How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
knorman
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Decommissioned RTP300 Reply with quote Back to top

A few months after getting an RTP300 for my Vonage service, I needed to get the box replaced, because the audio on the phone line was always noisy. I got the new RTP300 and sent back the original one and everything was great. A year later, out of the blue, I received a package in the mail from Vonage that turned out to be my original RTP300 (I checked the MAC address). I called Vonage, and they said that to return it, I'd have to pay shipping, but that since it was sent to me by mistake, I could just keep it.

So now I'm looking at updating the firmware on the old, decommissioned RTP300 to the Linksys (non-Vonage) firmware, to see if QoS or any other functionality is supported any better than in the Vonage firmware, so I could use it as my main router. I've tried logging in to the router, going to the update page, then entering "user" and "tivonpw" to log in (as per these instructions: http://www.vonage-forum.com/ftopic9581.html), but those credentials aren't accepted. ("Error: User not enabled to login into the system") This username and password are accepted on the RTP300 that I'm using for my Vonage service. I'm not sure if that username was somehow disabled after I sent it in to Vonage (in order to keep me from flashing the firmware?), or what the deal is, but if I restore factory settings, I still can't log in on the update page with that username.

Does anyone have any ideas on this?
knorman
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject: one more thing... Reply with quote Back to top

By the way, I have also tried resetting the RTP300 using the hardware Reset button. Currently, I have the old one (the one I want to reflash) at work, with just my laptop plugged in to one of the LAN ports.

That user/tivonpw login couldn't be authenticating to a Vonage server, could it? If so, I would imagine our IT people could have that blocked, and that could be a problem... but that doesn't seem likely.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

The RTP300 and WRTP54G are supposedly hard nuts to crack, and of course doing so means that the device will not work with Vonage. Also, updating the firmware would require that you go back to stock firmware, which means Vonage-locked.

Since "cracking" an RTP300 is a violation of Vonage's Terms of Service, no one can discuss techniques in the forum here. However, there are threads out there on other forums that discuss the process, and I believe the unit can be used for non-Vonage use (just don't try to use it for Vonage use, or allow it to connect to a Vonage server again. Ever.).

As to your login problem... You cannot log into the tivonpw password until you have ALREADY logged on with your user credentials.

However, cracking the unit will not get you a fully-funtional router, at BEST you'll end up with a Voip adapter that works as well with another Voip service as your RTP300 did originally with Vonage, and serves as an "equally good" router as it ever did. And since you had noise problems on it already... well, if I had an old RTP300, I'd crack it as a fun little project, but not if I had a goal of having a decent router as a result.

knorman
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your reply, but as I mentioned above, I did log in with the regular user credentials (default: admin/admin) before going to the update page... It just isn't taking user/tivonpw at all. I've tried using the same username/password on the RTP300 that I'm actually using with Vonage, and I can get to the update page on that one.

Also, I'm looking to update the firmware to the Linksys GPL'd firmware, from the linksys support website... I'm not sure if that's any different from what Vonage pushes out, but the Linksys manual has different screenshots of the web management interface, and refers to "service providers" in a general way, not specifically mentioning Vonage, so I was hoping that would further indicate a non-Vonage-specific firmware.

Since I already have another functioning RTP300 and I don't plan on moving away from Vonage, I'm not trying to use this adapter for any other Voip services, and I'm not trying to access my Vonage SIP credentials to try to use my Vonage account with any non-Vonage hardware or software. I just want to see if the router functions of the RTP300 can be made to work better without the firmware that comes from Vonage. The RTP300 is already not useful to me as a Vonage device anyway, since my account is now tied to the other unit. I just have this free ATA/router that they sent to me, and they don't want back, so I don't really see why it would be a problem, even for Vonage, if I want to find other uses for it. I wouldn't think the Terms of Service even really apply, because this unit is not tied to my account at all any more, and pretty much belongs to me free and clear, since Vonage told me they don't want it back.

(As a side note, if I did want to use it as a generic SIP adapter, there was a post elsewhere on this forum that says that a non-grounded power supply improves the sound quality a lot on the RTP300, so the noisiness I've experienced in the past with this unit could just be the power supply.)

By the way NateHoy, I just wanted to mention I've read a lot of your posts in the past 19 months or so, and you've provided a lot of insight and resources since I've been using Vonage, so thanks for all of your posts... Also, I had a Junior High Reading teacher named Nate Hoy in Idaho about 15 years ago... that wasn't you, was it?
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, regardless of the username and password, you need to successfully log into the main configuration screens - I don't know why the unit would be "resetting" the password but maybe it is somehow communicating with Vonage.

You can try the GPL firmware, I'd be interested in hearing the results - probably not something Dan would want discussed heavily in the forums, so please feel free to use the contact information on my self-help pages for that. Wink

Quote:
I just want to see if the router functions of the RTP300 can be made to work better without the firmware that comes from Vonage. The RTP300 is already not useful to me as a Vonage device anyway, since my account is now tied to the other unit. I just have this free ATA/router that they sent to me, and they don't want back, so I don't really see why it would be a problem, even for Vonage, if I want to find other uses for it. I

You're right, of course, and I didn't mean to imply you were doing anything of the sort. Please accept my apologies if my post seemed accusatory.

Though "modding" your RTP300 would constitute a breach of the ToS, the RTP300 you are talking about working on is (of course) not technically subject to the ToS, and you are free to do with it as you will, as long as you are not trying to hack into Vonage's servers, which you are quite obviously not trying to do.

However, Dan (the forum owner) has already expressed that he doesn't want to encourage discussion of "cracking" Vonage (or former Vonage) units here, probably because current Vonage customers could use the information to do things that DO violate the ToS with gear that is subject to it. Forbidding the subject entirely is a very reasonable move to prevent all sorts of liability issues.

Quote:
Also, I had a Junior High Reading teacher named Nate Hoy in Idaho about 15 years ago... that wasn't you, was it?

Nope, not me. I've visited Idaho once, while on my way back from Yellowstone to the airport in Salt Lake, but that's the extent of my time spent in Idaho.