How to arrive at wifi password?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 05:05:49

HildBeft Posted:
Great tips..
Thanks for sharing

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
How to have Vonage and another land line?
On Oct 20, 2016 at 04:55:03

massrman Posted:
The devices are
available at
different price
margins , please
share your
estimated

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:48:03

massrman Posted:
Hi these are most
commonly used SIP
PBX interops and
their
configuration
guides,

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
IP PBX for small business
On Sep 30, 2016 at 00:37:45

Sammy00 Posted:
Has anyone setup a
W52p phone for
vonage? I have
a W52p with two
wireless handsets,

In The Forum:
Hard Wiring - Installation
Topic:
W52p Setup
On Aug 30, 2016 at 10:38:01

James44 Posted:
Hi, I am
looking for a good
Sip Trunking
provider in
Canada. they
should offer

In The Forum:
Vonage
Topic:
A good sip trunking provider
On Jul 17, 2016 at 23:42:46

Vonage VoIP Forums

Vonage In The News
Vonage Holdings Corp. Reports Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2013 Results

Carolyn Katz Elected to Board of Directors of Vonage Holdings Corp.

Syndication

Vonage Customer Reviews
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal
Vonage vs. Time Warner Cable SoCal

Vonage UK Review
Vonage UK Review

Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006
Vonage Pros and Cons for 2006

Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review
Vonage, a VT2142 and a RTP300, My Experiences - A Detailed Review

Salt Lake City: impressions after several months
Salt Lake City: impressions after several months

Vonage Reviews

Post new topic   Reply to topic  Vonage® VoIP Forum - Vonage News, Reviews And Discussion » Vonage Forum Archive
VonageTPA
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Call them back and keep pestering them to fix it... A MAC address change is something that they can do instantly, if they know what they're doing.

Phones: various
Total calls since Jul 24, 2005: 4,794 calls
Total Minutes since Jul 24, 2005: 25,552 minutes
booma
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

VonageTPA wrote:
Call them back and keep pestering them to fix it... A MAC address change is something that they can do instantly, if they know what they're doing.

So I'll assume they don't know what they're doing. This is encouraging for a new Vonage user.. Rolling Eyes

Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, unfortunately Vonage has grown faster than their plans...so in that process, they've outsourced their call center (level 1, a.k.a. Phillipines/India/funny-speaking people), and hired a bunch of new people for their call center in NJ... BUt, it takes time to train people, and even more time for people to gain experience with the product. This is common with many Voip providers.

Phones: various
Total calls since Jul 24, 2005: 4,794 calls
Total Minutes since Jul 24, 2005: 25,552 minutes
booma
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Growing pains can hurt. Voip as a technology is still in its infancy. Once the technology is such that any Mom or Pop can easily hook up an adapter and get phone service it will take off. Until then the only way they get more subscribers (Vonage claims to be at 1.6 million) is to be an enormous value. Value is more than just the monthly fee, it's also delivering a usable service.

I suspect that hundreds (thousands?) of subscribers on this forum, though they have legitimate complaints for the most part, are still a minority of the customer base. I just hope Vonage is smart enough to figure out how to catch up. Truth is they will be bought by some larger company in the not too distant future. Their upcoming IPO is the next step in their plan. Chances are good that if they have a good support infrastructure when they get bought, they could continue to operate as a separate entity. I emphasis could. But they won't have a pray if their support infrastructure is weak.

Here's to changing the model for telecommunications in North America -- and hopefully the world!

New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Not very smart when it comes to customer support Reply with quote Back to top

I ordered Vonage on April 22 and rec'd an email confirmation that the adaptor would arrive, via DHL, on April 28. On April 28 I awoke early to find I had no telephone service. And no adaptor. I called CS on Saturday, spent 2 hours on the phone and was assured that the adaptor would arrive the next day. I spent 1 1/2 hours on the phone on Sunday and over 1 hour on the phone today, speaking to a total of 8 different people at Vonage; NONE of them could help me or follow through with promises made. NOT exactly the hallmark of a business bent on customer satisfaction, is it?

Still no adaptor, Monday morning. I have been unable to work my job (transmit from a laptop, send/receive faxes) and have, essentially, lost my job b/c of this failing.

In calling Vonage for rectification, they offer me nothing. No refund of shipping charge(the fault of the carrier, that the item did not arrive timely, not mine) or a free month or two of service.
The issue is this: they cut the existing phone service BEFORE having confirmation that the adaptor had arrived at the customer's home. I was, and still am, w/o telephone service and unable to work. Vonage cares nothing for this and apparently also that I will be going before 3500 of my service - industry peers in an upcoming conference and will have no problem informing them of my very unsatisfactory experience with Vonage. These people are responsible for planning, building and decorating multi-milionaires' homes all over the West coast and NW Canada, and in doing so make technological recommendations every day. I can assure Vonage that a very good bit of business will be lost on their part simply because they did not see fit to make two small moves toward customer satisfaction in this situation.

I tried calling the Account Maintenance Dept, as "Mary" from New Jersey called it this morning. (Mary, I was told, is a supervisor, and was "unable to anything" to help me today. What a shame.) The "wait" time according to the automated greeted was "over 25 minutes-your wait time may vary." Is it any wonder the wait time is so long with such poor customer service. I'd be willing to bet Vonage doesn't see 5 years in business.

I will happily pay 3 times more for my existing service because I get what I pay for... customer service and a willingness to keep my business when problems arise; not just a bunch of people telling me how "sorry" they are for my "inconvenience."
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Not very smart when it comes to customer support Reply with quote Back to top

Klouri wrote:
The issue is this: they cut the existing phone service BEFORE having confirmation that the adaptor had arrived at the customer's home. I was, and still am, w/o telephone service and unable to work.

I'm curious about this statement. Not that I disagree that the adapter is, in fact, late, and that Vonage should be doing something (like telling you to go down to a local store and pick up an adapter which they would refund you for, or SOMETHING other than an insincere apology)...

Vonage could not have cut off your old service, that would have been your old phone company. The only reason Vonage might even be associated with this disconnect is if a LNP (Local Number Portability) request was made to transfer your phone number over to Vonage. That usually takes at least two weeks after the Letter of Authorization (LOA) is sent to the carrier that is releasing the number. Generally, this allows plenty of time for the adapter to arrive.

Do you mean that you requested a LNP transfer of your phone number and the transfer completed in less than a week? That's amazingly fast. I think most LNP transfers "count on" at least a couple of weeks, so Vonage obviously plans their shipping accordingly. In fact, that's why they issue you a temporary number until the LNP completes - usually LNP complaints are that it takes weeks or months for the old company to give up the number and disconnect the old line.

It does underscore a recommendation I've made a few times to people considering LNP. Instead of immediately transferring your old number, it may be worthwhile to just get a Vonage line with a new number, and try it out for a while to make sure that it works well for you, and that your Internet connection and equipment do well with it. Then, you can request that your number be transferred over as a "Virtual Number", which costs you $10 to set up and $5 a month.

If Vonage doesn't work out, you simply cancel it and your old service is there, ready to switch back to immediately.

After the LNP has completed and you have both phone numbers on your Vonage account, a simple (grin) call to Customer Service should allow you to swap numbers, and kill the "new" Vonage phone number you were issued when you signed up.

This saves you the risk of having no service, or poor service, and having to wait forever to get your service switched back if things don't work out.

Klouri
New Forum Member
New Forum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Poor Customer Service Reply with quote Back to top

OK... Let me try to explain, because it is very simple, but, in the end, I do believe Vonage has the responsibility here. It may a small glitch in their overall system, but a glitch nonetheless that has adversely affected me and has the potential to adversely affect others in similar situations.

The router was due at my home Friday, April 28. It was not delivered because I live in a new subdivision that, apparently, DHL cannot locate on a map. (It is rather large subdivision, of over 500 homes...) DHL did their duty and called the only telephone number they had for me, the one that Vonage supplied on the shipping order, to ask me directions. Because the telephone service was disconnected, they could not reach me for directions.

Vonage states that it lies with my old carrier; they send out the LOA (I authorize my former company to port number to Vonage) and the OLD carrier shuts off service.

I have no problem with this chain of events, or even a longer wait period.

What I have a problem with is Vonage's inability to wait for confirmation of delivery of the adaptor to the customers' home BEFORE sending that LOA to the old carrier. If the adaptor's delivery was tracked and confirmation of same sent to Vonage, the adaptor could be waiting at the customers' home for connection when the old service was shut off, thereby making it the CUSTOMER'S full responsibilty for minimizing the period between disconnect and connect.

Even if it meant waiting a few extra days for Vonage service, at the very least I wouldn't have been without telephone service for the past 4 days.

This is a valid point. Being in a new neighborhood is not an abnormal thing; there is new construction going up all over the country. If a shipper cannot locate an address, and makes an attempt to contact the deliveree but cannot reach them because phone service is disconnected, what are they to do? The ONLY reason DHL was able to reach me today is because I spent 2 hours on the phone with Vonage Saturday and virtually FORCED the representative to transfer my home number to one of my cell phones so I could take my company's calls; I'd already missed over 15 business calls by that point, thereby puttin my job at risk. DHL was able to reach me this morning for directions. Had I not BEGGED the Vonage rep to transfer my home number to my cell, I would still not be getting any calls to my home number, and on top of that, apparently I had been left messages, but am still unable to retrieve those messages because of a block Vonage has on voicemail of some sort...??? I don't even know WHAT that is.

Today I spoke with 3 people and the last person was a "Mary" in New Jersey. I simply asked her to refund my shipping charges and send a letter to me stating the reason for no telephone service that I could fax to my company as the reason for no telepnone service and why I have been unable to work for the past 4 days.
She said "We don't do that" "this is not our problem" and was rude and insensitive. She was the only person I'd spoken to who wasn't sorry for my inconvenience.

At that, I'd simply had enough. I asked for a return shipping label for the adaptor that had finally been delivered just minutes after this phone call commenced, and she said "we don't do that either" that I would be fully responsible for returning the equipment on my own.

I've run a few businesses in the past and done very well. I can safely say with all certainty that THAT is not the way to make friends and influence people when you are trying to build a business.

In the end, it is an unfortunate set of circumstances, but not completely unique and not my fault. I paid the 79.00 for the router, followed the directions and awaited the equipment. I was willing to try this company's service and give them a chance. Now, out of the gate, I have this horrible experience get nothing but people who will offer no consolation? I don't need the aggravation. There are so many other companies with which to do business, it doesn't make sense.

And as I said, I will have no problem going before a few thousand of my peers and telling them of my experience. Word of mouth is powerful stuff; why do we want people to tell others of their great experiences with us and NOT tell a soul about their horrible ones?

Thanks for asking for clarification. I hope this helps. So, in the end, this isn't a technical issue, but a customer support and service issue and I've received NONE.
NateHoy
Vonage Forum MVM
Vonage Forum <b>MVM</b>

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Vonage's customer service is probably the worst of any company I've dealt with. If my actual telephone line wasn't so darned reliable, or the prices so darned low, I'd have cut and run months ago. But, fortunately, I've rarely had to deal with Customer Disservice, and when I have it's been for minor things that even a script-follower can handle. Thankfully.

However, partly in their defense, they ask you to sign and return the LOA and send them out immediately upon receipt LOA's immediately because phone companies are generally reluctant to release the old numbers. Look in the "LNP" section of the forum for the various times Vonage has been blamed for delaying LNP transfers and "costing me money" because they have to maintain their old service AND Vonage for weeks or in some cases months. So they've probably worked out their timing based on customers wanting their LNP's as fast as possible.

I've never heard of *any* LNP taking less than two weeks, so your LNP being so efficient is way outside the curve. So, to be fair, Vonage "got the ball rolling" with LNP because they never in a million years figured that a LNP would complete in less than transit time for a DHL package. Yours is a first, at least on these forums from what I've seen.

Heck, I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out how your old company managed it so fast. Your old phone company is to be commended for their efficiency. Unfortunately, they ended up being TOO efficient, where Vonage is used to telcos dragging their feet on LNP requests, "misrouting" LOA's, etc, to keep their customer paying for as many months as possible before finally releasing the number.

I'm not saying you did anything wrong. You did exactly what you were told, and Vonage made an error by planning everything out based on expectations of LNP response that obviously don't apply to your old phone company. But, to be fair, your LNP transfer was way outside the normal reality of how fast they work.

Their "false apologetic" attitude is certainly a problem, and I agree that they could have done a lot better (as in, done something at all) to fix the problem for you. In my not so humble opinion (grin), they should have at least told you to buy an adapter at a local store and offered you a refund of its cost when you returned the one they shipped you. That would have put a working adapter in your hands immediately.

But, they didn't, and it is fair to say that their customer service is, shall we say, "somewhat lacking" (just to keep it to an understatement). That's an area Vonage really, really needs to work on.

If you reconsider Voip (Vonage or otherwise) in the future, especially with the speed of your phone company, I'd either:

- Delay signing and returning your LOA until you have the device in-hand.
- Get a number issued by your Voip provider and start LNP once you have the device working.
- Purchase your adapter at a retail store, so you have it in-hand before you start the signup process.

I think you'll find that anyone who uses LNP is going to set things up largely like Vonage has.

booma
Vonage Forum Master
Vonage Forum Master

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

Klouri,

The unfortunate truth is that you are not alone. There are countless stories that are at least similar to yours. The other thing that is that Vonage really doesn't care. They have reached a sufficient number of subscribers to raise money with their IPO. With luck they will build out their support and infrastructure, but in the end this will all be sold to some other entity -- probably a baby bell or a cable company, then we'll see how service is and where the rates end up.

Best of luck without Vonage...

Vonage Forum Associate

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not surprised at this. Vonage support is pathetic. I have had five seperate accoutns with forum and the best support I ever got was when I ran into a Vonage sales rep at a best buy who gave me his card. He would help me from his private number. I would highly suggest that you lean as much as you can from this forum and buy some additional routers when this kind of thing happens. Then you can call them and give them the new mac id. then can deal with that because it's part of their script and training

Good luck.