infrequently on
the phone. I'm
thinking of
switching to a
data-only

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Use with iPhone, and switch to data-only plan?
On Jul 21, 2014 at 14:29:35

szurcsii Posted:
Hey! I'm
planning to build
my own voip alarm
system. I found a
guide that looks

In The Forum:
Fax - Tivo - Alarms
Topic:
Alarm systems and VOIP
On Jun 27, 2014 at 01:09:10

DSewhuk Posted:
The last week I
have seen a
similar issue. I
have gotten 2
simultaneous calls
outbound

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Outbound calls showing when no call is being made
On Jun 11, 2014 at 23:25:10

HtomSirveaux Posted:
Rather than be
long and wordy,
I'll get right to
the point(s): -
Have had VDV23

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
VDV23 - Max Upstream?
On Jun 10, 2014 at 18:18:46

revrob Posted:
In The Forum:
Vonage UK
Topic:
Witholding Caller ID from display and the BT 1471 service
On May 22, 2014 at 16:45:07

dconnor Posted:
Try: MODEM
->SWITCH V->
BROWSER ->
-> VONAGE

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
Internet via Vonage is only 50Mbps
On May 18, 2014 at 12:31:40

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Announces Date of Earnings Release and Conference Call for Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Financial

Vonage Chief Executive Officer to Present at the Citi 2014 Global Internet, Media & Telecommunications Conference

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
sides316
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I have two Vonage accounts - one being used in the states and the other (was!!) being used in Dubai - like all of you, it has stopped working around 2-3 weeks ago when the greedy government owned ISP in UAE decided to block it along with even the actual Vonage website. Originally we had switched from MSN, Yahoo and Skype to Vonage out of the convenience of being able to use a phone to make phone calls insead of making PC to PC calls which as all of you know ****!!

Since they blocked Vonage, they somehow managed to block the MSN, Yahoo and Skype - you can chat by typing back and forth - but thats about it! No softphones are going to work - Vonage or otherwise! (so Bobcat - sorry to be the one to break the news to you buddy, but there's now way around it right now!)....

I have been following this discussion for a few days now in the hopes that someone has more intelligence and knowledge than the rest of us has a solution to this. I think the VPN solution sounds like it might make sense - but how do we actually set it up? I know that it requires two VPN capable routers one here and one there to make the VPN tunnel - but what i havent been able to figure out, is whether sending my family a router from here will work - in other words, does etisalat have to set up the router (allow it access) from their end? doesnt that mean that they have to be the ones that sold it - with their MAC numbers? Can someone explain that to me? Are routers sold openly in UAE?

Also, if someone can help me/us figure this out, i am willing to setup a server that can allow your users to VPN to it - I have unlimited access to hardware and bandwidth (US based) - just need help understanding how and what to setup!
bobcat
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Pls find a solution Reply with quote Back to top

sides316 wrote:
I have two Vonage accounts - one being used in the states and the other (was!!) being used in Dubai - like all of you, it has stopped working around 2-3 weeks ago when the greedy government owned ISP in UAE decided to block it along with even the actual Vonage website. Originally we had switched from MSN, Yahoo and Skype to Vonage out of the convenience of being able to use a phone to make phone calls insead of making PC to PC calls which as all of you know ****!!

Since they blocked Vonage, they somehow managed to block the MSN, Yahoo and Skype - you can chat by typing back and forth - but thats about it! No softphones are going to work - Vonage or otherwise! (so Bobcat - sorry to be the one to break the news to you buddy, but there's now way around it right now!)....

I have been following this discussion for a few days now in the hopes that someone has more intelligence and knowledge than the rest of us has a solution to this. I think the VPN solution sounds like it might make sense - but how do we actually set it up? I know that it requires two VPN capable routers one here and one there to make the VPN tunnel - but what i havent been able to figure out, is whether sending my family a router from here will work - in other words, does etisalat have to set up the router (allow it access) from their end? doesnt that mean that they have to be the ones that sold it - with their MAC numbers? Can someone explain that to me? Are routers sold openly in UAE?

Also, if someone can help me/us figure this out, i am willing to setup a server that can allow your users to VPN to it - I have unlimited access to hardware and bandwidth (US based) - just need help understanding how and what to setup!

Hi side 316,

Thanks so much for your reply. So you know how to setup a server and you have unlimited access, why don't you setup one and help us bro.? Hope you will help us.

By the way, do you have any idea whether any other internet provider is going to setup internet services in, Dubai UAE? Why Iam asking you is cause you know whats going on here very well.

And also, why the Government allowed the people who live near the internet city to use the internet for a cheaper price than us and to access any site with out any blockage? Dont you think they dont loose their income ?

And we live in the same city, we cant have the previlege to use anything that our neighbors use.
bobcat
Stanley
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Dubai wants a monopoly on VoIP too! Reply with quote Back to top

According to recent articles in the paper here (Gulf News) it would appear that Etisalat, the only ISP in the UAE wants to control Voip as well as general internet. They have started by blocking any and all Voip ports they can and have successfully blocked Vonage and Skype. I would suspect that in the near future, they will offer their own hardware and you sign up with them and only them. With unlimited resources and time on their hands they are clearly eliminating the competition and will then move in and offer their own solution. Let's not forget that anything other than their voice services here, either land line or on-air are illegal. Once again, we the consumer suffers. Thanks for a great service Vonage and I'll keep my phone number and carry the box with me to use wherever I can!
sides316
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: vonage definitely blocked in uae Reply with quote Back to top

OK - i was able to confirm it today - anyone in UAE and using Etisalat, you definitely cannot use Vonage. But if you are in UAE and are using TECOM (not sure of the spelling) you can use Vonage openly. The problem is, to use TECOM, you have to be located in the newer part of Dubai, in or near internet/media city.

Writing letters or trying to make empty threats to Vonage managment is not going to help any of us, neither will trying to write a letter to any government official or embassy - they couldnt care less if you get free long distance or not!

Can anyone explain/elaborate on the VPN/SSH setup? I really need to get something going here gang, so i appreciate any help i can get...

Thanks
arcking
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: vonage definitely blocked in uae Reply with quote Back to top

sides316 wrote:
Can anyone explain/elaborate on the VPN/SSH setup?

Check your PM.

bobcat
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Dubai wants a monopoly on VoIP too! Reply with quote Back to top

Stanley wrote:
According to recent articles in the paper here (Gulf News) it would appear that Etisalat, the only ISP in the UAE wants to control Voip as well as general internet. They have started by blocking any and all Voip ports they can and have successfully blocked Vonage and Skype. I would suspect that in the near future, they will offer their own hardware and you sign up with them and only them. With unlimited resources and time on their hands they are clearly eliminating the competition and will then move in and offer their own solution. Let's not forget that anything other than their voice services here, either land line or on-air are illegal. Once again, we the consumer suffers. Thanks for a great service Vonage and I'll keep my phone number and carry the box with me to use wherever I can!

Hi Stanley,

Thanks so much for your reply. But some one told me about an article in the UAE newspaper about the ISP called du is starting their service in Dubai soon. Do you know anything abt it?

But people living in some parts of Dubai use all facilities as they are using some other ISP. They are not using etisalt, so just wondering it is not illegal to allow only a particular part of dubai public to use some other provider...... that too with very cheaper price than etisalt....

bobcat.
Stanley
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Other ISPs in Dubai Reply with quote Back to top

Hi bobcat,
I really don't know Etisalat's schedule for introducing Voip services of their own, but they have announced it is under "study", which of course you know means they won't tell us anything until they are good and ready! As regards to other ISPs in Dubai, yes there might be others who use satellite systems, but these are usually associated with big companies and housing projects like The Greens. They have completely separate systems from Etisalat (lucky them!) and they service their entire communities through cables of their own. As a result they are not blocked in any way. However, if they start running afoul of the regulators or government, I am willing to bet they too will come under the axe.
Sorry to ramble, but without Vonage I am feeling rather isolated! In the meantime, we should still look for "workarounds" and if anyone has any bright ideas, hopefully they will post them here.
scribblex
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: hey Reply with quote Back to top

alright, there still exists a way how people are still using this voice over ip method of communicating. I just saw it yesterday at my friends place and he lives right across the street. His Voip is working again after etislalat blocked all services. My friend says he called his Voip service provider, im sorry im not going to name the company, but apparently its as good a company as Vonage, and they sent him a txt file with how to change the settings of his router of his internet phone, and yeah after a few hassels and two days of work now it works perfectly just as it used to. its so sad Vonage wont help us change the settings or tell us anything what we can do about this issue. Sad and yeah etisalat is confirmed launcing its Voip services by the 1st quarter of 2007, they are ready but just waiting for government approvals. lastly du the second telecom company, i doubt is gona be of any help, cause if you didnt know its 60% owned by etisalat, if not etisalat, parts of the government anyway, so which means no price wars, only competition on basis of quality, which i think etisalat already is really good at.
Pilots
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Any further development on the tunnel to get Vonage to work? I am still experimenting with the WRV54G. No luck so far.
au48
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

hey
we gotta work as a team , first of all does any one know how etisalte is blocking the Vonage ,,,,i mean are they blocking the port if so then the port should be changed . how would we know if creating vpn would help

if some one knowzz way out plz post

regards