In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Jan 29, 2016 at 01:49:14

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Stock
galion
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not up-to-date on Vonage's cash flow position, but I do know they have recruited fewer customers recently. But, they are still growing. It can only be expected that growth may wane as the market waits for people to catch up with the technology.

I expect Vonage also had to redirect some funding from advertising to fend off the government subsidized Verizon. Of course the subsidy I refer to is my opinion based on the way we guarantee profits as mentioned in my previous post. But, I predict Vonage will continue to grow and will work through this small problem.

In some ways it will be interesting to see if Verizon goes after anyone else. If they don't, then I think I have proven my theorey. If I were a betting person I would think the odds are good they won't even think about going after AT&T or the cable companies. They accomplished their goal.

It would be interesting to see if Vonage figured out a way to keep cutting customers away from Verizon. But, since Verizon gets their guaranteed Vonage paycheck thanks to our government then maybe Verizon can go back to gouging their own customers and become a leech off of Vonage.

The days of thousands of pounds of copper wires hanging on poles are coming to an end.
LuisPR
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vonage ordered to pay Verizon
Staff and agencies
08 March, 2007

By MATTHEW BARAKAT, AP Business Writer 1 minute ago

ALEXANDRIA, Va. - A federal jury on Thursday found that Internet phone carrier Vonage Holdings Corp. had infringed on Verizon Communications Inc.‘s patents and ordered Vonage to pay $58 million.

Still undetermined is whether Vonage will be barred from using Verizon‘s technology. Following the verdict, attorneys for New York-based Verizon requested a permanent injunction barring Vonage from further use of the patented technology.

Verizon sued Vonage last year for infringing on five patents that it said Vonage uses to make its Internet telephone service network functional. The eight-person jury found Vonage infringed on three of the five patents.
NITRO1250
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Wow... I hope the phone rates won't go up!
galion
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: An Open Letter to My Friends At Vonage Reply with quote Back to top

Dear Friends at Vonage:

Take heart, for today’s court ruling is just a confirmation that you have become a big player and are recognized by Verizon as a threat. Don’t think of today as a day of defeat. It is a battle cry for all who seek open competition. It is a battle cry for those who seek the advancement of technology. And in my opinion it is a battle cry for those who seek to remove big companies from the back pockets of government.

While you reaffirmed your confidence in not violating a patent, it was quite evident that the court would not rule in your favor. You cannot drop your guard and you must press on. Press on to forge the path of new technology to overcome the outdated. There are those who wish to hang on to the past and continue to reap profits from technology long paid for by taxation on the American people and long outdated. You didn’t see Verizon hesitate to garner that advantage.

The future of Voip is bright. You remain one of many bulbs lighting the way and you happen to remain in the front. Being in front means you will face the harsh brunt of the battle. But you will become hardened for your effort. You will find many who may not withstand the heat of battle. But those who stay the course reap the rewards.

Yesterday we celebrated the anniversary of Bell’s original 1876 telephone patent. We all benefited from Bell’s work along with many others working on the same technology at the same time. Fortunately we didn’t have a judge broaden Bell’s patent so we could take the best of all available to form what we have today.

Today has confirmed Verizon would rather use their advantage in the court system than move forward with competition. Today has confirmed my opinion that frivolous lawsuits still taint our legal system. But tomorrow will be another day and hopefully we will learn. Take heart.

The days of thousands of pounds of copper wires hanging on poles are coming to an end.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Could have been a LOT worse.

$58 million instead of $200 million, and 5.5% instead of f $5 per customer per month. For a $25/month customer like myself, that's $1.38 a month. For a $15/month customer, it's about 83 cents a month.

Plus, Vonage was not found to have been willful in their infringement, saving them from deeper penalties.

I do wonder who Verizon will go after next. AT&T? Sunrocket? Or just wait until someone else does all the hard work and makes enough money to be a target. Another juicy target for another lawsuit so they can profit from ideas they've never helped pursue or complete.

It does point to a deeper problem... the state of patents:

20th Century:

- American companies innovated in the laboratories.

- China copied much of that innovation and learned to profit from it.

21st Century:

- American companies are now, by and large, innovating in court, trying to sue each other for stuff that was invented in the 20th century, rather than allowing the marketplace to find ways of improving on the innovation.

Very few want to put the money into new ideas or innovations because trying to profit on it will get them sued by someone who patented something vaguely related to it last century, even though the patent holder never did anything more than sit on their patent. Instead, people come up with an idea, and apply for a patent, then sit quietly in the corner waiting for someone else to do all the hard work to actually make it practical, then they can swoop and rake off the profits. And our patent system encourages this.

- China is now innovating in the laboratories, refining and enhancing old ideas and adding new ones.

UMP25
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Time to sue the Chinese then!!!

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I dropped Verizon over a year ago because I was basically tossing 60.00 a month out the window. Since then, I haven't had any issues with my Vonage service. Saving 720.00 a year is huge.

When I cut off my Verizon service, they asked why I was turning off the service. I told them flatly, I'm using Vonage voice over IP for less than 30 bucks a month with more features than you offer for 60 bucks a month. Can you match that price? They of course didn't want to hear that.

I wonder how many other customers told them that they were dropping their service and switching to Vonage? I'm sure that really rubbed them the wrong way.

-SeanKH

Full Forum Member
Full Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I dropped Verizon because of their prices.

I went with Vonage because of their prices.

Whether I STAY with Vonage is going to depend on whether call blocking is going to be implemented within the next few months or not as promised.

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

SeanKH wrote:
I dropped Verizon over a year ago because I was basically tossing 60.00 a month out the window. Since then, I haven't had any issues with my Vonage service. Saving 720.00 a year is huge.

Same reason why I switched dude. $60 a month for only local calls and caller id! Vonage was my lifeline! Long live Vonage!!!
jehowe
Vonage Forum Junior
Vonage Forum Junior

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think this has been answered yet, so I'll ask again. Does Vonage now own the Voip patents (from DLP Inc.) that they could use to possibly shield them from infringement (and the 5.5% fee)? They had previously made mention of this.

VG stock is taking a beating again, but I'm seriously considering buying some shares to average down my losses and possibly make some gains on a bounce- if they hold non-infringing patents. These could have the potential to be a moneymaking asset as well. If Verizon starts targeting the smaller Voip players, they may find a friend in Vonage.