How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Hard Wiring - Installation
bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: dry loop ...voip ....alarm system and home distribution Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

Just got Dry loop ...voip now the fun starts. I need to distribute this throughout my home and make my alarm also work...

The big black bell line comes into the NIU and the White and Blue are connected to the screw terminals.

Then there are 2 phone wires that come into this NIU. One is from the alarm jack ( Red , Green , Yellow , and Black) The other is the wire that goes to all the jacks in the house and looped throughout the house.

The Alarm Wire (Red and Green) are connected to the Blue and Green screws which bell is connected too. The Black and Yellow of the Alarm Wire are connected to the Blue/White stripe and White/Blue Stripe respectively to the House Wire. The Orange/White Stripe and White/Orange Stripe are not connected.

From the RJ31x jack (alarm) this is the setup
From the Alarm Wire RJ31x Jack
Black to Green
Yellow to Red
Green to Grey
Red to Brown

So it seems that from the demarc point the Red/Green on the alarm wire go to the alarm jack and connect there and then
go back to the demarc point through the Black/Yellow connecting
to the Blue/White stripe and White/Blue Stripe respectively.

Plan is to have the dry loop connect to one jack for the modem and another jack for the Vonage/Voip box at one location where the DSL modem and the Voip box are located. Since I can't plug this box into the bell line directly.

So any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

First, you're correct about how the alarm is currently configured. The red/green pair carries service to the alarm panel and the yellow/black brings it back to connect to the rest of the house.

When you say "dry loop", do you mean DSL service with no phone service? Or something else? If the DSL does have phone service, do you want to use that for the alarm, or will the alarm call out on the Vonage line?

Are any of the phone jacks in your house wired separately, or are they all daisy chained? Ideally, if you want to use Vonage with the alarm, then you'd like a dedicated pair to bring the Vonage box output to the NIU, and a dedicated pair to bring the DSL service to where you have your DSL modem. Right now, if you only have one spair pair, the orange/orange-white, so you may have a problem. However, with CAT5 you generally have four pairs. Are the other wires available? Are your wall jacks RJ11 (two pairs) or RJ45 (four pairs)?

bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Steve48

Thanks for the quick reply....I have dry loop meaning no phone service just DSL.

Phones are all daisy chained with phone wiring no CAT5.

The alarm wire going from the NIU to the alarm box has only 2 pair (black/yellow and red/green) The other phone wire which goes from the NIU to the rest of the house has 3 pairs (Blue/white stripe, White/blue stripe, Orange/white stripe, White/orange stripe, Green/white stripe, White/green stripe.

And all the jacks in the house are wired with the Blue/white stripe and White/blue stripe.

I have pics of my NIU and alarm jack ...Can I send them to you?
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think I have a pretty good idea of the situation without the pics.

I'm going to assume here that the orange/orange-white and green/g-w actually go to all the boxes in the house, even if they aren't connected anywhere. Is that correct? You didn't indicate whether the house jacks themselves are regular 2-pair RJ11s, but I'll assume that they are for the moment. Is either the orange/orange-white or the green/green-white connected to the second pair on each of the jacks?

If sounds as if you have just enough pairs to do the job with a bit of re-wiring. Here's what I would do. First, disconnect the alarm red/green pair from the terminals that the Bell line is on. Connect either the orange/o-w or the green/g-w to the Bell terminals instead.

Now choose a jack that you want to use for both the DSL modem and the Vonage service. Remove the blue/b-w from that jack and connect the orange/o-w and green/g-w pairs to the two pairs that are available on that jack. Now you'll need to buy one of those splitters (not a simple Y-splitter) that separates the two pairs in an RJ11 into two separate jacks (typically labeled L1 and L2). Plug this into your modified jack and one of the jacks on the splitter, call it L1 if that's the way you wired it, becomes your DSL line. Plug that into your DSL modem with a standard cord. The other splitter jack is for your Vonage box output. It carries the Vonage service back to the NIU. Plug the Vonage box output into that.

Now, back at the NIU, connect the pair bringing the Vonage service back to the alarm red-green pair that you lifted from the Bell terminals. That sends the Vonage service to your alarm panel. The yellow-black brings it back to the NIU, where it connects to the blue/b-w just as it is now, sending the Vonage service to the rest of the house. That should have you up and running.

bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

All the jacks in the house have the Orange/White and White/Orange
But are not connected at all....Only the Blue/White and White/Blue is connected to the RED and GREEN.

When you say
Is either the orange/orange-white or the green/green-white connected to the second pair on each of the jacks?

No they are not connected at all! And what do you mean second pair BLACK/YELLOW?

Now instead of the line splitter what I did is I had a 2 jack RJ11. So I connected the white/green to green and green/white to red on the top jack (because I connected these 2 at the demarc point on the bell line as you said) and this for the DSL modem. Tried the internet and it works connected Vonage to it and a phone to the Vonage box and it works also.
Now on the second jack (bottom) I connected the white/orange to green and orange/white to red, as I did at the demarc point with the RED/GREEN that I removed from BELL line. Plugged my Voip to that and NO DIAL TONE!

Now let me tell you what my RJ31x has connected. From my demarc point the RED/GREEN goes to the alarm jack and connects into the
Brown/Grey respectively. The YELLOW/BLACK at the demarc point is tied together of course with the White/Blue and Blue/White respectively and goes into the house and gets connected to the RED/GREEN respectively too.

I guess something there is not jiving together. I think the White/Blue and Blue/White need to be reversed with the YELLOW?BLACK? Can that be?
bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry you might get confused this

"The YELLOW/BLACK at the demarc point is tied together of course with the White/Blue and Blue/White respectively and goes into the house and gets connected to the RED/GREEN respectively too. "[I]

should've read

The YELLOW/BLACK at the demarc point is tied together of course with the White/Blue and Blue/White respectively and goes into the house and at the alarm jack are connected to the RED/GREEN respectively too.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

OK, I think I've got it. By the way, when I say the second pair in an RJ11, I am referring to the yellow/black. Red/green is pair 1.

The Vonage box is connected to the DSL modem and a phone plugged directly into phone port 1 on the Vonage box works OK. But when you plug phone port 1 on the Vonage box into the bottom RJ11, with the orange pair connected to that RJ11 and the other end of the pair is connect to the red/green going to the alarm box, then your phone jacks aren't getting energized. Correct?

When you plug the Vonage phone 1 port into your special wall jack, what happens to the phone 1 light? Does it flash, stay on steady, or go off? If it stays on, and then try reversing the polarity of the connection to the red/green in the NIU. That is, if orange-white is connected to red and white-orange to green, reverse those connections.

Please confirm. You didn't alter the yellow/black from the alarm panel to the blue pair in the NIU in any way. And you're not using phone port 2 on the Vonage box for anything. Right on both?

bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I got it to work. My second jack that I was using to senf the Voip is defective. I tried another and it now works...However one question is the alarm seems to work. But how can I adequately test this to make sure it works the same way as a POTS line. The only thing I did was arm the alarm and triggered it.....It worked however the line was always busy and then the trouble light came on that it couldn't communicate...However the alarm company got the alert.....It seemed that once it got the line to call out it could not have released.....Any explanation would be great!
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Interesting problem. I don't know what happened there. I'd get with the alarm company and try it several times to see what's happening. A general word of advice is to set the alarm unit to use the slowest protocol that it has available for communicating.

bombcan
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Would you know how to setup this on the alarm ( Slowest protocol)
its a DSC power 832