How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
sbhoskins
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Can someone break down and explain WiFi Phones for me. Reply with quote Back to top

Just subscribed to Vonage and did not get the Wi-fi phone because it was explained to me that it would have to have it's own number assigned to it and I would not be able to use an additional (Hard Line) in the house. Is there any truth to this and Why?

In addition to talking me out of buying vonages' Wi-fi phone the customer service rep told me I should do some research and find A wi-fi phone that will be compatable with Vonage..... he couldn't make a recommendation.

Do I need a softline?

I've seen the few phones that are out on the market but am having trouble getting a straight answer whether they will work w/vonage. Furthermore I am a mac user and don't know if any of the phones have windows based software Question

Can someone set me straight. make fun of me, be rude, just get me some answers!
cecil30
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: RE:Wi-Fi phone. Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, it is true that the wi-fi phone requires a separate phone number (and account), but there is no reason that both can't be used in the same household. I have been a Vonage customer (unlimited plan) for 1&1/2 years, and decided that I would try Vonages Starcom f1000 phone on a basic 500 plan. Since I had to open a 2nd account to get this phone, I referred myself to my secondary email account and got 1 month free for both phones!! The starcom does not need it's own adapter and can be used anywhere there is an unecrypted wireless signal, which in the US is just about anywhere. Keep in mind, however, that this phone is highly dependent on the quality of this signal. I originally had a D-link 514 wireless router and the Wi-Fi phone had a difficult time connecting to it. I switched to a Linksys WRT54GS, and the thing now sounds as good as my regular Vonage phone. I brought the phone to Bermuda last week, and had a difficult time connecting to a signal with high enough integrity, but when I did, all calls to the US were free. Personally, I like using the Wi-Fi phone, but some current users might find the fact of having to pay for a separate account prohibitive.
As far as having a Mac, this is not a softphone. All that is required is a wireless internet connection. You could take a sledgehammer to your computer and as long as the internet is there, the phone will work fine.
Steve48
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Can someone break down and explain WiFi Phones for me. Reply with quote Back to top

sbhoskins wrote:
Just subscribed to Vonage and did not get the Wi-fi phone because it was explained to me that it would have to have it's own number assigned to it and I would not be able to use an additional (Hard Line) in the house. Is there any truth to this and Why?

What Cecil told you is all good information (and more than I know). Just to add, it sounds as if the person to whom you were talking meant that the Wi-fi phones don't have phone outputs that allow them to be plugged into house wiring. That would let other phones in the house make use of the service. I don't know of any reason why the wi-fi phones couldn't be made that way, but apparently they're not. A lot of people in the forum recommend a "conventional" adapter because it gives you more flexibility in setting up your phone system.

howiewifi
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

With respect to the question of WiFi phones that are compatible with Vonage - I expect that pretty much "any" WiFi phone that supports SIP would be compatible with Vonage if you use it with a soft phone account. that would include the UTStarcom F1000 (unlocked version) and F3000 as well as many others available in the market.

As far as the WiFi phone needing a separate number - that is not a technical requirement of WiFi phones or Voip or SIP. It is how Vonage chooses to market their service. I think that one big reason for that is that, with "unlimited" plans, having more than one device work with one account would encourage connection "sharing" and the economics of unlimited makes some assumption on average use. If you go far above the assumed use, unlimited plans stop being profitable for the operator.

I have seen a few "pay as you go" services, like Stanaphone that let you connect as many devices as you like at the same time - they just charge per minute for all outgoing calls.
EasyDialer
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Does that mean that I can buy the Starcom F3000 flip phone, from a third party supplier and it will work with Vonage, after I register it with them?

It's a much nicer phone.
scerruti
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Other WiFi phones will work with a Vonage account, but not on your main Vonage number, only with the optional, extra cost, time limited softphone product.

New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I want to get the phone its own discrete number with the standard 24.99 unlimited plan.

Do you mean I can only use the F3000 as a softphone?

What about the F1000......I assume that one is compatible with the unlimited plan.
howiewifi
Vonage Forum Evangelist
Vonage Forum Evangelist

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

If you get the branded/locked F1000 WiFi phone from Vonage, you can use it to sign up for their unlimited plan. If you get the Unlocked F1000 or the F3000, Vonage does not authorize use on the unlimited plan, but you can use it with a soft phone account.

You can't get the Vonage SIP credentials from an unlimited account and there is no locked version of the F3000 where Vonage will download the SIP details to the phone.

This is not "technology", it is "policy" at Vonage.
EasyDialer
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Got it.........thanks for the info.

I'll go with the F1000 now and upgrade to the F3000 when Vonage adds it. The cost with the rebate will probably be about the same as if I paid $205.00 now for the F3000.
SteveJNB
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Do you really save money with Vonage??? Reply with quote Back to top

Ironic isn't it that Vonage's primary message is that customers save on telephone calls over the competition, yet when I read the threads here you're all talking about buying additional Vonage lines, new wireless routers, ugrading $200 phones.....there's absolutely no way you can possibly be saving any money - your communications bills just got higher. OK it might be fun and there are some really neat and useful features with Vonage but this sin't about saving money at all!
I've been a Vonage users for nearly a year. I started in the UK and then in October transferred to Barcelona. I still have the same service here - it works great and I even have a virtual Barcelona number. Most of my calls by way of business are to the UK so I save around €250 a month using Vonage. Sorry Telefonica - no extra revenue for you. So I'm happy that my investment is sound - I can even waste money on experiements like the F1000 (ughh - don't go there - it's horrible) but Telcos are at rock bottom with the cost of telephone calls - so investing heavily in computer and internet hardware very quickly erodes any savings in toll charges.
But it's OK, I won't tell your better halves Smile