How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

During manufacture of Vonage devices the boxes are loaded with firmware containing Vonage's secrets. I imagine that at that time they are actually entered into Vonage's system under a test account to ensure that the secret was correct and the box is able to register.

I submit that in this case the box, for whatever reason, was not cleared from the test account after testing and that this is probably a problem resulting from manufacturing and not operations.

Thoughts?

Why then should the CS not be able to remove it from a test account and add it to a normal account? It is probably more a case of not being allowed to move a MAC address between accounts ever without the permission of the originally registered account holder. I suspect that you could have had this resolved eventually, but the process is much simpler if the device is returned as defective and a new device is acquired.

Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

chris073 wrote:
I think Linksys should inventigate why their products MAC addresses are being used other then their purpose.

I am not certain that using MAC address filtering on wireless access points, or having cable modems locked to specific MAC addresses were ever intended purposes either.

I went looking for an editorial I once read on this issue but was unsuccessful.

Frankly I am disappointed that Vonage didn't use an ESN/SIM model similar to GSM. It is silly that you have to contact customer service to use a different device. You should be able to take a SIM card with you to your beach house and plug it into your adapter there and avoid all of the hassles you currently have.

Of course, I don't actually have a beach house.

Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

scerruti wrote:
Of course, I don't actually have a beach house.

No fair . . . I'm kinda new around here, but I was grabbing my gear and packing for a visit . . . then you spring this no actual beach house on us Lol
BobbyD
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: You Should Have Known Reply with quote Back to top

As a network admin (albeit a recent one) you should know MAC addresses can be cloned. Early Network devices had jumper configurable MAC addresses (what a nightmare). But let's say it's a good idea that every device on a network has a UNIQUE MAC address - that would make sense.

All this technology aside you failed to recognize the most important dynamic - Human incompetence and greed. Human incompetence because Vonage customer service is the worse you will ever encounter to date. They failed so miserably that I have discontinued my Vonage account. The technology exists for them to flash the firmware in your PAP (via IP) and have it reboot with a different MAC. But why bother? Vonage is simply playing the percentages. They already know that need to grab everything they can now because in 6 months they won't be able to compete. That's where the greed comes in.

Vonage is a fly-by-night one-hit wonder that is looking to take the money and run. So they offer the illusion of customer service but the people that know what they're doing? They work in the billing department. Have you received that 2nd number you didn't ask for yet? Better check your statement.
ProGeek
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: MAC ID Check from the store Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Depending on hold times and the availability of a phone you may want to call Vonage from the store to verify MAC addresses assuming they are printed on the outside of the box.

The GetHuman Database today verified 888‑250‑1799 will get you Direct to human being who should be able to verify the MAC ID before you buy and find out that it has been returned then rewraped.

In a similar situation I was in-and-out of Best Buy with a functional adaptor, with a clean MAC ID, in less than 20-minutes including the waiting in line. The only drawback was that I had to accept the WRTP54G model due to them being out of the RTP300 which I originally purchased. Not a problem because it takes less than 5-minutes to disable the wireless function.

Average speeds = 24 Mbps down and 720 Kbps up

QOS = 80~98%

I hope that this helps,
Steve
chris073
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Well, to finalize this post and the story, I know about cloning and mac address as a network admin. I was simply stating I have never seen this ever in retail. I should have made that clearer. I did not take into account the possible situations that Vonage and Linksys would have that might lead to this test account duplicate.

Anyway, here is the end result. I brought the Pap2 back to Circuit City, closed my eyes and picked a new one.

Since I was at work, I tried the online method to register the new device but it did not show any current devices to change it from. This is a result of the attempt to change it last night during the duplicate mess.

I called Vonage, the guy entered it in and said it was ready. I got home a short while ago, plugged it in, programmed the IP, and it works!!

Until the next nightmare, I have a phone! Thanks for the input everyone.
sbj235
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

My "free" Cisco router from Vonage fried about a month ago. After three years with it, I wasn't too ticked about having to go out and supply my own. Vonage told me simply to go get one and register the MAC address. I did, through an online retailer, and it worked... for about a week. Then it died. To make a long story short, they somehow thought that I had a used device from this other guy. Well... after a week of arguing with Vonage, I got in touch with the guy in question thanks to one of the foreign tech support guys who supplied me with his name. I called him and verified that he never owned a Linksys WRTP54G. I confronted Vonage with all of this and they FINALLY changed my MAC address. It was pretty funny to call and give them all this guy's info and basically bust them. They had been telling me it was not supplied by an authorized retailer, etc. No refund for the week of no service. In fact, the American tech support guy I finally got to register my MAC address was pretty much that computer guy from the SNL skits. I am glad it's working now, but I went from being a huge Vonage fan to hating Vonage. I don't care that they messed up, but that they gave me the runaround and can't live up to their own mistakes. Arg.
chris073
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I think the scoop is pretty much this:

Vonage is no different then any other company when it comes to tech support.

Why do I think that: Because like anything in life, "you get what you pay for."

Most companies today now pay minimum wage or overseas wages for 1st level tech support to save money. These people have very little skills, and very little education, and about all you get get for that kind of wage, and there is your support problem. Vonage is the same.

You get people who troubleshoot by fliiping through a pre-written solution manual, and they follow the steps based upon what they can figure the problem is that your describing. Then add in a language barrier (minimal english skills) and you get the final solution, to scream and yell and pull your hair out if you have any left.

My advice: find out who the guy is. Every company has a guy...the guy....the one that is educated and has experience, and is somewhere hidden in level 3 support. If you get that number, put it in a safe deposit box and consider yourself lucky. Don't give it out, because once it's known, it will get changed.

Or, do what I do......as soon as you hear a foreign voice that you already can't understand their name, hang up and try again.

It's like playing slots. Try to get lucky without going broke.
ProGeek
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 4:30 pm    Post subject: Possible Fraud Reply with quote Back to top

sbj235 wrote:
My "free" Cisco router from Vonage fried about a month ago. After three years with it, I wasn't too ticked about having to go out and supply my own. Vonage told me simply to go get one and register the MAC address. I did, through an online retailer, and it worked... for about a week. Then it died. To make a long story short, they somehow thought that I had a used device from this other guy. Well... after a week of arguing with Vonage, I got in touch with the guy in question thanks to one of the foreign tech support guys who supplied me with his name. I called him and verified that he never owned a Linksys WRTP54G. I confronted Vonage with all of this and they FINALLY changed my MAC address. It was pretty funny to call and give them all this guy's info and basically bust them. They had been telling me it was not supplied by an authorized retailer, etc. No refund for the week of no service. In fact, the American tech support guy I finally got to register my MAC address was pretty much that computer guy from the SNL skits. I am glad it's working now, but I went from being a huge Vonage fan to hating Vonage. I don't care that they messed up, but that they gave me the runaround and can't live up to their own mistakes. Arg.

If you can document this situation, you may want to contact your State Attorney General and file a fraud report. If this turns out to be an isolated incident, the State AG will let you know that it was probably an innocent mistake. On the other hand, if they have a pattern of reports on this type of activity, they will most likely go after Vonage for committing fraud.

Average speeds = 24 Mbps down and 720 Kbps up

QOS = 80~98%

I hope that this helps,
Steve
sbj235
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure it was actually fraud. I just don't think the guys I've spoken with at Vonage would be smart enough to try something that elaborate. My MAC address was actually registered to a "Mr. W..." for a day or two, while I unknowingly made a few calls from his number--only one digit off from mine. The way I actually got Vonage to take notice was to call the family members who I had called with Mr. W's phone account and get his (mine for a day) number off their caller ID. I then called Mr. W and had a friendly chat, verifying that we were both in fact having issues with Vonage and that neither of us was at fault. So I called Vonage telling them the whole story. I included information from my conversations with Linksys who verified the sale of this router to a wholesaler and then the retailer I bought it from. I think that was a bit embarrassing for them as there was no possible option other than that they had made a mistake. I gave them Mr. W's number and suggested they speak with their customer as I had to verify. I was quickly escalated to top tier support, "Rick," who was not the least bit apologetic or sympathetic. In fact, he still made it sound like it was my fault, almost chiding me for discovering the problem. I asked about being compensated for my week's worth of lost service due to Vonage's mistake and he just gruffed. It's true though. You get what you pay for. The service is so cheap that it's hardly worth the trouble to argue over my lost $10-12 of service.