested as it makes sense they would pick up quicker, at least until everyone else starts waiting until 3AM too! Smile

The Vonage service, quality and price point is fantastic when compared with traditional copper-based land lines and it has certainly saved me a bundle in the few short months I have had the service. I still have about another 1 1/2 years on my Brinks contract so, I am more than willing to do what is needed to cure this "ailment" as I will not give up the savings Vonage has provided (hey ... call me cheap if you want!). After, I too will be looking for another security monitoring provider. I have heard of one that specializes in Voip and another in the Atlanta area that claims they work with Voip as well (and at only $9.99 per month! ) so will probably look into that when the time comes.

In the meantime . . . beep, Beep, BEEP!

captenblack
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Packet Size Change Reply with quote Back to top

Apexdv wrote:
captenblack wrote:
[It wasn't until I moved Vonage to the LAST port (port 4 on my d-link) router that I got the connection to work. ALSO, like I said in that thread, when I made the move to port 4, I rebooted my modem, router, and Vonage box.

Hmmm. Thing is, the router I am using is the Linksys provided by Vonage with Line #1 connecting into the household wiring scheme. So, unfortunately, this option does not apply in my situation. I do have a fax line in Line #2 and also a separate PAP2 with Line #1 activated (yup, 2 voice lines and 1 fax line). It has been suggested that I connect the security panel into the fax port (line #2) however, that would require some major rewiring in my house (for the Brinks panel) and frankly, I am not just willing to take that on at the moment.

Perhaps I will try them in the middle of the night as you suggested as it makes sense they would pick up quicker, at least until everyone else starts waiting until 3AM too! Smile

The Vonage service, quality and price point is fantastic when compared with traditional copper-based land lines and it has certainly saved me a bundle in the few short months I have had the service. I still have about another 1 1/2 years on my Brinks contract so, I am more than willing to do what is needed to cure this "ailment" as I will not give up the savings Vonage has provided (hey ... call me cheap if you want!). After, I too will be looking for another security monitoring provider. I have heard of one that specializes in Voip and another in the Atlanta area that claims they work with Voip as well (and at only $9.99 per month! ) so will probably look into that when the time comes.

In the meantime . . . beep, Beep, BEEP!

Just a thought -- maybe you can temporarily plug the line into the fax line? Since the panel dials out every few hours, you would only have to keep it hooked up for a day or so (or you can check your Vonage account activity to determine exactly when your brinks system is dialing out). But I would first make sure the packet size is reduced.

I'm not familiar with the Linksys box, but it seems like a lot of folks are getting them these days. How many computers does the linksys router box allow you to hook up to? Just one?

I certainly agree with you, I hate the phone company, hence I went with Vonage, even with its annoyances its worth it!

And with Brinks, when I do cancel, I've heard they come and take the system out of your house.... which means you have to hook up a system on your own. Not 100% sure on this, but I guess it depends if you actually own the Brinks system.
Apexdv
Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The Linksys router has 4 ports for networking in addition to the two Voip phone jacks.

I considered plugging the fax line in just to see but that requires phoning Brinks (which I did), having them temporarily change the calling ID number (to recognize the system), getting the update (on the 3000 panel you can hold the "0" key for 10 seconds. It will then dial out to get a time update but will also retrieve any other updates as needed), then have Brinks change the number back. They are insisting on the packet size change before they attempt any "further modifications on their end.

I also checked about the system: if I cancel now I will simply have to pay approx. $200-$300 as a termination fee. The system will stay in the home and become my property at that time (or when the contract is concluded). They stated they will not remove the system. If a contract owner "skips out" on them and is a home owner they simply place a lein on the property for the amount (per, the Brinks rep...actually three of them).

[EDIT] I am not sure about a rental/leased property; if you are the homeowner, the lein is instituted within 6 months of contract default . . . again, per the Brinks reps. I suppose they thought that was what I was considering? Rolling Eyes

Anyhow . . . beep, Beep, BEEP

captenblack
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Apexdv wrote:
The Linksys router has 4 ports for networking in addition to the two Voip phone jacks.

I considered plugging the fax line in just to see but that requires phoning Brinks (which I did), having them temporarily change the calling ID number (to recognize the system), getting the update (on the 3000 panel you can hold the "0" key for 10 seconds. It will then dial out to get a time update but will also retrieve any other updates as needed), then have Brinks change the number back. They are insisting on the packet size change before they attempt any "further modifications on their end.

I also checked about the system: if I cancel now I will simply have to pay approx. $200-$300 as a termination fee. The system will stay in the home and become my property at that time (or when the contract is concluded). They stated they will not remove the system. If a contract owner "skips out" on them and is a home owner they simply place a lein on the property for the amount (per, the Brinks rep...actually three of them).

[EDIT] I am not sure about a rental/leased property; if you are the homeowner, the lein is instituted within 6 months of contract default . . . again, per the Brinks reps. I suppose they thought that was what I was considering? Rolling Eyes

Anyhow . . . beep, Beep, BEEP

I guess you have no choice in setting priority for your Vonage phone lines since the Linksys incorporates everything into one router?

Here's what I mean:

I have the motorola Vonage box, which simply has an input (for your network cable), and output line for your network cable, and 2 Voip phone lines out. When I was doing all these test with Brinks, I connected the Motorola Vonage box directly to the cable modem. Then I connected my router to the "out" port of the Vonage box. I did it this way because Vonage had said this prioritizes the Vonage box and the phone line system (hence I thought I can get it working with Brinks and Tivo better).

Turns out it didn't really work until I connected my router directly to the cable modem then put the Vonage box on the last output of the router (this is how I always had it in the first place, prior to having these difficulties. That packet size reduction triggered everything to work properly...)

Anyway, when my packet size got reduced and I still had the Vonage connected directly to the cable modem, it really messed up my internet surfing! Some pages wouldn't load, I had to hit reload, it was quite annoying. But when I moved the Vonage box back to the output of the router, all was good. It was a win-win situation since the Vonage box was messing up my surfing anyway AND it worked better on the last port of the router.

Does that make sense? Will you be able to control your Vonage lines priority? If there is a way, make your computer network connections the main priority, and put Vonage last.

Thanks for the tip about holding the control panel "0" for 10 seconds -- i didn't know that.

One other thing: when you get through to Vonage, make sure to confirm you have the latest firmware for your box.

That's interesting info about the Brinks system. I got it installed when we moved into our house last summer. I'm going to have to check into the whole thing when the time comes. I do have an old security system that was built into the house that Brinks took out when they installed their system. The previous system was old so i was glad to get the newer brinks system... they installed some other pieces throughout the house. It would just suck if I all of a sudden had holes in the wall if they did come and take there system back if I cancel after the contract is up.
lgiambalvo
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I had this same problem with Brinks and Vonage. Here is what I did. Called Brinks and complained. They told me that the problem required a service call and I would have to pay to have the problem fixed. I hung up on the service rep and immediately called to terminate my service. This Brinks rep offered to send a service tech out to my home at no charge. The tech replaced the main alarm board. Problem fixed. I no longer have alarm problems.
craigstares
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My Brinks connection was not working out of the box but afer a call to Vonage Tech support (after reading the posts here) for them to make adjustments (decrease packet size, increase voltage and a few others) things work great!
igot10toes
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:15 pm    Post subject: Brinks Reply with quote Back to top

I appreciate any help but i'm especially interested in those Brinks technicians' opinions.

It seems like you guys are experiencing simalar issues but exactly the same as mine.

1) I get no beeping

2) My test alarms are fine

3) I get no error message

4) My keypad appears to recycle...it goes blank and then lights up all LEDs. It seems to occur only when the system is armed.

5) Here is my Vonage activity log:
May 09, 2005 10:23 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:20 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:19 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:18 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:17 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:15 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:14 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:13 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:12 AM 18004953555 00:01:00
May 09, 2005 10:11 AM 18004953555 00:01:00

This started 3 days ago. It makes about 100 of these calls per night.

Is my only option to have Brinks out to program the system not to update?

Thanks
Ruikee
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:00 am    Post subject: Brinks Call Reply with quote Back to top

That is just about what my log looks like as well. When i noticed it, i got home and looked at my Keypad and it said CH trouble as well. Called Brinks, they told me the panels are currently updating software and use a modem type call to do it and to call Vonage. Vonage set packeting to 10 and asked me to connect the house wiring directly to the router phone port.(i was using 2 to 1 splitter - one side regular phone line to pump dial tone to the rest of the house and the other to my fax machine). I also disconnected caller id and phones from house for a night. Woke up this morning and the CH trouble was no longer there. Checked Vonage log a few minutes ago and alarm panel was still trying to dial out. This stinks because i am on the 500 minute plan and every call is currently rounded to the minute with vonage(PLEASE ELIMATE MINUTE ROUNDING VONAGE!!!) anyhow called brinks back and they said looks as if the software was downloaded, but they need to run some more tests to stop the panel from transmitting and i cant do that until i get home and call them. I never got any beeping though and my test calls always go through....
igot10toes
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not very good at complaining to get free stuff so as much as I hated it I had to pay for a dispatch from Brinks. They replaced my circuit board on my alarm for $75. It really just needed different software so it wouldn't dial out anymore but it quicker(thus cheaper) to download it to a new board at the office and then come to repair it. Neither of the Brinks guys had a clue about VoIP...they just knew it was "bad"....They said they had training from Brinks that advised them that they would need to re-wire my house. They were pleasantly surprised that I had already ran a CAT5 from my Vonage box to the DMARC in the back of my house. Apparently I was the first with this issue in the Little Rock area.

I have to say that my experiecne with Brinks was pretty negative in this situation and I'll be taking my business elsehwere soon. Alarm.com looks really cool but I want something shorter than a 24 month agreement.

FUNNY HOW IT'S AN AGREEMENT WHEN YOU SIGN IT, BUT A CONTRACT WHEN YOU TRY TO GET OUT OF IT.
Davecoon13
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Finally, after 3 months Verizon finally ported my number over to Vonage today!!!! I am so happy!!!

I have a Brinks Home Security System, DirecTV TiVo, and an all in one FAX Printer (HP Officejet v40).

I just disconnected my house wiring from Telco, and plugged the Vonage Linksys router into the house phone jack. Now all my phones in the house work OK with Vonage. The Brinks Alarm works OK. DirecTV receivers are calling out OK.

I have a TiVo that connects wirelessly over my network, so the TiVo updates are not an issue since I Tivo over the network instead of the phone line.

The Bandwith saver for Vonage is set to default (in the middle of the slider).

Everything works good except--If I hook up the All in One Fax machine, it answers with fax tones on the first ring of incoming calls

I have to disconnect my All in One unless I want to send an outgoing fax. I don't send outgoing faxes often enough to warrant an etra $5 per month. Is there a way that I can have the All in One fax not answer the phone with the fax tones and leave it plugged in?