How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Hard Wiring - Installation
wakegrrl
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:38 pm    Post subject: connecting 2 diff VoIP modems to 1 Cable Ethernet connection Reply with quote Back to top

Help!

I need internet and Voip access in 2 homes (separate/independent Cat 5 wiring in both homes) on 1 lot.

I only can have 1 cable modem per physical address. There is only 1 ethernet Cat 5 wire in the 2nd home. I have established internet and Voip in 1st house. HOW THE HECK DO I SPLIT THE ETHERNET FROM CABLE MODEM AND SEND 1 to 1st Voip modem and then send 2nd Ethernet signal to other Voip modem. I have 2 Vonage accounts, diff Voip modems w/ diff MAC addresses, 2 diff phone numbers.
I tried a Linksys switch. Problem. IP is forwarded to only 1 Voip modem, and does not send it to ANYTHING ELSE w/ Voip modem or modem/router connected. So adding switch prior to the Voip modem is not going to work. I need the signal split from cable modem then split again 2 times. 1 for split data and phone signal for 1 account at 1st Voip modem, and then split data and phone again at 2nd Voip modem.

Do I need a diff Voip modem or router or just WHAT?

does ANYONE KNOW THE ANSWER?

THIS IS DRIVING ME MAD!

Wireless is NOT and option.
Running annother Cat 5 wire to 2nd house is NOT an option.
Putting routers and modems in an attic or other access point is not an option
Adding 2nd line to first Voip modem is not going to work because accounts need to be separate. and besides would not have internet then.....unless ethernet over electric or splitting the 1 Cat 5 wire to 2 wires for phone and rest for data at ea end -- but compromises transfr rate.

HAVE to send the internet over to BOTH first house and 2nd house and THEN split data and phone on 2 diff Voip modems, in 2 diff locations. So both have internet and PHONE connections!

Vonage told me that IT IS POSSIBLE TO ADD 2 Voip MODEMS SEPARATE ACCOUNTS OFF 1 CABLE MODEM.

I ASK HOW? HOW? HOW? DO i DO THIS?

1st modem was Motorolla VT 1005V for my Vonage account and phone number.
2nd Voip modem is a Linksys Wireless G Voip modem/router. needed in 2nd house for 2 computers connection to it. It is already assigned and registered in a separate account for the 2nd house tenants.

Do I need a different Voip modem/router to do this other than the Motorolla (which is Voip modem only (only 1 LAN out to my pc)?

arrugh. please advise. anyone anyone. To hire a network dude @ $130/hr I just cant afford, and I just dont know enough about these networking issues.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Unless I'm missing something, you just buy a router and attach it to the modem in house 1. Use one output to send ethernet to house 2, where you attach your Voip adapter for that house. Use another output for the Voip adapter in house 1. Other ouputs are available for computers in house 1. Alternately, you can plug your computer in house 1 into the VT1005. In house 2 your computers run off the Linksys.

SturdyErde
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: connecting 2 diff VoIP modems to 1 cable ethernet connection Reply with quote Back to top

I'll take a shot at this if you can answer a couple of questions that I'm a little unclear on:

Houses
It sounds like your house #1 is all set and that you cannot/will not share any connections between houses. (This obviously makes sense if you have tenants.) If so, let's ignore any potential solutions that involved house #1.

Phone Test
Have you tried connecting a switch, not a router, directly to the cable modem, connecting both Voip adapters directly to the switch, and a separate phone directly to each of your Voip adapters?

Wiring
Does house #2 have preinstalled CAT-5 wiring, with jacks in each room? This would mean all of these jacks come back to one central switch or router somewhere in the house. </p>

Are you trying to run both of your Voip adapters through this kind of wiring?

If you are, then the problem that I see is that your phones cannot distinguish which Voip adapter you are trying to use, since they would both be on the same wire pairs. If this is the case, I would try this work-around:

For the rooms/section of the house that you would like to have separate Voip accounts, you may be able to simply make a "separate network" for Voip account "A" and Voip account "B."
    Find the central wiring closet/shelf/etc and locate the wires that go to the rooms that will use account "B."
    Buy a 2nd switch for the house and plug the wires for account "B's" rooms into it.
    Plug the 2nd ("B") Voip adapter into the 2nd ("B") switch.

Hopefully your cable modem has 2 ethernet ports on the back. If it does, you could connect one switch to each port. (I'm not 100% positive that this would keep the traffic separate - which is the key here.) Otherwise, you would either need 2 routers (instead of your A and B switches) OR just 1 overall switch that supports VLAN's. That, however, is probably not something that you want to pay the extra $ to purchase or have a "network dude" configure.

Anyway, those are the best ideas I can give you now, based on my understanding of your problem. Hope that helps!
wakegrrl
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Wiring 2 VoIP modems off 1 cable modem... Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I was unclear sturdyerde....

cable Internet connection in house #1....and triing to connect 1 Voip in house #1 and then SPLIT the internet signal w/o loss of speed.....to send 2nd ethernet over to house #2 where 2nd Voip modem is connected. only wiring in house #2 is electric, RJ6 (Coax) and 1 Cat-5e wire.

I had a switch...just a switch not work because IP is obtained from cable modem & forwarded ONLY to the 1st Voip connection..not both....IP jams per routing packets.

Steve48 I think...think that router may do it.. BUT a IP friend told says I need to spend some $1000 on a router for small businesses specifically a Cisco 1700 router...per need to create independent networks off 1 cable modem. otherwise IP packes sent just jam together. so that makes sense....but why doesnt just a cheaper router do this? according to friend I need router that has 1 WAN in and 2 LAN out and "special" router will create networks assigning ea a ip and treat the LAN out as an extension of the WAN.

DO I NEED TO SPEND $800 (if I check out Ebay for used) on a router????

or will it work like Steve48 says.....just route w/ 2 ethernet out....sending 1 along cable over to house #2 where I connect 2nd Voip modem/router and computers from that?
wakegrrl
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: wiring 2 VoIP off 1 Cable modem. Reply with quote Back to top

SturdyErde.....oops re-read your reply.....after posted a reply.

To answr your ?'s:

Houses: House #1 and house #2 are independent...just sharing the cable modem which is located in house #1.

Phone Test: Yep connected a switch...and then both VoIP's and then to phone.....no go.

Wiring: Yep Cat 5e pre-installed but only 1 wire.....jacks have to be changed to RJ45 female (are RJ11 females right now) but I'll fix that once I establish the connection and get both VoIP's going. which I can do in house #1 before taking equipment over to house #2 and send signal across the Cat 5 that stretches from the 2nd house and dangles down into the wall of the computer room of house #1.

So nope.....there is nothing connected at either end of Cat 5 wire in house #2 right now (except the wrong jack of course).

Your last suggestion is what my friend said....create independent networks. Cable modem has only 1 ethernet out. and so I cant connect 2 switches to it and/or routers....need something that SPLITS the signal. but keeping IP's separate? im not good at all this ip forwarding assigning re-assigning....etc that is why im confused i guess. and being told by several IT dudes that a switch is all i need and would do it ---didnt.

I need to be clear before I go out and buy anything else...
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I don't know why your friend says you need a super expensive router. You don't want to buy junk of course, but plenty of people run two Vonage router/adapters off of low cost routers to get several Voip lines. The only difference in your situation is the fact that the adapters would be in different houses.

You didn't specify the size of the lot, so maybe your friend thinks the distance between the houses is excessive. Why not get a reasonably priced router at a place that's good about returns and give it a try? If you get good internet service in both houses, and tests at www.testyourvoiP.com from both houses give you good results, then you should be good to go.

zerain
Vonage Forum Associate
Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I read your post and found it quite interesting. Click on the thumbnail to see what may be a possible solution.

I will try to describe the setup as simply as possible.

Your ISP connects to the cable modem in House #1. From here you want to split the access to both House #1 and House #2. This is where a router will do nicely.

I suggest getting a router with 5 ports. One WAN port to connect to the cable modem, and four LAN ports to connect the rest of your network. Here is how the router will be setup.
WAN port --> Cable modem
LAN port 1 --> Adapter #1 (this will be the Vonage phone adapter to service House #1)
LAN port 2 --> Network Device (this device will distribute the network connection to House #2)
LAN port 3 --> PC
LAN port 4 --> PC

In House #2, the Network Device will be connected to Adapter #2, which will be the Vonage phone adapter to service House #2. Any PCs in House #2 can also connect to the Network Device depending on how many free LAN ports are available.

The Network Device in House #2 can either be a router or switch. If it's a router, then House #2 can be its own network with separate IP addresses. This is if the DHCP service is turned on for the router. If the Network Device is a switch, then House #2 will be part of the House #1 subnet (same IP address range). This is a little technical but bear with me. The main question is "do you want to share files/folders between the PCs in House #1 and the PCs in House #2 and/or do you want to be able to print from one house to the other house?" If the answer is yes, get a switch. If the answer is no, get a router. Typically, switches are cheaper than routers, but routers offer better network management.

In the diagram, I showed how a switch could be added to House #1. This would be in order to support more PC connections than the router in House #1 had available. The same goes for House #2.

Steve48 brought up a good point about the distance of the connection between House #1 and House #2. There is a transmission limit for CAT5. I believe it's 100 meters before the signal becomes degraded and/or packet loss becomes an issue.

Good luck on this project. I am curious to find out how things go. Keep us posted.

I almost forgot to mention that the routers and/or switches can be purchased relatively cheap depending on what manufacturer you decide on. CISCO is by far the most costly option. Linksys, D-Link, and Belkin are just a few examples of cheaper manufacturers.
DRichards
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Two VoIP adapters on a single modem Reply with quote Back to top

Hello,

Eek
1st I would look at the distance between the two end points. Ethernet which is riding on the Cat5 has about 300' if conditions are good. If from one end of the Cat5 if house 1 and the other end in house 2 is close to 300 feet then you might better look at some sort of alternate method.

2nd The brand of router you use does not make as much difference as a feature called QoS (Quality of Service). QoS will regulate throughput based on priority. Basically it works on on the presumption that most people wont notice that a web page take a few seconds longer to open. They will notice a choppy telephone call.

Eek
A regular POTs line (Plain Old Telephone) can have a distance of about 1000’ and a REN of 7 REN is Ringer Equivalency Number. 1 would be equal to the ringer of one of those old style phones with the brass bells and the pots line can power 7 of these. Most newer phones are less than 1. The REN will be listed on the bottom of the phone. I have a cordless phone that has a REN of 0.2. A post line could handle 35 of these phones.

My Linksys WRTP54G Voip router has a REN of 5 which is less than the POTs specification. I don’t know what the wire distance is.

Option 1
Get the Linksys WRTP54G Voip router which has QoS for house with Internet connection. Get a Linksys PAP2 Voip phone adapter. String a CAT4 line from both ports on the PAP2 to the telephone access point on the outside of house 2. Get House 2 some 802.11b network adapters. (802.11b gets better range than 802.11g)

Option 2
If the total length of the Cat5 between the two houses INCLUDE up walls, under ground, over ceilings, swag.. is under 300’ (250’ would be better) . I would string Cat5E minimum Cat6E would be better.

See if your modem will support multiple connections. Some will I have the Motorola SB5120 and it will support 32 connections. If it will get a small 4 port switch (NOT A HUB or ROUTER) check around I have gotten them new for under $10.00 connect it to the modem connect Voip router for the House 1 to one of the ports. Connect the Cat6E line to House 2 to another switch port. Connect Voip router for House 2 to the other end.

Follow the wiring rules. When strip the cover off of the CATx wire its is twisted. The twists are VERY important and must be maintained. No right angles always sweep use a 1” minimum bend radius. Less will flatten the wires inside the cable. All joints should have .5” or less untwisted wire.

Good Luck
Very Happy